View Poll Results: Is Global Warming a myth?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, explain

    52 34.44%
  • No, Explain

    99 65.56%
Page 86 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 860 of 1020

Thread: Is Global Warming a myth?

  1. #851
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I've read about it. What's your point? Dr. Jones does not make "science not credible!" None of the world's scientific societies have changed their positions because of Dr. Jones. He is only a sensation in the right wing blogger world.
    You did not read my link. Other scientist are coming against him. Post 824

  2. #852
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    You did not read my link. Other scientist are coming against him. Post 824
    Other scientists are questioning him. That is part of the scientific process. The important point is that none of the major scientific societies have offered dissenting opinions in light of their findings in the hacked emails and questioning of Dr. Jones.

    In short, mainstream science is still in concurrence on man's role in climate change, including the Institute of Physics that you referenced.

    "In a statement issued today the institute said its written submission to the committee "has been interpreted by some individuals to imply that it does not support the scientific evidence that the rising concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is contributing to global warming."

    It says: "That is not the case. The institute's position on climate change is clear: the basic science is well enough understood to be sure that our climate is changing, and that we need to take action now to mitigate that change."


    The institute said its critical comments were focused on the scientific process, and "should not be interpreted to mean that the institute believes that the science itself is flawed."


    Institute of Physics forced to clarify submission to climate emails inquiry | Environment | guardian.co.uk
    Last edited by Catawba; 03-03-10 at 03:19 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #853
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Other scientists are questioning him. That is part of the scientific process. The important point is that none of the major scientific societies have offered dissenting opinions in light of their findings in the hacked emails and questioning of Dr. Jones.

    In short, mainstream science is still in concurrence on man's role in climate change, including the Institute of Physics that you referenced.

    "In a statement issued today the institute said its written submission to the committee "has been interpreted by some individuals to imply that it does not support the scientific evidence that the rising concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is contributing to global warming."

    It says: "That is not the case. The institute's position on climate change is clear: the basic science is well enough understood to be sure that our climate is changing, and that we need to take action now to mitigate that change."


    The institute said its critical comments were focused on the scientific process, and "should not be interpreted to mean that the institute believes that the science itself is flawed."


    Institute of Physics forced to clarify submission to climate emails inquiry | Environment | guardian.co.uk
    From my post that you don't want to address.

    Scientists at the heart of the Climategate row were yesterday accused by a leading academic body of undermining science's credibility.

    The Institute of Physics said 'worrying implications' had been raised after it was revealed the University of East Anglia had manipulated data on global warming.

    The rebuke - the strongest yet from the scientific community - came as Professor Phil Jones, the researcher at the heart of the scandal, told MPs he had written 'some pretty awful emails' - but denied trying to suppress data.
    Professor Phil Jones

  4. #854
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    From my post that you don't want to address.

    Scientists at the heart of the Climategate row were yesterday accused by a leading academic body of undermining science's credibility.

    The Institute of Physics said 'worrying implications' had been raised after it was revealed the University of East Anglia had manipulated data on global warming.

    The rebuke - the strongest yet from the scientific community - came as Professor Phil Jones, the researcher at the heart of the scandal, told MPs he had written 'some pretty awful emails' - but denied trying to suppress data.
    Professor Phil Jones
    I addressed your post with a refutation by the very Institute of Physics you misinterpreted. They issued this specifically because of misinterpretations like yours when they said:

    "In a statement issued today the institute said its written submission to the committee "has been interpreted by some individuals to imply that it does not support the scientific evidence that the rising concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is contributing to global warming."

    It says: "That is not the case. The institute's position on climate change is clear: the basic science is well enough understood to be sure that our climate is changing, and that we need to take action now to mitigate that change."

    The institute said its critical comments were focused on the scientific process, and "should not be interpreted to mean that the institute believes that the science itself is flawed."


    I don't know how they could make it much clearer that your interpretation doesn't hold water.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  5. #855
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    My point is that AGW is bunk. Hookum. A snow-job. heh heh a snow-job.
    Based off of what? You attempted to hide behind data, which can be interpreted any thousand different ways.

    I've presented logic, and a logic train which leads to the irrefutable conclusion that there is ACC, the only question is the rate at which it is occurring, and where along the train we are.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  6. #856
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Based off of what? You attempted to hide behind data, which can be interpreted any thousand different ways.

    I've presented logic, and a logic train which leads to the irrefutable conclusion that there is ACC, the only question is the rate at which it is occurring, and where along the train we are.
    No duh it's about the rate!!! That's what we've been saying over and over and over again. Nobody can accurately quantify the significance of the process you continually describe. For all we know, human CO2 emissions have only accounted for 0.000000000000000001% of the observed warming. There's absolutely nothing to suggest it's had a statistically significant impact on global temperatures.

    Quantify.

    Effect.

    Significance.

    Negligible.

    These are science words and they actually mean something.

  7. #857
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    No duh it's about the rate!!! That's what we've been saying over and over and over again. Nobody can accurately quantify the significance of the process you continually describe.
    Accurate enough for the world's joint science academies ~

    Joint science academies’ statement:
    Global response to climate change



    "Climate change is real
    There will always be uncertainty in understanding a system
    as complex as the world’s climate. However there is now
    strong evidence that significant global warming is
    occurring1. The evidence comes from direct measurements
    of rising surface air temperatures and subsurface ocean
    temperatures and from phenomena such as increases in
    average global sea levels, retreating glaciers, and changes
    to many physical and biological systems. It is likely that
    most of the warming in recent decades can be attributed
    to human activities (IPCC 2001)2. This warming has already
    led to changes in the Earth's climate.
    The existence of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere is
    vital to life on Earth – in their absence average
    temperatures would be about 30 centigrade degrees lower
    than they are today. But human activities are now causing
    atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases –
    including carbon dioxide, methane, tropospheric ozone,
    and nitrous oxide – to rise well above pre-industrial levels.
    Carbon dioxide levels have increased from 280 ppm in
    1750 to over 375 ppm today – higher than any previous
    levels that can be reliably measured (i.e. in the last 420,000
    years). Increasing greenhouse gases are causing
    temperatures to rise; the Earth’s surface warmed by
    approximately 0.6 centigrade degrees over the twentieth
    century. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
    (IPCC) projected that the average global surface
    temperatures will continue to increase to between 1.4
    centigrade degrees and 5.8 centigrade degrees above 1990
    levels, by 2100.

    Reduce the causes of climate change

    The scientific understanding of climate change is now
    sufficiently clear to justify nations taking prompt action. It
    is vital that all nations identify cost-effective steps that they
    can take now, to contribute to substantial and long-term
    reduction in net global greenhouse gas emissions."
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #858
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    No duh it's about the rate!!! That's what we've been saying over and over and over again. Nobody can accurately quantify the significance of the process you continually describe. For all we know, human CO2 emissions have only accounted for 0.000000000000000001% of the observed warming. There's absolutely nothing to suggest it's had a statistically significant impact on global temperatures.

    Quantify.

    Effect.

    Significance.

    Negligible.

    These are science words and they actually mean something.
    You're ignoring something though. Its nice and obvious, right in front of your face, and you look pretty stupid when you miss it. Want me to tell you what it is, or do you think you can figure it out for yourself?
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  9. #859
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    I addressed your post with a refutation by the very Institute of Physics you misinterpreted. They issued this specifically because of misinterpretations like yours when they said:

    "In a statement issued today the institute said its written submission to the committee "has been interpreted by some individuals to imply that it does not support the scientific evidence that the rising concentration of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is contributing to global warming."

    It says: "That is not the case. The institute's position on climate change is clear: the basic science is well enough understood to be sure that our climate is changing, and that we need to take action now to mitigate that change."

    The institute said its critical comments were focused on the scientific process, and "should not be interpreted to mean that the institute believes that the science itself is flawed."


    I don't know how they could make it much clearer that your interpretation doesn't hold water.
    They admit the credibility is now less thanks to what scientist like Jones have done. Nice how you ignore their rebuke.

  10. #860
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    They admit the credibility is now less thanks to what scientist like Jones have done. Nice how you ignore their rebuke.
    Yes, they say their credibility is less (a political consideration), but then stressed that it, "should not be interpreted to mean that the institute believes that the science itself is flawed."

    See the distinction?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

Page 86 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •