View Poll Results: Is it ok to show the video of his accident?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it's perfectly ok

    21 40.38%
  • No, it's disrespectful and exploitive

    29 55.77%
  • other

    2 3.85%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 71

Thread: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

  1. #31
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    Quote Originally Posted by faminedynasty View Post
    If something happened there's no reason not to show it. Censorship of any kind is dumb.
    Heard of the first amendment? Yeah, it has limits.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  2. #32
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Sacramento California
    Last Seen
    08-06-11 @ 02:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    706

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    Quote Originally Posted by EgoffTib View Post
    So if my hypothetical seven year old wants to watch a snuff film, it's a good idea to let that happen?
    I don't mean to suggest that parents shouldn't supervise their children or regulate what they watch. I do mean to suggest that the parent/child relationship should not exist between the media and the viewing public.
    This crash happened. This young athlete was killed. I believe the clip has value in the following ways:
    1) It demonstrates the fragility of human life.
    2) It shows the risk that these athletes are taking.
    3) It is true and real. It happened.
    If you don't want to watch it that's fine. Turn away, change the channel, watch nickelodeon instead. But don't suggest that the possibility of viewing it should be denied to those of us who are comfortable with reality even in its ugliness. In my opinion too much violence and death is censored out of the news, and it impacts our democracy negatively. After all, it's easy, for example, to support a war when you never have to see the bodies of the children slaughtered in it or the reaction of their parents. Similarly, in a roundabout way, this little piece of reality has to be considered when making an assessment of the current olympic games, the safety of the track, etc.
    "We may have destroyed this country, but we got rich doing it!" --The GOP
    There is a special place in hell for those who care only about themselves.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    11-23-11 @ 10:06 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,827

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    Quote Originally Posted by faminedynasty View Post
    I don't mean to suggest that parents shouldn't supervise their children or regulate what they watch. I do mean to suggest that the parent/child relationship should not exist between the media and the viewing public.
    This crash happened. This young athlete was killed. I believe the clip has value in the following ways:
    1) It demonstrates the fragility of human life.
    2) It shows the risk that these athletes are taking.
    3) It is true and real. It happened.
    If you don't want to watch it that's fine. Turn away, change the channel, watch nickelodeon instead. But don't suggest that the possibility of viewing it should be denied to those of us who are comfortable with reality even in its ugliness. In my opinion too much violence and death is censored out of the news, and it impacts our democracy negatively. After all, it's easy, for example, to support a war when you never have to see the bodies of the children slaughtered in it or the reaction of their parents. Similarly, in a roundabout way, this little piece of reality has to be considered when making an assessment of the current olympic games, the safety of the track, etc.
    It's not a question of whether the viewer wants to watch this or not. This isn't a question of personal preference. I, personally, found the video morbidly interesting. But, I question whether it is respectful of the dead man's family, who in my eyes was really only a boy, and a mother and father's son.

  4. #34
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    Quote Originally Posted by MyOwnDrum View Post
    CBS has the video footage of the luge accident that killed Nodar Kumaritashvili from the nation of Georgia. Yes, I watched the video, it was on their website. It goes on to blandly discuss the mild weather after showing video footage of his death.

    Is this ok to show the video? They also have closeups of him right before the accident. Yes, it is morbidly riveting, I admit.

    Olympic Athlete Dies in Training - CBS News Video
    awful, just awful. i didn't watch it, won't watch it.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  5. #35
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    I believe that it should be legal to show the video, but that showing it is disturbing and lacks all class and decency on the part of the broadcaster.

    The news aspect of the story is that the man tragically died. The sick and depraved entertainment aspect is showing the video.

    Should they be allowed to show it? Sure. Freedom's a bitch.

    Should they actually go ahead and show it? Not if they have any decency (which they clearly do not)
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  6. #36
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I believe that it should be legal to show the video, but that showing it is disturbing and lacks all class and decency on the part of the broadcaster.

    The news aspect of the story is that the man tragically died. The sick and depraved entertainment aspect is showing the video.

    Should they be allowed to show it? Sure. Freedom's a bitch.

    Should they actually go ahead and show it? Not if they have any decency (which they clearly do not)
    yes, of course it should be legal. that said, cbs sucks.

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  7. #37
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    yes, of course it should be legal. that said, cbs sucks.
    All of them showed it. Repeatedly. They all suck.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  8. #38
    Voluntary Resignation

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    11-30-10 @ 05:20 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    7,059

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    yes, of course it should be legal. that said, cbs sucks.
    That's a given. I can't believe anyone watches them for news anymore. I bet they were motivated to show the video for ratings even more than the rest of the networks.

  9. #39
    pirate lover
    liblady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    St Thomas, VI
    Last Seen
    03-14-16 @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    16,165
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    All of them showed it. Repeatedly. They all suck.
    ah...i had no idea. i don't watch too much tv.....

    Originally Posted by johnny_rebson:

    These are the same liberals who forgot how Iraq attacked us on 9/11.


  10. #40
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: What do you think of the media showing video of Olympic luger's death

    Quote Originally Posted by liblady View Post
    ah...i had no idea. i don't watch too much tv.....
    Very sensible liblady. I don't think this a question of legality, however although several countries do enforce legislation protecting an individual's privacy. Privacy at the moment of death (even when you have consented to being televised doing something dangerous) I would suggest would be covered by such legislation. I have no idea whether such laws exist in the US, but they do elsewhere.

    I think it's more a question of personal and professional ethics; those of the channel heads that have to weigh-up whether or not to broadcast. I don't know how it was handled in the US, but I became very upset at (still do, actually) at repeated showings, for no possible journalistic reason, of the planes crashing into the WTC. There is a BIG difference in showing something that has just happened for the information of viewers and showing something dramatic or traumatic for entertainment purposes. Even then, showing something for informative reasons must be tempered with a consideration of just how much the public has a right to see. I do not agree with the libertarian position that because something has happened everyone has the right to see it. There are other rights in play (the right to respect, privacy, etc) that should also be taken into account and, in this case, I believe such rights were ignored.

    Shame on those broadcasters who showed it. Let's name and shame them.
    I accuse Antena 3, Telecinco, La Sexta and RTVA in Spain of infringing this poor guy and his family's right to privacy and dignity. Anyone else care to extend the list?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •