View Poll Results: Was Reagan a fiscal-small government conservative?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Because...

    38 38.78%
  • No, Because...

    60 61.22%
Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 337

Thread: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

  1. #251
    Pragmatic Idealist
    upsideguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rocky Mtn. High
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,053

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Yes. He did all he could to slow the expansion of government in the face of a hostile Congress. He cut domestic discretionary spending more than any other president, even though he only got half of the cuts that he wanted. He wasn't perfect, but he's as small-government a president we've had at least since Coolidge.
    Now there is a standard of excellence.

  2. #252
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by upsideguy View Post
    Now there is a standard of excellence.
    Why do liberals have such a problem with Reagan. What exactly did Reagan do to you. I know what he did to liberals, he destroyed them by taking away victims. Putting the name Reagan out there is like putting a red cape in front of a bull.

    Reagan's record is complete with good and bad just like all Presidents. The difference is the good in the Reagan record far outweighs the bad and that drives liberals crazy. Is there really anyone out there that wouldn't take the Reagan economy today vs. what we have? How about the Reagan Debt in 8 years? How about the Reagan economic growth? All liberals want to talk about is the debt which Obama will create in less than 2 years.

  3. #253
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Why do liberals have such a problem with Reagan. .
    Why do conservatives have such a problem with Clinton?

  4. #254
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Why do conservatives have such a problem with Clinton?
    Because the Reagan Record trumps the Clinton record by plenty. Put the two records side by side and get back to me. I can name the legislation that Reagan authorized and signed along with the initiatives implemented that led to the economic growth we had. With Clinton it was the Contract with American that Republicans put forth that Clinton signed after kicking and screaming. Reagan generated results whereas Clinton benefited from results.

  5. #255
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,124

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Why do liberals have such a problem with Reagan. What exactly did Reagan do to you. I know what he did to liberals, he destroyed them by taking away victims. Putting the name Reagan out there is like putting a red cape in front of a bull.

    Reagan's record is complete with good and bad just like all Presidents. The difference is the good in the Reagan record far outweighs the bad and that drives liberals crazy. Is there really anyone out there that wouldn't take the Reagan economy today vs. what we have? How about the Reagan Debt in 8 years? How about the Reagan economic growth? All liberals want to talk about is the debt which Obama will create in less than 2 years
    .
    reagan was bat **** crazy when he finally exited the office. but no crazier than his wife, nancy, who was consulting psychics
    he was a simpleton who was a pawn of the republican power brokers
    it was cheaper to borrow money from the mafia than the 20% prime rate charged during his term. that wiped out those who were not wealthy and were unable to weather the economic storm ... but that elite was then able to acquire assets very cheaply in the liquidation aftermath
    reagan implemented the neocon 'starve the beast' strategy to reduce programs for the social safety net by spending the money instead on unworkable crap such as his star wars effort
    and he was a racist. Herbert says it best here:
    ... He was opposed to the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964, which was the same year that Goodman, Schwerner and Chaney were slaughtered. As president, he actually tried to weaken the Voting Rights Act of 1965. He opposed a national holiday for the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He tried to get rid of the federal ban on tax exemptions for private schools that practiced racial discrimination. And in 1988, he vetoed a bill to expand the reach of federal civil rights legislation. ...
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/13/op...13herbert.html
    why do liberal Americans have a problem with reagan you ask; in short, reagan was a putz
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  6. #256
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    reagan was bat **** crazy when he finally exited the office. but no crazier than his wife, nancy, who was consulting psychics
    he was a simpleton who was a pawn of the republican power brokers
    it was cheaper to borrow money from the mafia than the 20% prime rate charged during his term. that wiped out those who were not wealthy and were unable to weather the economic storm ... but that elite was then able to acquire assets very cheaply in the liquidation aftermath
    reagan implemented the neocon 'starve the beast' strategy to reduce programs for the social safety net by spending the money instead on unworkable crap such as his star wars effort
    and he was a racist. Herbert says it best here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/13/op...13herbert.html
    why do liberal Americans have a problem with reagan you ask; in short, reagan was a putz
    I rest my case, what a bunch of BS. Facts trump your rhetoric and opinions. BEA.gov, BLS.gov give you the facts as do the results of Presidential rankings by historians.

    I certainly understand why people like you need so called leadership like Obama's. It doesn't matter what one does in your world when that someone is spending us into oblivion.

    Liberals always think with their hearts instead of their brain, always create victims, and always show intellectual dishonesty in their rhetoric.

  7. #257
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Because the Reagan Record trumps the Clinton record by plenty. Put the two records side by side and get back to me. I can name the legislation that Reagan authorized and signed along with the initiatives implemented that led to the economic growth we had. With Clinton it was the Contract with American that Republicans put forth that Clinton signed after kicking and screaming. Reagan generated results whereas Clinton benefited from results.
    Yes the results were so great that we turned into a debtor nation and Bush 41 had to raise taxes.

  8. #258
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Yes the results were so great that we turned into a debtor nation and Bush 41 had to raise taxes.
    LOL, if we were a debtor nation then with a 2.6 trillion dollar debt, what are we now with a 13 trillion dollar debt with a President that added more debt in 2 years than Reagan did in 8?

    Reagan took office with a 900 billion debt and left it at 2.6 trillion

    Obama took office with a 10.6 trillion debt and after less than 2 years it is almost 13 trillion.
    Last edited by Conservative; 04-14-10 at 10:32 AM.

  9. #259
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post

    Reagan took office with a 900 billion debt and left it at 2.6 trillion

    Obama took office with a 10.6 trillion debt and after less than 2 years it is almost 13 trillion.
    WOW so Reagan more than DOUBLED the debt. No wonder Bush 41 had to raise taxes and we turned into a debtor nation.

  10. #260
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,124

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    LOL, if we were a debtor nation then with a 2.6 trillion dollar debt, what are we now with a 13 trillion dollar debt which a President that added more debt in 2 years than Reagan did in 8?

    Reagan took office with a 900 billion debt and left it at 2.6 trillion

    Obama took office with a 10.6 trillion debt and after less than 2 years it is almost 13 trillion.
    EXCELLENT point
    reagan tripled the size of the national debt (290%) while Obama increased it by 22% ... recognizing much of Obama's expenditure was spent stabilizing a broken exonomy left by his republican predecessor

    i'm not laughing WITH you
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •