View Poll Results: Was Reagan a fiscal-small government conservative?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Because...

    38 38.78%
  • No, Because...

    60 61.22%
Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 337

Thread: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

  1. #11
    Bus Driver to Hell
    Thorgasm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:12 PM
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    68,194

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    No.

    Borrow and spend.
    Quote Originally Posted by faithful_servant View Post
    Being a psychiatric patient does not mean that you are mentally ill.



  2. #12
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Reagan didn't cut domestic spending. It actually went up under him.

    The Free Market: The Sad Legacy of Ronald Reagan
    No. He temporarily increased defense spending by a lot as part of his cold war strategy, but he cut domestic spending more than any other president; in fact, he's the only one to do so in the last 45 years.




  3. #13
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    No. He temporarily increased
    So then he moved money around to suit his needs. That is still part of the budget whether your write it in the invisible ink of defence spending or not. If instead of paying 600$ for your rent you spend $530 and then use $90 dollars to pay for cable, you're not actually spending less.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #14
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So then he moved money around to suit his needs. That is still part of the budget whether your write it in the invisible ink of defence spending or not. If instead of paying 600$ for your rent you spend $530 and then use $90 dollars to pay for cable, you're not actually spending less.
    You said he didn't cut domestic spending though. I was just correcting you.

  5. #15
    Educator Winnb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    02-22-10 @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    822

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    There has never been a fiscal/small government conservative or Democrat in my lifetime. There have been many "selective" fiscal conservatives and Reagan is a perfect example.

    Reagan did exactly what every President tries to do; cut spending on the programs he doesn't like, while increasing spending on the ones he does. Reagan also had to deal with a Democratic congress. So all spending (and cuts) have to go through them. Poor ol Reagan shouldn't get all of the blame or the credit for anything.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none.

    -------------------------------------------------

  6. #16
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    You said he didn't cut domestic spending though. I was just correcting you.
    So then you don't consider national defence to be domestic spending.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #17
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So then you don't consider national defence to be domestic spending.
    By most definitions, it isn't. If it makes you feel better, though, just replace "domestic" with "non-defense".

  8. #18
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,024

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    By most definitions, it isn't. If it makes you feel better, though, just replace "domestic" with "non-defense".
    So then it's just a feel good name for spending you don't want to consider when making the final budget? For example. Say your monthly rent and phone bill are together $900. However this month you only pay $820 because you have to pay a $190 parking ticket. Can you say you've lowered your "domestic spending" and thus have become fiscally conservative?
    Last edited by Hatuey; 02-14-10 at 02:28 PM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #19
    User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    TN
    Last Seen
    12-19-10 @ 09:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    38

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    His policies where great short term ones. They only worked if you never even planned on there being a future though. You can only spend so much with out replacing the money you are spending for so long. Once the money runs out and no one will give you a lone you have a big problem on your hands.
    Last edited by Io0011; 02-14-10 at 02:52 PM.

  10. #20
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:58 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,299
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    So then it's just a feel good name for spending you don't want to consider when making the final budget? For example. Say your monthly rent and phone bill are together $900. However this month you only pay $820 because you have to pay a $190 parking ticket. Can you say you've lowered your "domestic spending" and thus have become fiscally conservative?
    Dav and I have been round and round on this. My opinion is that saying that you cut spending, except for the spending you like, and overall increased spending, and massively increased the deficit, then you are not a fiscal conservative. This whole idea that you can count only the spending that supports your claim, while ignoring the rest is a copout to my mind.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •