View Poll Results: Was Reagan a fiscal-small government conservative?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Because...

    38 38.78%
  • No, Because...

    60 61.22%
Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 337

Thread: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

  1. #131
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Do I expect the president himself to be accountable for every $700 dollar hammer and every $1100 toilet seat, no, I don't.

    However, being that the pentagon is accountable to the president, ultimately the president's administration is accountable for waste and fraud in defense spending.
    Of course. I'm not trying to excuse such things, but if "Star Wars" is the only thing you can cite then I would say Reagan did comparatively well in that regard.

    All entitlements of any size. Welfare is tiny compared to Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid.
    Wait, so every single entitlement program was paid for by the revenue from the payroll tax? What about social programs? Do you have some figures I could look at?

    That would be the version called "reality"

    That would be the popular conservative mythology version.
    Okay, I'm certainly willing to listen to your version of Star Wars. Explain why it was manifestly idiotic.

    So anytime a president pisses away the taxpayers money on the most absurd notion imaginable it's automatically excused by the no one can predict the future excuse?
    Like I said, I don't know enough about the program to say one way or the other. The only reason I'm hesitant to accept your version of Star Wars is because it's a classic liberal talking point.

    I don't get it. Conservatives have a great example of a fiscally conservative president that was popular and pragmatic and that is Dwight Eisenhower, so why the Reagan worship?
    I'm not worshiping Reagan. I'm just trying to give his Presidency an honest and non-partisan appraisal.
    Last edited by Ethereal; 02-23-10 at 06:30 PM.

  2. #132
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Actually what he embraced was the empowerment of the American people. By doing so his economy created almost 20 million jobs and those taxpayers helped grow govt. tax revenue.

    Current tax receipts

    1981 663.5
    1982 659.5
    1983 694.1
    1984 762.5
    1985 823.9
    1986 868.8
    1987 965.7
    1988 1,018.9
    Let's timeline that one.

    Economic Recovery Act of 1981 - Large Tax cut.
    1981 663.5
    Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982 - Large Tax increase.
    Highway Revenue Act of 1982 - Tax increase.
    1982 659.5
    Social Security Amendments of 1983 - Tax increase.
    Interest and Dividend Tax Compliance Act of 1983 - Small Tax cut.
    1983 694.1
    Deficit Reduction Act of 1984 - Large Tax Increase.
    1984 762.5
    Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 - Small Tax increase.
    1985 823.9
    Tax Reform Act of 1986 - Large Tax Increase.
    1986 868.8
    Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1987 - Tax Increase.
    1987 965.7
    1988 1,018.9

    So basically, we have a tax cut, followed by a series of tax increases. The decline in revenue correlates with the tax cut, the increases in revenue correlate with the tax increases and population (workforce) growth.

    Imagine that.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  3. #133
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Let's timeline that one.

    Economic Recovery Act of 1981 - Large Tax cut.
    1981 663.5
    Tax Equity and Fiscal Responsibility Act of 1982 - Large Tax increase.
    Highway Revenue Act of 1982 - Tax increase.
    1982 659.5
    Social Security Amendments of 1983 - Tax increase.
    Interest and Dividend Tax Compliance Act of 1983 - Small Tax cut.
    1983 694.1
    Deficit Reduction Act of 1984 - Large Tax Increase.
    1984 762.5
    Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 - Small Tax increase.
    1985 823.9
    Tax Reform Act of 1986 - Large Tax Increase.
    1986 868.8
    Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1987 - Tax Increase.
    1987 965.7
    1988 1,018.9

    So basically, we have a tax cut, followed by a series of tax increases. The decline in revenue correlates with the tax cut, the increases in revenue correlate with the tax increases and population (workforce) growth.

    Imagine that.
    Fact is the Reagan tax cuts didn't go into effect until October 1981, nice try

    FICA tax increases had nothing to do with the tax revenue increase I posted, FICA is SS Revenue not Income tax revenue

    There was no income tax increase only payroll tax increases which affected SS and Medicare.
    Last edited by Conservative; 02-23-10 at 06:31 PM.

  4. #134
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,206

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    What he embraced was astrology and other mumbo-jumbo such as trickle-down "supply side" economics.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  5. #135
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Skipper View Post
    What he embraced was astrology and other mumbo-jumbo such as trickle-down "supply side" economics.
    Wow, another kid heard from, suggest you get the actual facts instead of what your leftwing professors tell you.

  6. #136
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,046

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Hindsight is 20/20.
    Did you read my post? Even in the early 1980s it was well known by anybody who was anybody in Washington that the Soviet Union was collapsing due to shortages, lack of funding, weak military etc etc. Why did Reagan then see it as essential to increase the funding the military? Was he ignorant of the facts? Doubt it.

    You have that luxury. I doubt many Americans would have shared your sentiment at the time...
    Good thing Reagan wasn't a completely ignorant America of the 1980s. Or are you saying the President of the U.S. knew as much about Russia as the average American? Doubt that.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #137
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Of course. I'm not trying to excuse such things, but if "Star Wars" is the only thing you can cite then I would say Reagan did comparatively well in that regard.
    He tripled the national debt while in office, thats not exactly "comparatively well".


    Wait, so every single entitlement program was paid for by the revenue from the payroll tax? What about social programs? Do you have some figures I could look at?
    Here are the historical numbers http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget...9/pdf/hist.pdf


    Okay, I'm certainly willing to listen to your version of Star Wars. Explain why it was manifestly idiotic.
    Do you really need an explanation of why spending billions in an attempt to build 1980s laser armed space robots is idiotic?
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  8. #138
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,410

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Fact is the Reagan tax cuts didn't go into effect until October 1981, nice try

    FICA tax increases had nothing to do with the tax revenue increase I posted, FICA is SS Revenue not Income tax revenue

    There was no income tax increase only payroll tax increases which affected SS and Medicare.
    You are telling me that the Tax Reform Act of 1984 was not an income tax increase?

    Tax Reform Act of 1984: Definition from Answers.com

    The 1986 huge expansion of the AMT was not an income tax increase?
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  9. #139
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    He tripled the national debt while in office, thats not exactly "comparatively well".




    Here are the historical numbers http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/budget...9/pdf/hist.pdf




    Do you really need an explanation of why spending billions in an attempt to build 1980s laser armed space robots is idiotic?
    Did you even look at the numbers you posted? Defense spending in 1981 was 157 billion and in 1989 it was 303.6 billion so he doubled defense spending but also generated 1.5 trillion in revenue, more than enough to cover the defense increase

  10. #140
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    You are telling me that the Tax Reform Act of 1984 was not an income tax increase?

    Tax Reform Act of 1984: Definition from Answers.com

    The 1986 huge expansion of the AMT was not an income tax increase?
    That is what I am telling you, it was NOT an income tax increase on the lower income workers. That is where the jobs were created and where the revenue grew.

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •