View Poll Results: Which of these socialist programs should we eliminate?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Public libraries

    13 41.94%
  • Public parks

    11 35.48%
  • Public education

    19 61.29%
  • VA hospitals

    9 29.03%
  • Social Security

    26 83.87%
  • Medicare

    23 74.19%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 39

Thread: Which of these socialist programs should be eliminated?

  1. #11
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Which of these socialist programs should be eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Again, what does that have to do with my point? I don't know any politicians who are advocating for a 100% socialized system just like I don't know any who are advocating for a 100% capitalist system. The fact that a politician objects to one particular iteration of socialism in one particular sector does not mean that it's hypocritical for them to support it in another.
    Regardless of whether or it advocates a %100 capitalist system, the Republican Party hasn't made an argument to justify its passion against socialism if it is willing to accept such a very high degree in so many industries.

    The question is supposed to provoke reflection among people who decry socialization or who turn popular indignation against socialization into political capital; if socialization can exist in some sense without being an abomination, then what is it about socialization that is so objectionable? The more exceptions we make the less black-and-white we can consider the issue. If you start saying these programs need to be socialized because they have a utilitarian benefit, then it is difficult to protest against any socialization which has a good chance of a utilitarian benefit.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 02-24-10 at 11:56 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  2. #12
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Last Seen
    07-07-11 @ 02:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    406

    Re: Which of these socialist programs should be eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    For those of you who cannot stand the idea of a national health care program because it's socialism, which of these other socialist programs do you think we should eliminate?

    If you do not choose all of them, please explain why.
    Your list of entitlements have one advantage over the typical HC proposed last year...

    Our out-of-pocket costs (taxes) are minimul, and we are not threatened with penalties if we opt out of using these programs. Last year's Obamacare was going to cost me far more than the taxes I put out for parks, libraries, Medicare, SS, etc.

  3. #13
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Which of these socialist programs should be eliminated?

    Yes, there are a few things which the government rather than the private market should do. However, you have to make a really, really good logical case for any thing which you think should be socialized that the private market is already responsible for. So far I have yet to hear such a case for health care; they've all been emotional (i.e. people NEED it!!!)

  4. #14
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Which of these socialist programs should be eliminated?

    None of the above. All of the listed programs should continue.

  5. #15
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Which of these socialist programs should be eliminated?

    I'm on the fence with libraries and the VA hospitals.
    A lot of people use libraries for free movie rentals and the VA could be more efficient if veterans were given an insurance card instead of them managing the hospitals.

    Public education- I can't agree with it, an institution that resembles a prison.
    It's to rigid, does some mental conditioning and I think there are much better ways to educate people.

    Social Security- It serves no real purpose.
    It takes people out of the work force to create the illusion of full employment and it is a disincentive for people to save for retirement.
    It has been horribly mismanaged as well.

    Medicare- There was no purpose for it's creation, other than to create a large niche voter group to pander to.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  6. #16
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Which of these socialist programs should be eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Not sure what your point is. If I created a similar poll asking proponents of national health care to say whether or not they supported things like socialized food, socialized housing, and a socialized economy, I would wager that most of them would say that they did not. Have I uncovered some brilliant failing in their logic? Of course not.
    This poll was meant for those people who object to a national health care policy SOLELY because "it's socialism". I understand that there are other legitimate reasons not to want it, but if your only reason is "socialism" then you have to explain why you agree with other forms of socialism.

    That's the hypocrisy this post was meant to address.

  7. #17
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Which of these socialist programs should be eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Public libraries. education and parks for the most part of state concerns and do not violate the tenth amendment.
    Just because state provides it doesn't suddenly make it not socialism.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Which of these socialist programs should be eliminated?

    The VA system isn't socialism.

    Socialism is the theft of wealth from those who earned it to provide unearned benefits for third parties.

    The veterans earned their medical benefits.

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Which of these socialist programs should be eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    This poll was meant for those people who object to a national health care policy SOLELY because "it's socialism".
    That's a significant reason.

    Socialism is unconstitutional.

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    I understand that there are other legitimate reasons not to want it, but if your only reason is "socialism" then you have to explain why you agree with other forms of socialism.
    What hypocrisy?

    I voted on your poll to get rid of all the socialist programs you listed, and kept the one program you listed that wasn't socialist.

  10. #20
    Human 2.0
    Maximus Zeebra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Western Europe
    Last Seen
    09-07-17 @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,568

    Re: Which of these socialist programs should be eliminated?

    Quote Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
    For those of you who cannot stand the idea of a national health care program because it's socialism, which of these other socialist programs do you think we should eliminate?

    If you do not choose all of them, please explain why.
    Where is the "none of them" option?
    Europe is illegally occupied by the US

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •