View Poll Results: Was Reagan a fiscal-small government conservative?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Because...

    38 38.78%
  • No, Because...

    60 61.22%
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 337

Thread: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

  1. #21
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Dav and I have been round and round on this. My opinion is that saying that you cut spending, except for the spending you like, and overall increased spending, and massively increased the deficit, then you are not a fiscal conservative. This whole idea that you can count only the spending that supports your claim, while ignoring the rest is a copout to my mind.
    Well we all know that it's not really spending if it is only temporary spending.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  2. #22
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Well we all know that it's not really spending if it is only temporary spending.
    Or spending for something we support.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Or spending for something we support.
    Or spending you don't tell your wife about.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #24
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    The main difference is that his military spending was intended to be temporary, while welfare spending never is.
    So you change your statement. Government by your definition didn't go up because it's temporary, never mind that government did actually increase under Reagan. Removing your cop out, you are wrong.

    By cutting domestic spending to a reasonable level
    Reasonable? Seriously? Military spending is still domestic in how the dollars flow. And Reagan's military spending was massive.

    and contributing to the fall of the Soviet Union, which permitted cutting military spending a huge amount, Reagan's budget allowed for the surpluses of the 90's even though no president after him cut domestic spending.
    You posted the charts I posted....and yet you say that.

    That makes little sense. Total discretionary dropped under Bush and Clinton proving you again wrong. How can you claim no other president did that when you posted charts showing other presidents after him did that?

    That's not to mention that, as I already said, he only got half of the cuts he wanted.
    I smell a cult of Reagan follower here.
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #25
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,849

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Or spending for something we support.
    Or if it kills some folks. 'Specially brown folks.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  6. #26
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:01 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,357
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Or if it kills some folks. 'Specially brown folks.
    Don't get carried away. The military budget under Reagan was intended to decrease the likelihood of having to kill something. And the enemy where caucasian.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Don't get carried away. The military budget under Reagan was intended to decrease the likelihood of having to kill something. And the enemy where caucasian.
    I think he means the Reagan administration's direct involvement in the crack epidemic of the 1980s(via the Iran-Contra affair) while also conducting Nancy Reagan's "Just say no" anti-drug campaign.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #28
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    So you change your statement. Government by your definition didn't go up because it's temporary, never mind that government did actually increase under Reagan. Removing your cop out, you are wrong.



    Reasonable? Seriously? Military spending is still domestic in how the dollars flow. And Reagan's military spending was massive.



    You posted the charts I posted....and yet you say that.

    That makes little sense. Total discretionary dropped under Bush and Clinton proving you again wrong. How can you claim no other president did that when you posted charts showing other presidents after him did that?



    I smell a cult of Reagan follower here.
    And yet you say that someone can be a fiscal conservative while also supporting a massive stimulus spending bill. Saying that they can be a fiscal conservative while increasing military spending isn't much of a stretch from that.

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    No. He temporarily increased defense spending by a lot as part of his cold war strategy, but he cut domestic spending more than any other president; in fact, he's the only one to do so in the last 45 years.
    Not really. He didn't increase defense spending at all. At the end of his period, he spend the same amount as he did when he took the office. From 6 to 6%.
    Government Spending Chart in United States 1981-1989 - Federal State Local

    His total spending went from 33.5% to 35%. Mostly due to the interest on the debt he obtained in his period.
    Government Spending Chart in United States 1981-1989 - Federal State Local

    Bill Clinton However decreased spending from 36.5% to 33.5 and was able to balance the budget. Sadly enough, the best fiscal conservative has been Bill Clinton.Government Spending Chart in United States 1993-2001 - Federal State Local

  10. #30
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    Not really. He didn't increase defense spending at all. At the end of his period, he spend the same amount as he did when he took the office. From 6 to 6%.
    Which is why I pointed out the temporary nature of his military spending. However, he did definitely increase it, and by not an insignificant amount. It just went up before it went back down.

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •