Veni. Vidi. Vici.
-Gaius Julius Caesar
The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
-Franklin Delano Roosevelt
There are so many holes in the theory that I'm astounded anyone can still support it, let alone suggest the case is closed.
Some quick facts:
- 9 out of 10 temperature monitoring stations in the US are substandard.
- The "scientists" at Hadley were manipulating data as well as the peer review process.
- A recent analysis of sattelite temperature data actually shows a cooling period in the past twelve years.
- Errors have been identified in NASA calculations of temperatures (1998 was not the hottest year in the US, 1934 was).
- Michael Mann's famous hockey stick graph (as seen in Inconvenient Truth) was shown to be utter crap.
- And much more!
"He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK
There is a correlation between the warming trends and the record snowfall.
Snowpocalypse and the Climate Change Debate: Blogs, Scientists, Facts Defend "Global Warming" As Blizzard Rages - The Human Condition Blog - Newsweek.com
(We prefer the term "global weirding," as suggested by Thomas Friedman earlier this winter.)
Time magazine, meanwhile, notes that warming may be part of a longer-lasting trend:
But as far as winter storms go, shouldn't climate change make it too warm for snow to fall? Eventually that is likely to happen—but probably not for a while. In the meantime, warmer air could be supercharged with moisture and, as long as the temperature remains below 32°F, it will result in blizzards rather than drenching winter rainstorms. And while the mid-Atlantic has borne the brunt of the snowfall so far this winter, areas near lakes may get hit even worse. As global temperatures have risen, the winter ice cover over the Great Lakes has shrunk, which has led to even more moisture in the atmosphere and more snow in the already hard-hit Great Lakes region, according to a 2003 study in the Journal of Climate.
Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 02-12-10 at 09:04 AM.
And, even if global warming weren't occurring, there are dozens of reasons why we should wean off of our unhealthy reliance on foreign oil and fossil fuels...
1. Subsidizing & funding Islamist regimes/terrorists
2. Having to pay for expensive foreign wars to protect our access to oil.
3. Stretching our military too thin as a result
4. Adding to our global trade imbalance.
5. Worsening air quality.
6. Increasing lung and health conditions as a result of the above, leading to increased healthcare costs.
7. The necessity for drilling for oil off of fragile coastlines in areas that are economically reliant on tourism.
8. Drilling in the gulf is a risky proposition given the area's propensity for hurricanes.
9. Borrowing trillions has made us financially reliant upon the Chinese, which could have major economic implications down the road, not to mention political ones.
That's just a start...
Are people really so dense that they want to bury their heads in the sand and pretend that we can go on with our conspicuous consumption indefinitely with no ill effects?
Imagine where we would be economically if we hadn't borrowed trillions of dollars to pay for our recent wars...
Last edited by Catz Part Deux; 02-12-10 at 09:18 AM.