View Poll Results: Was Reagan a fiscal-small government conservative?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Because...

    38 38.78%
  • No, Because...

    60 61.22%
Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 337

Thread: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Does a fiscal conservative pay for their spending? Or do they simply pass the buck to another generation and force them to make decisions based on the actions of a previous generation?
    Let me get this straight...

    Reagan tries to cut domestic spending but the Congress refuses. Still, Reagan increases military spending because it is necessary to national security, therefore, the deficit is Reagan's fault -

    Sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense. If Reagan had his way, the deficits would have been much smaller or even non-existent.

  2. #102
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    Does a fiscal conservative pay for their spending? Or do they simply pass the buck to another generation and force them to make decisions based on the actions of a previous generation?

    I do not believe we had a weak military prior to Reagan. Of course this is just my opinion you have to be careful, as people are touchy about it
    Do you deny that Reagan tax cuts doubled Govt. revenue to the treasury? Military spending was indeed paid for and the buck passed to another generation was due to Congressional social spending that were attached to the Reagan defense bills.

    If you don't think our military was weak then you ignored the Carter years and the failed rescue of our hostages taken in Iran. It was equipment failure do to an Administration that paid little attention to the military.

  3. #103
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Let me get this straight...

    Reagan tries to cut domestic spending but the Congress refuses. Still, Reagan increases military spending because it is necessary to national security, therefore, the deficit is Reagan's fault -
    I can understand the need to decrease taxation when the economy is experiencing inflation, and the need to increase spending (in this case military Keynesianism) when unemployment is high. He allowed for deficits to remain even during economic recovery.

    Whether or not his military spending boost was a matter of national security is another discussion.

    Sorry, but this makes absolutely no sense. If Reagan had his way, the deficits would have been much smaller or even non-existent.
    Prior to Reagans presidency, transfer payments made up about 41% of the total tax revenue (1978). In 1988, transfer payments made up about 44% of tax revenues. The fact remains that he did not have his way, and abandoned fiscal responsibility in the process.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  4. #104
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,151

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    What part of eliminating all the line items of the budget other than Defense, the VA, and interest on the Debt do you not understand?
    let's then look at what you would do away with because you don't believe they deserve funding:

    ■Executive Office of the President
    ■The President's Cabinet
    ■Department of Agriculture (USDA)
    ■Department of Commerce (DOC)
    ■Department of Education (ED)
    ■Department of Energy (DOE)
    ■Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
    ■Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
    ■Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
    ■Department of Justice (DOJ)
    ■Department of Labor (DOL)
    ■Department of State (DOS)
    ■Department of the Interior (DOI)
    ■Department of the Treasury
    ■Department of Transportation (DOT)
    ■Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
    ■Export-Import Bank of the United States
    ■Farm Credit Administration
    ■Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
    ■Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
    ■Federal Election Commission (FEC)
    ■Federal Housing Finance Board
    ■Federal Labor Relations Authority
    ■Federal Maritime Commission
    ■Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service
    ■Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission
    ■Federal Reserve System
    ■Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board
    ■Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
    ■General Services Administration (GSA)
    ■Merit Systems Protection Board
    ■National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
    ■National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
    ■National Capital Planning Commission
    ■National Council on Disability
    ■National Credit Union Administration (NCUA)
    ■National Labor Relations Board (NLRB)
    ■National Mediation Board
    ■National Railroad Passenger Corporation (AMTRAK)
    ■National Science Foundation (NSF)
    ■National Transportation Safety Board
    ■Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)
    ■Office of Government Ethics
    ■Office of Personnel Management
    ■Office of Special Counsel
    ■Office of the National Counterintelligence Executive
    ■Overseas Private Investment Corporation
    ■Peace Corps
    ■Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation
    ■Postal Regulatory Commission
    ■Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
    ■Selective Service System
    ■Small Business Administration (SBA)
    ■Social Security Administration (SSA)
    ■Tennessee Valley Authority
    ■U.S. Trade and Development Agency
    ■United States Agency for International Development
    ■United States International Trade Commission
    ■United States Postal Service (USPS)

    so, you think life would be ok if we just did away with all of that


    don't think so
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  5. #105
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Do you deny that Reagan tax cuts doubled Govt. revenue to the treasury? Military spending was indeed paid for and the buck passed to another generation was due to Congressional social spending that were attached to the Reagan defense bills.
    Tax cuts broke stagflation..... To claim they "doubled" revenue is dishonest.

    If you don't think our military was weak then you ignored the Carter years and the failed rescue of our hostages taken in Iran. It was equipment failure do to an Administration that paid little attention to the military.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  6. #106
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    let's then look at what you would do away with because you don't believe they deserve funding:

    ■Executive Office of the President
    ■The President's Cabinet
    ■Department of Agriculture (USDA)
    ■Department of Commerce (DOC)
    ■Department of Education (ED)
    ■Department of Energy (DOE)
    ■Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
    ■Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
    ■Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
    ■Department of Justice (DOJ)
    ■Department of Labor (DOL)
    ■Department of State (DOS)
    ■Department of the Interior (DOI)
    ■Department of the Treasury
    ■Department of Transportation (DOT)
    ■Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
    ■Export-Import Bank of the United States
    ■Farm Credit Administration
    ■Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
    ■Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC)
    ■Federal Election Commission (FEC)
    ■Federal Housing Finance Board
    ■Federal Labor Relations Authority
    ■Federal Maritime Commission
    ■Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service
    ■Federal Mine Safety and Health Review Commission
    ■Federal Reserve System
    ■Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board
    ■Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
    ■General Services Administration (GSA)
    ■Merit Systems Protection Board
    ■National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
    ■National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
    ■National Capital Planning Commission
    ■National Council on Disability
    ■National Credit Union Administration (NCUA)
    ■National Labor Relations Board (NLRB)
    ■National Mediation Board
    ■National Railroad Passenger Corporation (AMTRAK)
    ■National Science Foundation (NSF)
    ■National Transportation Safety Board
    ■Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)
    ■Office of Government Ethics
    ■Office of Personnel Management
    ■Office of Special Counsel
    ■Office of the National Counterintelligence Executive
    ■Overseas Private Investment Corporation
    ■Peace Corps
    ■Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation
    ■Postal Regulatory Commission
    ■Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
    ■Selective Service System
    ■Small Business Administration (SBA)
    ■Social Security Administration (SSA)
    ■Tennessee Valley Authority
    ■U.S. Trade and Development Agency
    ■United States Agency for International Development
    ■United States International Trade Commission
    ■United States Postal Service (USPS)

    so, you think life would be ok if we just did away with all of that


    don't think so
    Yep, most of those are duplicated by the States, we need a vastly reduced size of the Federal Govt. but those aren't the line items in the Treasury Website. Our Founders got it right and we are so far from their intent because people like you buy the rhetoric that we need all this crap.
    Last edited by Conservative; 02-23-10 at 04:58 PM.

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy219 View Post
    I can understand the need to decrease taxation when the economy is experiencing inflation, and the need to increase spending (in this case military Keynesianism) when unemployment is high. He allowed for deficits to remain even during economic recovery.
    So, you blame Reagan for Congress's insistence upon sustained domestic spending? That's utterly nonsensical.

    Whether or not his military spending boost was a matter of national security is another discussion.
    No, it's not. His military advisors said it was necessary and Reagan listened to them; we won the Cold War. You don't get to ignore those facts because it suites your argument.

    Prior to Reagans presidency, transfer payments made up about 41% of the total tax revenue (1978). In 1988, transfer payments made up about 44% of tax revenues. The fact remains that he did not have his way, and abandoned fiscal responsibility in the process.
    Such BS. Reagan spent what was necessary to national security whereas Congress spent what was necessary to remain in power. The idea that Reagan should have decreased military spending to accommodate the Congress's love of pork is totally absurd.

  8. #108
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,151

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Yep, most of those are duplicated by the States, we need a vastly reduced size of the Federal Govt. but those aren't the line items in the Treasury Website. Our Founders got it right and we are so far from their intent because people like you buy the rhetoric that we need all this crap.
    i notice many of the third world nations are without 'all this crap' and then also recognize that the other industrialized nations do tend to have this governmental apparatus which is intended to aid society

    maybe you need to relocate to a third world country where those crappy programs will not be found
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #109
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Moderator's Warning:
    Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?Alright, tolerated this enough because it SEEMED like a point was going to be made but primarily its just serving to attempt to derail the thread. Take the "tell me what YOU would take out of the budget" talk to another thread. That's not the subject of this thread and its barely being used to tie itself in any way to the topic here, instead just becoming a pissing match. The line of conversation needs to end or move to another thread

  10. #110
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,261

    Re: Was Reagan a fiscal/small government conservative?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    So, you blame Reagan for Congress's insistence upon sustained domestic spending? That's utterly nonsensical.
    I blame him for not dealing with reality in a fiscally conservative manner. Whether or not he "got his way" has nothing to do with it.

    No, it's not. His military advisors said it was necessary and Reagan listened to them; we won the Cold War. You don't get to ignore those facts because it suites your argument.
    We lose the cold war without increased military spending? (not that i was against it)

    Such BS. Reagan spent what was necessary to national security whereas Congress spent what was necessary to remain in power. The idea that Reagan should have decreased military spending to accommodate the Congress's love of pork is totally absurd.
    He did have another option that would have been "fiscally conservative". Increase government revenue.
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •