View Poll Results: Are Politics and Religion becoming one and the same?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, entirely.

    4 12.12%
  • Yes, partially.

    15 45.45%
  • No, partially.

    3 9.09%
  • No, entirely

    7 21.21%
  • Other (please explain).

    4 12.12%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 59

Thread: Are Politics and Religion becoming one and the same?

  1. #11
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Are Politics and Religion becoming one and the same?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    The trend is that Christians tend to be more consevative, but there are exceptions. One of the reasons I am liberal is because Jesus helped people who actually needed it, not the rich.
    There's actually a branch of socialism called "Christian socialism" that's based on that idea.

  2. #12
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: Are Politics and Religion becoming one and the same?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I feel I phrased this badly. He helps everyone, not just the rich. We should follow this example.
    no I think a lot of the bible has a lot of very strongly presented pro-proletarian attitudes. Christians should be Communists. But they tend to focus on the 5% of the bible regarding genital conduct rather then the 95% regarding helping people.
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  3. #13
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Are Politics and Religion becoming one and the same?

    Yes, a large majority of people allow their religious beliefs to influence or define their political views. This is nothing new though.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  4. #14
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Are Politics and Religion becoming one and the same?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Methinks you may have misunderstood my question, given the context I gave it in the OP.

    Or you were just presenting your opinion on the positive/negative effects of "secularism". Which would be off topic.
    Maybe so.k
    Are political positions and the support they have (in some cases) becoming more belief based than reason based?
    I took this to mean that policy and politics are either being more influenced by religion or less, and I say less and exposed the positive/negative effects of secularism. I am all for secularism, but I am not for the silencing of religion simply on "secular" principals. If the voters have religious faith and they democratically vote regarding their faith based positions, there should be no reason to not accept policy regarding such beliefs.

  5. #15
    Sage
    samsmart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,316
    Blog Entries
    37

    Re: Are Politics and Religion becoming one and the same?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    PC has become increasingly anti-Christian and pro-everythingelse.
    That's not true. I am just as much against Muslims and Jews and Hindus and Scientologists and every other religion infringing on my rights as I am against Christians doing so.

  6. #16
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are Politics and Religion becoming one and the same?

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    no I think a lot of the bible has a lot of very strongly presented pro-proletarian attitudes. Christians should be Communists. But they tend to focus on the 5% of the bible regarding genital conduct rather then the 95% regarding helping people.
    I believe, christianity, if properly done would be either socialist or communist, the existance of a government would not really be important. But until human nature changes, its about as likely as any other pie in the sky fantasy like (already mentioned) communism or libertarianism. Any pure philosophy will fail if mere humans try to implement it.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 02-11-10 at 08:40 PM.

  7. #17
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Are Politics and Religion becoming one and the same?

    Quote Originally Posted by samsmart View Post
    That's not true. I am just as much against Muslims and Jews and Hindus and Scientologists and every other religion infringing on my rights as I am against Christians doing so.
    That may be your opinion, but I am talking about PC in general. It is acceptable to criticize and demean Christians, but minority religions receive special protection because it isn't politically correct to bash them.

  8. #18
    Upper West Side Jacobin
    new coup for you's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Philly, "The City that shoves you back!"
    Last Seen
    07-01-10 @ 01:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,643

    Re: Are Politics and Religion becoming one and the same?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    I believe, christianity, if properly done would be either socialist or communist, the existance of a government would not really be important. But until human nature changes, its about as likely as any other pie in the sky fantasy like (already mentioned) communism or libertarianism.
    the original Christian communities were basically hippie communes or kibitzes.
    And why does your tone suggest that you do not care about children?

  9. #19
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Are Politics and Religion becoming one and the same?

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    the original Christian communities were basically hippie communes or kibitzes.
    Not really, true original Christian communities could be described as socialist in nature. Jesus did say to care for the poor and give to the needy and I believe in these ideals. However, is it up to the government to force us or for us as individuals to make that choice? Original Christian communities could be described as "hippie" because they had a new message, but they weren't "hippie" in mentality and were heavily persecuted when they first started emerging.

  10. #20
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Are Politics and Religion becoming one and the same?

    Quote Originally Posted by new coup for you View Post
    the original Christian communities were basically hippie communes or kibitzes.
    I wouldn't go with the word hippy. That is a much different philosophy. However they were communes, that is well documented in the new testament. Probably the only modern institution that we could compare it to would be a convent or monastery.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •