View Poll Results: Is it ok to show the video of his accident?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it's perfectly ok

    21 40.38%
  • No, it's disrespectful and exploitive

    29 55.77%
  • other

    2 3.85%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 71

Thread: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    The thread wasn't meant to imply that any one news outlet does this. It has a broader scope than that. Generally, I think that the media has lowered its standards over the years.

  2. #62
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    So they have a right to show him die? No, they do not, and I'm sure the family of the athlete would prefer that the video not be shown on news.
    In the U.S. they do have a right to show it because it happened in a public venue, it was a factual event, and it doesn't violate FCC obscenity law. However that doesn't make it any less heinous to replay the event, it was bad enough that the luger lost his life in the accident, no need to show it and further the imagery for those that cared about him.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #63
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    The thread wasn't meant to imply that any one news outlet does this. It has a broader scope than that. Generally, I think that the media has lowered its standards over the years.
    The press isn't what it used to be, that is a given. Most of the best broadcasters are either retired or dead unfortunately. Many people mentioned the sensationalism aspect earlier, and unfortunately most news outlets are so biased that the shock card is the only way they can get a blip on ratings books now. It's a damn shame from two perspectives, 1) They are failing us so badly that news consumership is decreasing to dangerous levels and 2) Inhumane events like televising this unfortunate death will be the norm, not a fluke of bad judgement.

    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    The press isn't what it used to be, that is a given. Most of the best broadcasters are either retired or dead unfortunately. Many people mentioned the sensationalism aspect earlier, and unfortunately most news outlets are so biased that the shock card is the only way they can get a blip on ratings books now. It's a damn shame from two perspectives, 1) They are failing us so badly that news consumership is decreasing to dangerous levels and 2) Inhumane events like televising this unfortunate death will be the norm, not a fluke of bad judgement.

    One station that does have a lot of class is NPR. They have excellent in depth coverage that I really enjoy.

  5. #65
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    One station that does have a lot of class is NPR. They have excellent in depth coverage that I really enjoy.
    Though quite a few of their correspondents have some of the dullest voices known to man
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Though quite a few of their correspondents have some of the dullest voices known to man
    I was wondering if they have a rule to speak very slooooowly in order to be understood by foreigners. Our local public radio announcers speak as if English is the second language to all listeners.

  7. #67
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    One station that does have a lot of class is NPR. They have excellent in depth coverage that I really enjoy.
    While I disagree with their overall politics, they do have a very good presentation, on that I agree.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #68
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Though quite a few of their correspondents have some of the dullest voices known to man
    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    I was wondering if they have a rule to speak very slooooowly in order to be understood by foreigners. Our local public radio announcers speak as if English is the second language to all listeners.
    Actually, most broadcasting schools teach to be concise with a midwestern accent, because it's blander than more regional one's it's readily identifyable to everyone, albeit it's pretty boring. Eh, what can you do?
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New Orleans
    Last Seen
    05-06-11 @ 07:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    3,082

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    They kept showing it over and over. I figured he was just badly injured or otherwise they wouldn't be showing it.

    Poor guy, they shouldn't show anybody being killed. Somebody said these olympians are absolute daredevils.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Whitewater, CO
    Last Seen
    04-05-16 @ 06:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    8,260
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    I can see allowing it for training future lugers and EMTs; however, I do not see any reason the press needs to be airing it.

    To do so is just plain morbid. It's also very bad for the family of the decedent. Shame on the press for their irresponsible behavior. Some of them are completely lacking in journalistic integrity.


Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •