View Poll Results: The VA should be eliminated because it's Socialized Medicine which is Evil

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Agree

    3 6.38%
  • Disagree

    28 59.57%
  • I enjoy pointing out inconsistent beliefs

    16 34.04%
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 137

Thread: Socialized Medicine is Evil, therefore the VA should be eliminated

  1. #71
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Socialized Medicine is Evil, therefore the VA should be eliminated

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    So the rationale there is the VA deserves the best? And socialized medicine is the best we can offer them.

    Makes sense to me.
    Veterans make up a reletively small percentage of our population. Also, most veterans don't get all of their coverage from the VA depending what they did in the military, how long they were there, and how beat up they got. It's inpractical to use the VA model to cover all of America. It would be far too expensive
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

  2. #72
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Socialized Medicine is Evil, therefore the VA should be eliminated

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    If socialized medicine is the best you can offer someone, wouldn't be easier and cheaper and more expressive of your opinion of them to kick them in the balls, twice?
    I would think providing them with free medicare care would be optimum. Can we provide more funding to make the care better? Yes. Are you suggesting we provide more funding to provide greater quality of free care? I am in agreement with that.

    Or are you proposing to do away with free medical care for the VA (socialized medicine) in order to make them pay for their own care by whatever rates insurance companies choose to charge?

    I am opposed to that.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #73
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Socialized Medicine is Evil, therefore the VA should be eliminated

    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenAsparagus View Post
    Veterans make up a reletively small percentage of our population. Also, most veterans don't get all of their coverage from the VA depending what they did in the military, how long they were there, and how beat up they got. It's inpractical to use the VA model to cover all of America. It would be far too expensive
    We are the only industrialized nation doesn't have some type of nationalized health care, many of which are not as affluent as our own.

    However, they do no not waste a quarter of the money we waste on our military so they can afford to provide affordable health care for their own people.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #74
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: Socialized Medicine is Evil, therefore the VA should be eliminated

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    The reason the VA needs to be overhauled or replaced isn't because it's "socialist". (it isn't socialist) It's because the men and women who agreed to dedicated part or most of their lives in service to our country deserve GREAT medical care for the rest of their lives. That is one of the boons for military service. (hence why it's not socialist) The VA is not great medical care, and that is the only reason it needs to be replaced/overhauled. It needs to be replaced with something that IS great medical care for our vets.
    Hear Hear!

    .
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  5. #75
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Socialized Medicine is Evil, therefore the VA should be eliminated

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    How exactly do you figure that the VA is socialized medicine? Lifetime healthcare is one of the perks offered to soldiers who accept low pay, insane working conditions, extended deployments, and risk to life and limb. Only an idiotic troll would make such a comparison.
    Look kids, someone who has no understanding of what socialism is.

    The VA owns the hospitals. Owns the equipment. Employs the doctors. Controls what procedures are done and when. That is a classic owning the means of production. When the state owns the means of production, that is socialism.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  6. #76
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Socialized Medicine is Evil, therefore the VA should be eliminated

    Quote Originally Posted by bicycleman View Post
    It's a socialized medical system for an exclusive club, those who gave of themselves to defend this country. Notice, it's not for everybody.
    But if socialized medicine is evil as many people claim and that as a reason to be against it, why aren't they against the VA which is by definition socialized medicine?

    The fact that it is somewhat exclusive is irrelevant to the notion of whether or not it is socialism.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  7. #77
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Socialized Medicine is Evil, therefore the VA should be eliminated

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    The VA is that government organization established to implement the contracts the government made with it's military servicemen.

    As such, it is not socialism.
    Uh No. The reason for its existence has no impact upon whether or not it is socialism or not. How it is operated defines whether it is socialism or not. By your argument, if the government made a contract with anyone to provide a clearly socialist benefit, that's not socialism despite being socialism in operation.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  8. #78
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Socialized Medicine is Evil, therefore the VA should be eliminated

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    The reason the VA needs to be overhauled or replaced isn't because it's "socialist". (it isn't socialist) It's because the men and women who agreed to dedicated part or most of their lives in service to our country deserve GREAT medical care for the rest of their lives. That is one of the boons for military service. (hence why it's not socialist) The VA is not great medical care, and that is the only reason it needs to be replaced/overhauled. It needs to be replaced with something that IS great medical care for our vets.
    Wrong like everyone else. The reason for its existence has no impact upon if something is socialism. If the government owns the means of production, that is by definition socialism independent of any reason why such a service exists. The government owns the means of production for the VA, thereby rendering it socialism by its very definition. The fact that it is for soldier is irrelevant. It could be for ANYONE. How it is operated defines whether or not it is socialism.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  9. #79
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Socialized Medicine is Evil, therefore the VA should be eliminated

    NOTE

    I'm not arguing FOR or AGAINST socialism medicine. In fact many of the VA stories are pretty horrific as to what 'care' and I use that term extremely loosely is provided.

    However, deriding Obama's plan because it's socialism and calling socialism evil at the same time as funding the VA is a very contradictory position. On one hand, you're against Obama's plan because it's socialism, yet you voted to increase funding for a by its very definition a socialist program. That makes no sense from an ideological point of view.

    Calling socialism evil but then defending the VA is also good for a few laughs. It's like saying dictatorships are evil and then funding one. HELLO? Anyone home?

    Any republican who is against Obama's plan because its Socialism yet voted to increase VA fund is hypocrite. Which includes both Republican Senate and House minority leaders.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  10. #80
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Socialized Medicine is Evil, therefore the VA should be eliminated

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    NOTE

    I'm not arguing FOR or AGAINST socialism medicine. In fact many of the VA stories are pretty horrific as to what 'care' and I use that term extremely loosely is provided.

    However, deriding Obama's plan because it's socialism and calling socialism evil at the same time as funding the VA is a very contradictory position. On one hand, you're against Obama's plan because it's socialism, yet you voted to increase funding for a by its very definition a socialist program. That makes no sense from an ideological point of view.

    Calling socialism evil but then defending the VA is also good for a few laughs. It's like saying dictatorships are evil and then funding one. HELLO? Anyone home?

    Any republican who is against Obama's plan because its Socialism yet voted to increase VA fund is hypocrite. Which includes both Republican Senate and House minority leaders.
    It would make more sense for the government to contract private care providers for VA purposes.

    And the BEST private care providers, too.

    At least 1% of the national budget should be allocated to such.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •