View Poll Results: Ethics in Government? Who's?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Do you think ethics in government should be representative of the voters ethics?

    8 80.00%
  • Do you think government ethics should be different than the voters personal ethics?

    2 20.00%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: Ethics in Government, Should there be any? Who's should they be?

  1. #1
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Ethics in Government, Should there be any? Who's should they be?

    This poll is for the people that think there should be some kind of ethics in government.

    If you feel ethics are not necessary, feel free to say so and list your reasons.

    For those of you that think there should be ethics in government ~

    Do you think ethics in government (including their policies and programs) should be representative of the voters ethics,
    or, do you think government's ethics should be different than the voters personal ethics?


    And please talk about your reasons for either vote.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  2. #2
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Ethics in Government, Should there be any? Who's should they be?

    Other.
    The ethics of the Stoic Philosophers are probably the supreme of what anyone could consider right.

    "the foundation of Stoic ethics is that good lies in the state of the soul itself; in wisdom and self-control. Stoic ethics stressed the rule: "Follow where reason leads." One must therefore strive to be free of the passions,"

    "The four cardinal virtues of the Stoic philosophy are wisdom (Sophia), courage (Andreia), justice (Dikaiosyne), and temperance (Sophrosyne)"

    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoicism]Stoicism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #3
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Ethics in Government, Should there be any? Who's should they be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Other.
    The ethics of the Stoic Philosophers are probably the supreme of what anyone could consider right.

    "the foundation of Stoic ethics is that good lies in the state of the soul itself; in wisdom and self-control. Stoic ethics stressed the rule: "Follow where reason leads." One must therefore strive to be free of the passions,"

    "The four cardinal virtues of the Stoic philosophy are wisdom (Sophia), courage (Andreia), justice (Dikaiosyne), and temperance (Sophrosyne)"

    Stoicism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Where do you see we have veered from the four cardinal virtues? Or, do you think we are right on track?
    Last edited by Catawba; 02-18-10 at 02:34 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Ethics in Government, Should there be any? Who's should they be?

    NO! There should be no ethics in government. Anyone who gets elected should be able to sell his vote to the highest bidder openly. He shouldn't have to pay taxes or obey the laws he's making for the rest of us. He should be able to commit felony perjury and see no consequences, he should be able to keep wads of bribe money in his freezer, he should be able to ignore every single campaign pledge he makes.

    /sarcasm

  5. #5
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,208

    Re: Ethics in Government, Should there be any? Who's should they be?

    Democracy means just that.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  6. #6
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Ethics in Government, Should there be any? Who's should they be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Democracy means just that.
    Do you think the government operates under the ethics of the electorate?

    Does the government operate under the same ethics we teach our children?

    What do you see that needs to change?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #7
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Ethics in Government, Should there be any? Who's should they be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Where do you see we have veered from the four cardinal virtues? Or, do you think we are right on track?
    We have not held those virtues at all, look anywhere and they are replaced with personal, superficial desires.

    People are not happy with what they have and they seek to take it from others.
    That isn't limited to rich or poor, it's happening on all levels.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  8. #8
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Ethics in Government, Should there be any? Who's should they be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    We have not held those virtues at all, look anywhere and they are replaced with personal, superficial desires.

    People are not happy with what they have and they seek to take it from others.
    That isn't limited to rich or poor, it's happening on all levels.
    I would be interested in specific examples of where our government's policies conflict with the 4 cardinal virtues, which I believe are the same virtues (ethics) we teach our children. And I agree our government's policies should be the same.

    In your statement above that I bolded, are you referring to our foreign policy?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  9. #9
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Ethics in Government, Should there be any? Who's should they be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I would be interested in specific examples of where our government's policies conflict with the 4 cardinal virtues, which I believe are the same virtues (ethics) we teach our children. And I agree our government's policies should be the same.

    In your statement above that I bolded, are you referring to our foreign policy?
    Everything it seems, is an attempt to do that.
    Whether it's cash for clunkers, overseas influence of other countries etc.

    Just about anything a government does comes down to money and those competing interests seem to seek to secure more than what they earned at the point of the federal gun.

    I do not believe that children are taught those virtues but that is just me.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  10. #10
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Ethics in Government, Should there be any? Who's should they be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Everything it seems, is an attempt to do that.
    Whether it's cash for clunkers, overseas influence of other countries etc.

    Just about anything a government does comes down to money and those competing interests seem to seek to secure more than what they earned at the point of the federal gun.

    I do not believe that children are taught those virtues but that is just me.
    I believe we do teach our children those those virtues today, but that we allow different standards by our government.

    If we are to follow the virtues of wisdom, justice, courage, and temperance, would we let our economy fail, would that be wise?

    We are in agreement about our military dominance of other countries for their resources.

    While looking at ways to improve the economy, wouldn't it be wise to also look at ways both to reduce our dependence on a declining supply of oil and reducing our contribution to climate change?

    In this way, the clunker car program addressed 3 major problems with one stone.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •