View Poll Results: How Can We Help Drug Addicts & Users?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Put them in Jail, Bankrupt them, Slave them, and take there Educations away, like it is now.

    3 11.11%
  • Leave Drug Addicts Alone & No More Drug Testing for Jobs

    3 11.11%
  • Help Them Get Treatment & No More Drug Testing for Jobs

    4 14.81%
  • Other Helpful Ideas

    12 44.44%
  • None

    5 18.52%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 72

Thread: How Can We Help Drug Addicts & Users?

  1. #11
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: How Can We Help Drug Addicts & Users?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Employers should be able to drug-test their employers for whatever reason they want. Don't like it, don't take the job.
    Private Employers? Maybe. Others? Not so much. I feel it is a tread on civil rights.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  2. #12
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: How Can We Help Drug Addicts & Users?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Employers should be able to drug-test their employers for whatever reason they want. Don't like it, don't take the job.
    Sounds a little big brother/big government.

    Why should an employer have any business knowing the private lives of an employee as long as it doesn't affect their job?

    Base employment of job performance, not on big brother snooping into private lives.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  3. #13
    Slayer of the DP Newsbot
    danarhea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    39,746

    Re: How Can We Help Drug Addicts & Users?

    Speaking As a drug addict myself, I can state to a certainty that the only one who can help a drug addict is the drug addict.

    Why would I say that I am a drug addict, when I haven't used drugs in 25 years? Because I know what I am. I will be a drug addict until the day I die. I just choose not to take drugs. Until I realized this fact, any amount of "help" would have been wasted on me. It was up to me to quit using drugs, not others, and certainly not the government. I feel no pity for those who are still strung out. They made a choice, and are now facing the consequences for that choice. If they so choose, they can also make another choice, and that is to quit using drugs. I am not Superman, so I know for a fact that, if I can choose not to take drugs, so can anyone else.

    Same goes with alcoholics. Ever hear of this expression?

    Poor me, poor me, pour me another drink.
    It is exactly the same with drug addicts. The first step in choosing not to take drugs is for the addict to rid himself or herself of self pity, and then, like the Nike commercial says, just do it. It isn't easy, but once the choice is made, it can be done. In my life, I have been addicted to heroin and cocaine. During that time, I have taken just about every drug there is to take. I also survived, and I did it out of choice, not for any other reason.

    For those who say "Damn, Danarhea, you are a cold man in telling people they have to do something so hard". My response to that is "Who said that life is supposed to be easy"? You get out of life the effort you put into it. Effort is rewarding. No effort means that you are screwed, and there is nobody to blame but yourself, so either take the consequences or take the rewards. It is all up to you.

    And with that said, I will now put on my flameproof suit and wait for the inevitable flames that will be coming my way.
    Last edited by danarhea; 02-18-10 at 01:05 AM.
    The ghost of Jack Kevorkian for President's Physician: 2016

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: How Can We Help Drug Addicts & Users?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    Private Employers? Maybe. Others? Not so much. I feel it is a tread on civil rights.
    Having a job is not a right, civil or otherwise.

  5. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: How Can We Help Drug Addicts & Users?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Sounds a little big brother/big government.
    Letting business owners run their company is big government...

    Why should an employer have any business knowing the private lives of an employee as long as it doesn't affect their job?
    It's called private property rights.

    Base employment of job performance, not on big brother snooping into private lives.
    If you don't like it, work somewhere else. More liberty means more personal responsibility, but I guess some people don't like that...

  6. #16
    Sage
    disneydude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,144

    Re: How Can We Help Drug Addicts & Users?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Letting business owners run their company is big government...



    It's called private property rights.



    If you don't like it, work somewhere else. More liberty means more personal responsibility, but I guess some people don't like that...

    Yes....allowing businesses to essentially spy on the private lives of people is big brother and big government.
    You want to couch it into an argument that a business should be able to do whatever they want.
    Sorry....not as long as they want to do business in the United States. We have laws that say that employers cannot discriminate, have to comply with employment laws and we have something called the US Constitution that businesses have to comply with as well.

    Let job performance dictate the companies decisions. They have no right to be involved in the personal lives of their workers. Maybe in China...but not in America.
    <font size=5><b>Its been several weeks since the Vegas shooting.  Its it still "Too Early" or can we start having the conversation about finally doing something about these mass shootings???​</b></font>

  7. #17
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: How Can We Help Drug Addicts & Users?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Yes....allowing businesses to essentially spy on the private lives of people is big brother and big government.
    Asking someone to pee in a cup is not the same thing as spying on their private lives. What's more, a private employer is not the government, which makes your reference to "big government" absurd and perplexing.

    Either way, no one is forcing you to pee in the cup. If you don't want to pee in the cup, then you can just work somewhere else.

    You want to couch it into an argument that a business should be able to do whatever they want.
    I never said that. I said business owners should be able to exercise their basic property rights, i.e., dispensing with their money and property as they see fit.

    Sorry....not as long as they want to do business in the United States. We have laws that say that employers cannot discriminate, have to comply with employment laws...
    And the vast majority of those laws are infringements on private property rights.

    ...and we have something called the US Constitution that businesses have to comply with as well.
    And you say you're a lawyer!? You know the US Constitution is a restriction on government, not individuals, right? Maybe you're the one who needs to take a Con Law class, DD...

    Let job performance dictate the companies decisions. They have no right to be involved in the personal lives of their workers. Maybe in China...but not in America.
    They have a right to impose preconditions on the dispensation of their money and the use of their property. If you do not find the preconditions of that dispensation favorable, then you can simply refuse the terms and find someone more inclined to dispense of their possessions in a manner consistent with your desires.

    This is called individual liberty and personal responsibility. Nothing is guaranteed in this life except that it is entirely your's. Some people find this prospect frightening, so they require a nanny government to sooth and coddle them when reality does not conform to their infantile desires.
    Last edited by Ethereal; 02-18-10 at 02:50 AM.

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: How Can We Help Drug Addicts & Users?

    We can help them primarily by decriminalizing their activities, so that they don't have to do their drugs behind closed doors. Changing the legality will remove the stigma that society places on drug use. That stigma works against addicts because it them from the rest of society. For many, that is the reason they started in the first place. People with undiagnosed mental issues are also a big precursor to drug use.

    The war on drug users is one of the biggest crimes of humanity I can think of. Law enforcement should, at the most, be attacking the suppliers if they are so adamently anti-drug. Busting and charging users is an inefficient use of the justice system. These people have real problems and the dealers are the ones supplying the solution.

  9. #19
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,692

    Re: How Can We Help Drug Addicts & Users?

    If a private business wants to drug screen, that is their right. If you do not like it, apply at a different company.

    As far as helping drug addicts and users, my position on this has been greatly modified by my time here at DP. I have worked as a drug counselor for many years, and my position on this is probably a bit different than most drug counselors.

    End the "War on Drugs". It's a failure. Use all of the money wasted on the "War on Drugs" to set up either government run or government scholarshiped drug/alcohol rehabs. Decriminalize all drug usage. Decriminalize marijuana, but tax it heavily; add this money to the aforementioned money for drug rehabs. Possibly decriminalize the usage of other drugs, tax them, and add this money to the kitty. Any user/addict may check into a drug rehab free of charge. One of the biggest deterrents to getting treatment is cost... and insurance companies are of little use in this area. Minimum stay is 90 days. Post-stay, assistance is provided with housing and job for a static period of time. There would need to be a cap on how often one uses this service. Revolving door addicts would not be readily accepted.

    Welfare recipients MUST submit to random drug screening or they get no welfare check.

    Prevention, prevention, prevention, and at the school level in a major way, since most addicts start using as teens... or younger. And the way it is taught in the schools needs to change. Not EVERYONE who uses becomes an addict.

    Random drug screenings at school with suspicion.

    Any crime committed while intoxicated receives DOUBLE the consequences. With the program outlined above, there is no reason to NOT get help.

    It is true that no addict will get help unless they want to. However, no addict goes into treatment of their own accord. It is always because of some impending consequence. Further, the addict's behavior affects others.

    This is the bare bones of my "plan". There's more in the fine print.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  10. #20
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,677

    Re: How Can We Help Drug Addicts & Users?

    Quote Originally Posted by disneydude View Post
    Sounds a little big brother/big government.

    Why should an employer have any business knowing the private lives of an employee as long as it doesn't affect their job?

    Base employment of job performance, not on big brother snooping into private lives.
    Think about it...if you are an employer and your business depends on having employees that are clean and can represent you in a clear and professional manner it isnt inappropriate for the employer to insist on drug tests...provided that they pay for it. And MOST companies that offer drug testing also offer some form of therapy....it saves the company money in the long term to keep a trained employee as opposed to firing and rehiring another.

    Civil liberties has to be able to cut both ways. No one can FORCE you to take a drug test...but you dont HAVE to stay in a certain job either.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •