View Poll Results: Was Reagan a fiscal-small government conservative?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Because...

    38 38.78%
  • No, Because...

    60 61.22%
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 337

Thread: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

  1. #231
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Amazing_Troy View Post
    Does "Slowing" the growth of government make you a "small government guy"? I'd think he'd like to THINK he was, but really...did he downsize any of the Federal government? Though can you blame him for following up a President and Congress who's amazing legislation included the CRA?
    When you have an equal branch of Govt. in the Congress who is against any cuts the best you can hope for is slowing the growth of govt. The President alone can downsize very little but will always get the blame from those who do not understand the relationship between the President and Congress as defined by our Constitution.

    The Community Reinvestment Act was one of the worst pieces of legislation ever enacted and basically made home ownership an entitlement regardless of income levels. This is what led to the financial crisis we had in 2008 and one we are trying to dig out of now.

  2. #232
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    02-25-10 @ 09:33 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    When you have an equal branch of Govt. in the Congress who is against any cuts the best you can hope for is slowing the growth of govt. The President alone can downsize very little but will always get the blame from those who do not understand the relationship between the President and Congress as defined by our Constitution.

    The Community Reinvestment Act was one of the worst pieces of legislation ever enacted and basically made home ownership an entitlement regardless of income levels. This is what led to the financial crisis we had in 2008 and one we are trying to dig out of now.
    I think he could have thrown a little more weight around. He was an actor, that should have made him the BEST President ever. But he went politician on us.

  3. #233
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,127

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    When you have an equal branch of Govt. in the Congress who is against any cuts the best you can hope for is slowing the growth of govt. The President alone can downsize very little but will always get the blame from those who do not understand the relationship between the President and Congress as defined by our Constitution.

    The Community Reinvestment Act was one of the worst pieces of legislation ever enacted and basically made home ownership an entitlement regardless of income levels. This is what led to the financial crisis we had in 2008 and one we are trying to dig out of now.
    CRA did NOT make home ownership anything approaching an entitlement

    CRA said that federally guaranteed lenders were expected to make loans in the same communities from which they received deposits

    that's it. there was nothing which required the lenders to water down their credit criteria in those communities. the lenders simply could not ignore legitimate loan requests which originated out of those economically disadvantaged communities

    it had NOTHING to do with the financial meltdown on the shrub's watch
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #234
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Amazing_Troy View Post
    I think he could have thrown a little more weight around. He was an actor, that should have made him the BEST President ever. But he went politician on us.
    Many say he was ONE of the best Presidents ever and his record isn't what some want to claim. Destroying the "Evil Empire" wasn't a small task and led to the peace dividend in the 90's. His tax cuts led to almost 20 million jobs created and that doubled tax revenue and put more people on the path to financial stability.

    Reagan's efforts led to strong economic growth, job creation, and individual wealth creation. The fact that it is demonized today, over 20 years after he left office by a bunch of kids who weren't around during that period says a lot about the failure of our education system that seems to be more interested in promoting dependence on the Govt. to personal responsibility.

  5. #235
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    CRA did NOT make home ownership anything approaching an entitlement

    CRA said that federally guaranteed lenders were expected to make loans in the same communities from which they received deposits

    that's it. there was nothing which required the lenders to water down their credit criteria in those communities. the lenders simply could not ignore legitimate loan requests which originated out of those economically disadvantaged communities

    it had NOTHING to do with the financial meltdown on the shrub's watch
    Are you really this naive? Yes, CRA did put us on the path to an entitlement program and led to the growth of ACORN and loans to people who couldn't afford the houses they were lent money to buy.

    Technically you are right but realistically wrong. It has evolved like most liberal programs into what Barney Franks calls the "inherent right of every American to own a home"

    I sure wish people like you would grow up and instead of calling Bush "shrub" actually objectively look at his results instead of buying what you are being told. Guess too many today lack individual pride and have no problem being proven wrong.

  6. #236
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,127

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Are you really this naive? Yes, CRA did put us on the path to an entitlement program and led to the growth of ACORN and loans to people who couldn't afford the houses they were lent money to buy.
    you keep spouting a bunch of crap without any basis in fact
    what drove the writing of mortgages to individuals without the capacity to pay was the desire of wall street to offer a high yield product - collateralized debt obligations - to the many buyers who sought high yield investments they wrongly believed were soundly secured

    Technically you are right but realistically wrong.
    like i said, you keep spouting unsubstantiated crap such as that

    It has evolved like most liberal programs into what Barney Franks calls the "inherent right of every American to own a home"
    barney did say that - or something to that effect. but his words did not spawn the processing of bad paper, sold on the secondary market to unwary investors
    the desire for wall street to sell snake oil - over valued collateralized debt obligations and derivatives - the latter of which is still going on and remains unregulated because the finance industry does not want it regulated

    I sure wish people like you would grow up and instead of calling Bush "shrub" actually objectively look at his results instead of buying what you are being told.
    dubya bin lyin was a pitiful excuse for a president. and he was skillfully handled by the man behind the throne - ole dead eye dick. but you are welcome to point out his "accomplishments" and i will respond in kind. i look forward to debating that topic with you. let's just do it in another thread so that we do not further derail this one

    Guess too many today lack individual pride and have no problem being proven wrong.
    i will defer to your substantial experience regarding that point
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #237
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,249

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    justabubba;1058583136]you keep spouting a bunch of crap without any basis in fact
    what drove the writing of mortgages to individuals without the capacity to pay was the desire of wall street to offer a high yield product - collateralized debt obligations - to the many buyers who sought high yield investments they wrongly believed were soundly secured


    like i said, you keep spouting unsubstantiated crap such as that
    I guess you can never change the mind of an ideologue. Barney Frank and Chris Dodd disagree with you but I am sure you are right. There legislation didn't matter whereas yours did.

    barney did say that - or something to that effect. but his words did not spawn the processing of bad paper, sold on the secondary market to unwary investors
    the desire for wall street to sell snake oil - over valued collateralized debt obligations and derivatives - the latter of which is still going on and remains unregulated because the finance industry does not want it regulated
    Wall Street did nothing wrong and worked within the law. What the industry wants is irrelevant to what Frank and Congress wanted.

    dubya bin lyin was a pitiful excuse for a president. and he was skillfully handled by the man behind the throne - ole dead eye dick. but you are welcome to point out his "accomplishments" and i will respond in kind. i look forward to debating that topic with you. let's just do it in another thread so that we do not further derail this one
    You are wasting too much valuable time spouting hate rhetoric over a President that did absolutely nothing to hurt you or your family. It is ignorance like this that gave us Obama.

  8. #238
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    It has a lot to do with libertarianism. If you basically believe the federal government should be given a blank check for anything they deem as defense - because no one can quantify the amount of money required to keep our country safe, then that is about as anti-libertarian of an argument as it gets.
    Okay then, Mr. Smarty-Pants, give me an exact dollar amount and why it is the best amount. Be sure to outline every program you feel is necessary and how much it will cost to implement each one.

  9. #239
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    He simply was not fiscally conservative. Why does that bother you to the point of partisanship?
    It bothers us because you haven't made a solid argument in favor of your position; it has nothing to do with partisanship. And asserting things is not the same as proving them - so, you can repeat, "He simply was not fiscally conservative" until the cows come home, but until you offer a reasonable argument in favor of that position I will not accept it.

    You've basically implied that Reagan should have raised taxes or cut defense spending in order to accommodate the rampant domestic spending of the Congress. That is patently absurd I will not agree with it. So, either change your argument so that it is no longer intellectually dishonest, or accept the fact that your assertions are nothing more than your opinion.

  10. #240
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Ok. So is....... a balanced budget ;-) But we know that is not a "conservative" thing....
    You see. This is your entire argument and it is utterly lacking in intellectual honesty. You simplistically equate the deficit with fiscal irresponsibility on the part of Reagan without actually examining the circumstances which surrounded said deficit. If you wish to take such a myopic view of history that is your prerogative but do not suggest that someone is a partisan tool simply because they refuse to accept your overly simplistic narrative about balanced budgets.

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •