View Poll Results: Was Reagan a fiscal-small government conservative?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Because...

    38 38.78%
  • No, Because...

    60 61.22%
Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 337

Thread: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

  1. #221
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Goldenboy219;1058582700]Where did you get it? The sentence structure looks identical to that of the wikipedia article summary i posted, although there was a change in words at the end of the first sentence.
    [ame=http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0h&oq=def&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS362US362&q=define%3afiscal+conse rvative]define:fiscal conservative - Google Search[/ame]

    Here is the actual wiki article of which i gave a link to the source: click it and tell me with honesty that you did not change anything. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_conservatism
    I changed nothing


    Did i post an edited wiki article to strengthen my argument? No, that was you. You have a passion for partisanship, and can care less if capitalism and free enterprise is upheld unless of course it is advocated by your GOP idols
    My GOP Idol gave a tax cut to all American taxpayers. Sorry you think that the govt. needs the money more than the taxpayer however as proven tax cuts increased the number of taxpayers and thus govt. tax revenue.

    You sound like another brainwashed liberal who simply cannot understand our basic economy built on consumerism. People with more of their money stimulates and grows the economy.

  2. #222
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Where did you get it? The sentence structure looks identical to that of the wikipedia article summary i posted, although there was a change in words at the end of the first sentence.

    Here is the actual wiki article of which i gave a link to the source: click it and tell me with honesty that you did not change anything. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_conservatism



    This is what you posted:



    Now i have to ask you where did you get that from? Please provide a link. If you cannot provide one, at least have the integrity to admit you changed the last part of sentence one from the wiki article.



    Nope! You did not.... Which is why you have no credibility. Please provide me with the link



    Did i post an edited wiki article to strengthen my argument? No, that was you. You have a passion for partisanship, and can care less if capitalism and free enterprise is upheld unless of course it is advocated by your GOP idols.

    Just another prime example of the dishonesty that conservative has been doing since he landed on the shores of DP.

    More are now seeing what he is and he is just about relegating himself to the background noise of a few others that specialize in drive by.
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  3. #223
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Just another prime example of the dishonesty that conservative has been doing since he landed on the shores of DP.

    More are now seeing what he is and he is just about relegating himself to the background noise of a few others that specialize in drive by.
    Look, I couldn't care less what you think, but when I put in the Google box define fiscal conservative I copied what came up. I changed nothing but as is usual with most liberals you want to divert from the actual Reagan record and what he proposed. Here is what I copied

    Web
    Related p
    hrases: reformer and fiscal conservative


    Definitions of fiscal conservative on the Web:

    Fiscal conservatism is a political term used in North America to describe a fiscal policy that advocates a reduction in overall government spending. Fiscal conservatives often consider deficit and national debt reduction as well as balancing the federal budget of paramount importance. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_conservative

    Like all liberals you have a serious ego problem that requires you to be right on every issue when the facts refute your rhetoric.

    Reagan did his best to lower the size of Govt. but did the next best thing, giving people a tax cut that was designed to make them less dependent on the govt. That should have led to a smaller govt. but no, liberals are more interested in creating dependence than allowing the individual to become less dependent.

    So, you can divert and distort but you cannot run from reality.
    Last edited by Conservative; 02-24-10 at 02:58 PM.

  4. #224
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by donc View Post
    Just another prime example of the dishonesty that conservative has been doing since he landed on the shores of DP.

    More are now seeing what he is and he is just about relegating himself to the background noise of a few others that specialize in drive by.
    There is nothing Centrist about you. You are just another cheerleader for a failed ideologist who hasn't a clue what went on during the 80's so you have to personally attack me. Don't worry, I can take it and don't worry I will continue to point out the fallacy of your argument and how individuals keeping more of their money stimulates and grows the economy and makes individuals less dependent on the govt.

  5. #225
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    It would help if you found out where there spending went during the Reagan years and who actually spent the money.

    "Reagan ordered a massive buildup of the military...."

    [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidency_of_Ronald_Reagan]Presidency of Ronald Reagan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]


    So you still claiming it was Congress that pushed for the massive military spending?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  6. #226
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post

    "Reagan ordered a massive buildup of the military...."

    Presidency of Ronald Reagan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


    So you still claiming it was Congress that pushed for the massive military spending?
    Nope, never claimed that at all, Reagan built up the military as was his responsibility under the Constitution. He did not however ramp up domestic spending as Congress did that.

    You seem to have a real problem understanding actual results as you continue to ignore them.

    Reagan grew the military from 150 billion to 300 billion dollars in 8 years, hardly the massive build up some seem to claim especially since he grew Revenue to over 1.5 trillion during that period of time.

    You really ought to check out the actual Reagan record not just the leftwing blogs or sites you frequent.

  7. #227
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Look, I couldn't care less what you think, but when I put in the Google box define fiscal conservative I copied what came up. I changed nothing but as is usual with most liberals you want to divert from the actual Reagan record and what he proposed. Here is what I copied

    Web
    Related p
    hrases: reformer and fiscal conservative


    Definitions of fiscal conservative on the Web:

    Fiscal conservatism is a political term used in North America to describe a fiscal policy that advocates a reduction in overall government spending. Fiscal conservatives often consider deficit and national debt reduction as well as balancing the federal budget of paramount importance. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiscal_conservative

    Like all liberals you have a serious ego problem that requires you to be right on every issue when the facts refute your rhetoric.

    Reagan did his best to lower the size of Govt. but did the next best thing, giving people a tax cut that was designed to make them less dependent on the govt. That should have led to a smaller govt. but no, liberals are more interested in creating dependence than allowing the individual to become less dependent.

    So, you can divert and distort but you cannot run from reality.
    You did not even click on the link to make sure it was accurate. I appologize for saying you altered the text, but the source from which wiki pulls said something entirely different.

    Understand my point?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  8. #228
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SoCal
    Last Seen
    07-07-11 @ 02:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    406

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Wow, this thread is a bunch of crap.

    Reagan spent a bunch on the military because we were in the Cold War. The only reason there were deficits is because the Congress would not accommodate Reagan's budget requests. Yea, so blame Reagan for doing what was necessary to defend the country...
    A lot of people like to forget Congress' part in steering the nation.

  9. #229
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,264

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    You did not even click on the link to make sure it was accurate. I appologize for saying you altered the text, but the source from which wiki pulls said something entirely different.

    Understand my point?
    Thank you, I never alter text and never would. Now you can explain that to Donc.

    Being a fiscal conservative doesn't always generate the defined results because we do not elect a King. Reagan did his best to reign in the size of Govt. and started the process by cutting taxes so people are less dependent on the govt. Congress rejected his tax cuts so he took his message right to the American people and public opinion forced Congress to pass the 25% tax cut over three years.

    Reagan then proposed spending less than Congress wanted and tried to pass Gramm-Rudman to further reign in spending. All were commitments broken by Congress who saw the increase in revenue as an opportunity to make people more dependent. They became a kid in a candy store and tied much of the spending to military and tax bills that Reagan wanted that were needed to grow the economy and empower people.

    The fact that Reagan proposed reductions but Congress rejected his efforts doesn't make him less of a fiscal conservative but it does make him responsible along with Congress for the results.

  10. #230
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    02-25-10 @ 09:33 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Does "Slowing" the growth of government make you a "small government guy"? I'd think he'd like to THINK he was, but really...did he downsize any of the Federal government? Though can you blame him for following up a President and Congress who's amazing legislation included the CRA?

Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •