View Poll Results: What type of accent sounds the nicest for a man to have?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • New England

    2 7.41%
  • New York

    2 7.41%
  • Southern

    13 48.15%
  • Midwestern

    6 22.22%
  • Western

    1 3.70%
  • California

    2 7.41%
  • Chicago

    1 3.70%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 63

Thread: What type of accent sounds the nicest for a man to have?

  1. #41
    Student Commoncents's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Quincy MA
    Last Seen
    08-26-10 @ 06:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    185

    Re: What type of accent sounds the nicest for a man to have?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Here is an accent map:

    Whats up with SF?

    Gays have their own accent?
    Someone told me once that there's a right and wrong,
    and that punishment would come to those who dare to cross the line. - TooL

  2. #42
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: What type of accent sounds the nicest for a man to have?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Well, if that's the case, fine. But it is hardly welcoming people from other places to say this place is primarily for Americans, but we will tolerate you as long as you put the views we wish to hear. I thought it was an international board. My mistake - there is a world elsewhere.
    Sigh...

    We have a variety of international posters that have been here for ages. Never once have I heard them voice that its "hardly welcoming". Its a board focusing primarily on U.S. Politics that had grew to encompass world politics as well. Its hosted in the US. The primary make up of its staff is US. THe primary make up of the membership is US. The primary make up of the posts are US. These are not meant as an insult, they are simple facts. The only language allowed is English, which is the US's language.

    If I am on a board that is hosted in France, talks primarily about French politics, made up primarily of French posters, run by french citizens, all while being done in french, that happens to also include news and thoughts about world events I wouldn't as an American suddenly expect that every thread must be geared to a world view or else they're being unwelcoming of me.

    "Tolerating" is an incorrect word here. Tolerate implies we don't care for international people on this board. This is a ridiculous notion. We have forums dedicated specifically for international talk, while still allowing international talk in the general forums as well. We've actually added forums because of requests for such of that nature. Threads concerning global politics, or global life style threads, are routinely participated in. There is a great amount of distance between simply "tolerating" a group of people and specifically catering to a small minority by shifting the entire foundation of the board and somehow its members as well.

    If you wish to leave because the simple fact of the matter is its a US-Centric board that welcomes members from all countries and welcomes discussion about politics of anywhere in the world because we can't force 80%+ of the membership to not general come at lifestyle polls from a perspective outside of their own to accomodate a small percent of a small percent that have an issue with it then I really don't know what to tell you.

  3. #43
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: What type of accent sounds the nicest for a man to have?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Sigh...

    If you wish to leave because the simple fact of the matter is its a US-Centric board that welcomes members from all countries and welcomes discussion about politics of anywhere in the world because we can't force 80%+ of the membership to not general come at lifestyle polls from a perspective outside of their own to accomodate a small percent of a small percent that have an issue with it then I really don't know what to tell you.
    I have put lot of time, effort and thought into my posts here, and I was under the impression that my efforts were valued by at least some other posters here.

    And until I read this post, I had no intention of leaving, but now I have some reason to give the matter due consideration. You have chosen to turn a passing remark into a serious issue regarding non-Americans at this place, and by implying that you really don't care whether I leave or stay, you have chosen to make me feel less than welcome here.

    So thank you for your frankness, you have made your point, and I will give the matter further thought.
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  4. #44
    Guru
    nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    07-04-15 @ 10:36 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,108

    Re: What type of accent sounds the nicest for a man to have?

    Never mind. I'm boycotting this thread in favour of the international one.
    Last edited by nonpareil; 02-26-10 at 01:23 PM.

  5. #45
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,474

    Re: What type of accent sounds the nicest for a man to have?

    Strangest accent I ever heard was years ago when I met a man from Texas. Only he wasn't originally from Texas. He came from Ireland and moved to Texas adopting that Texan accent on top of an Irish accent.

    It was so strange of a combination. You just wanted to say "what is wrong with your mouth". I can't even begin to explain it.

  6. #46
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: What type of accent sounds the nicest for a man to have?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I have put lot of time, effort and thought into my posts here, and I was under the impression that my efforts were valued by at least some other posters here.

    And until I read this post, I had no intention of leaving, but now I have some reason to give the matter due consideration. You have chosen to turn a passing remark into a serious issue regarding non-Americans at this place, and by implying that you really don't care whether I leave or stay, you have chosen to make me feel less than welcome here.

    So thank you for your frankness, you have made your point, and I will give the matter further thought.
    I will be very clear here. Your posts are valued, just as anyone elses is, be they american or european. That's not what's in discussion here. The discussion is you complaining about this threads focus based on a misconception of the general setup of the forum.

    My comments in regards to staying or going has nothing to do with you being foreign. Its with the fact I have no power over it.

    I can not sit here and lie to you and say "This is not a US-Centric" board because its frankly not the facts. I'm not going to lie to you to keep you. It being a US-centric board does not mean it only "tolerates" foreign posts or posters, or that it dislikes foreigners. If that was the case we would not have numerous longtime foriegn posters, international forums, and staff members that are not Americans.

    I corrected you, and tried to politely explain, the fact this is not technically a "International" forum in such a way that someone should be insulted or looked down upon for posting a US-centric thread, because while it is open to anyone in the world and to discuss anything in the world it is generally a US based forum.

    If this notion, that somehow because the vast majority of the membership and topics are US in nature and therefore the general attitude, mindset, and feel of the forum is going to be more US-Centric than International, is one that makes you instantly think DP simply "tolerates" foriegners then there's nothing I can do about that short of lying to you. That's why I said I don't know what to tell you. It seems you've drawn a line in the sand and the only way you were staying is for me to lie and say this board is something that its not. That's not me, that's you, and your seeming desire to think that a forum must either be consider completely "international" with a complete "international mindset" or else it simply "tolerates" Foriegners.

  7. #47
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,968

    Re: What type of accent sounds the nicest for a man to have?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Strangest accent I ever heard was years ago when I met a man from Texas. Only he wasn't originally from Texas. He came from Ireland and moved to Texas adopting that Texan accent on top of an Irish accent.

    It was so strange of a combination. You just wanted to say "what is wrong with your mouth". I can't even begin to explain it.
    haha...wow, that one would be extremely interesting to hear. It'd be like a British guy living in New York for a number of years.

  8. #48
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: What type of accent sounds the nicest for a man to have?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I will be very clear here. Your posts are valued, just as anyone elses is, be they american or european. That's not what's in discussion here. The discussion is you complaining about this threads focus based on a misconception of the general setup of the forum.

    It seems you've drawn a line in the sand and the only way you were staying is for me to lie and say this board is something that its not. That's not me, that's you, and your seeming desire to think that a forum must either be consider completely "international" with a complete "international mindset" or else it simply "tolerates" Foriegners.
    I take your point, and I have already admitted that I was mistaken in the impression that this is an international forum. And I am not an unreasonable person who inflexibly draws lines in the sand. Please do not misrepresent me as such.

    But let's stick to the facts, I did not complain about anything. There was some confusion when another American poster gave an English accent as his choice and was told that the question only regarded American accents. I then said, in a clearly joking yet polite manner (accompanied by a LOLZ and a ), that this was typical of American attitudes, implying that it should logically have stipulated American accents.

    I accept your insistence that this is an American forum, but if the question were which car do you like, and someone answered Mercedes, do you think it would be reasonable to disallow that, because the question automatically signifies American cars? Can you not see the point I'm making?

    If the forum were based in the UK with a majority Brit membership, and the same question were asked, would you consider it reasonable that only British cars (both of them) were acceptable? Surely it is simply a matter of common sense. If the choice is limited to British cars, then there is some requirement to say so. Can you not see the logic of that?

    And as for staying, or leaving this board, I will keep my own council. If it is the latter, people will know soon enough by my absence, as I am not a believer in farewell threads.

    But thank you for going to the trouble of several lengthy posts by way of explanation. From what I have observed from your posts, you are a sincere person, so I appreciate the effort you have gone to.
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  9. #49
    Student Lucy Goosey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Constant Infraction
    Last Seen
    03-06-10 @ 10:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    206

    Re: What type of accent sounds the nicest for a man to have?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Simple question, what kind of sounds the nicest for a man to have.
    southern

  10. #50
    ANTI**ANTIFA
    ReverendHellh0und's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Temple of Solomon
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    75,502

    Re: What type of accent sounds the nicest for a man to have?

    Quote Originally Posted by Commoncents View Post
    Can I vote for British? Although I wouldnt send my worst enemy there as punishment,folks always sound just a little more civilized and cultured when speaking with a British accent.


    even in a cocnkey accent?
    Let evil swiftly befall those who have wrongly condemned us

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •