View Poll Results: Is Global Warming a myth?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, explain

    52 34.44%
  • No, Explain

    99 65.56%
Page 49 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 1020

Thread: Is Global Warming a myth?

  1. #481
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    That's assuming every other person who believes in climate change has exactly the same data. Needless to say, that is not stipulated.
    Not, its not. An appeal to popularty is a fallacy, period.

  2. #482
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    For all the deniers out there:

    1. "Global warming is unequivocal and primarily human-induced."

    "Global temperature has increased over the past 50 years. This observed increase is due primarily to human-induced emissions of heat-trapping gases. (p. 13)

    2. Climate changes are underway in the United States and are projected to grow.
    Climate-related changes are already observed in the United States and its coastal waters. These include increases in heavy downpours, rising temperature and sea level, rapidly retreating glaciers, thawing permafrost, lengthening growing seasons, lengthening ice-free seasons in the ocean and on lakes and rivers, earlier snowmelt, and alterations in river flows. These changes are projected to grow. (p. 27)



    3. Widespread climate-related impacts are occurring now and are expected to increase.
    Climate changes are already affecting water, energy, transportation, agriculture, ecosystems, and health. These impacts are different from region to region and will grow under projected climate change. (p. 41-106, 107-152)



    4. Climate change will stress water resources.
    Water is an issue in every region, but the nature of the potential impacts varies. Drought, related to reduced precipitation, increased evaporation, and increased water loss from plants, is an important issue in many regions, especially in the West. Floods and water quality problems are likely to be amplified by climate change in most regions. Declines in mountain snowpack are important in the West and Alaska where snowpack provides vital natural water storage. (p. 41, 129, 135, 139)



    5. Crop and livestock production will be increasingly challenged.
    Agriculture is considered one of the sectors most adaptable to changes in climate. However, increased heat, pests, water stress, diseases, and weather extremes will pose adaptation challenges for crop and livestock production. (p. 71)



    6. Coastal areas are at increasing risk from sea-level rise and storm surge.
    Sea-level rise and storm surge place many U.S. coastal areas at increasing risk of erosion and flooding, especially along the Atlantic and Gulf Coasts, Pacific Islands, and parts of Alaska. Energy and transportation infrastructure and other property in coastal areas are very likely to be adversely affected. (p. 111, 139, 145, 149)



    7. Threats to human health will increase.
    Health impacts of climate change are related to heat stress, waterborne diseases, poor air quality, extreme weather events, and diseases transmitted by insects and rodents. Robust public health infrastructure can reduce the potential for negative impacts. (p. 89)



    8. Climate change will interact with many social and environmental stresses.
    Climate change will combine with pollution, population growth, overuse of resources, urbanization, and other social, economic, and environmental stresses to create larger impacts than from any of these factors alone. (p. 99)



    9. Thresholds will be crossed, leading to large changes in climate and ecosystems.
    There are a variety of thresholds in the climate system and ecosystems. These thresholds determine, for example, the presence of sea ice and permafrost, and the survival of species, from fish to insect pests, with implications for society. With further climate change, the crossing of additional thresholds is expected. (p. 76, 82, 115, 137, 142)



    10. Future climate change and its impacts depend on choices made today.

    The amount and rate of future climate change depend primarily on current and future human-caused emissions of heat-trapping gases and airborne particles. Responses involve reducing emissions to limit future warming, and adapting to the changes that are unavoidable. (p. 25, 29)"
    Key Findings

    For further data regarding 2009, see:

    State of the Climate Global Analysis 2009
    Last edited by Catawba; 02-17-10 at 05:54 PM.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #483
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    For all the deniers out there:

    1. "Global warming is unequivocal and primarily human-induced."

    Well, I guess that ends the argument. Someone used the "Unequivocal Bomb".


  4. #484
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    How does it do this? Who says it does this? How do they know this? What proof do they have of this?
    I personally don’t fully understand how this works (or perhaps at all).
    I personally do not understand the exact science behind how greenhouse gases are able to trap energy within the atmosphere, but I understand the overall effect is more and more energy being trapped inside the biosphere, as more greenhouse gases are released. The following link details how it works, but I'm frankly not interested in it, this is just in case you are wondering.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    The ozone layer protects us from UV rays. Decreases in the layer in some areas would, indeed, seem to then cause increased amounts of UV rays. It would seem also to logically follow that an increase in UV rays, as they are a form of energy, would cause some increase in heat levels of the earth, at least to a small extent.
    But ozone is also a greenhouse gas. It would then seem to follow that depletion would result in lower temperatures.
    Ozone depletion is different then CO2 depletion, or depletion of water vapor. Ozone is primarily in the stratosphere, where the air is thinner. At that height, it blocks more then it could trap, because most energy trapped within the atmosphere is trapped within the first few thousand feet (link). Above that, energy is bounced away. Below that level, is where all the greenhouse gases are, which trap the heat, therefore increasing temperature.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    On an odd side note, all the Wiki articles I read on this bit seem to at some point link to IPCC reports or some such. IF, and I stress IF, there is some doubt as to the validity of the IPCC reports, then… Ah well.
    Then don't use information from the IPCC

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I would prefer “most effective”. “Dangerous” implies danger, bad, ect. And the greenhouse effect of greenhouse gases is not a bad thing.
    Okay, that's fair enough. Without this effect, Earth would essentially be like Mars in terms of organisms.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Precisely, water vapor and the other greenhouse gases are supposed to be there. The amounts, or more precisely the increase/decrease in said amounts, is the issue.
    But it isn't important just how much water vapor we start with. It also depends on how much of the other greenhouse gases are in the atmosphere. CO2, for example, could start the chain reaction just like methane could. An overt increase in any greenhouse gas can potentially trigger climate change, albeit slowly.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I ask for some links to prove this, as I haven’t found anything regarding it, and it sounds interesting.
    Here is another link just to be sure.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    But how do you KNOW the logic is so sound it cannot possibly be wrong?
    What you are basically saying is, “it is this way because it is this way”.
    What if it isn’t?
    Hell, I hold the belief that anything is possible…Although not probable.
    Always question.
    Always wonder.
    If CO2 is in fact a greenhouse gas, which is to say that it does increase the amount of energy contained inside the atmosphere, and if it is true we have been increasing the amount of CO2, it is only logical to think that the cahin reaction which I have described is in fact taking place.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    How do you know this? What proof do you have?
    This is another case of your stating “X will happen because of Y”, but without proving Y.
    In truth, it doesn't matter if I'm the least bit right about this, as long as you concede that increasing CO2 in the atmosphere increases the temperature in the atmosphere

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Your assumptions are as follows:
    1. That AGW/ACC (Anthropogenic Climate Change) is happening, and will result in a change major enough to cause the effect you state.
    2. That animals cannot adapt at the pace you assume the change will occur.
    3. That the change will be permanent.
    Point one is the only necessary stipulation, which I believe I have layed the foundation for, in the links provided. Point two is a topic which I was guessing at, and I'd accept being wrong about my statement. Point three doesn't need to be true. If climate changes for say 1,000 years, to a warmer climate, there will be species which won't adapt in time, or not enough adapt or whatever happens, but there will be extinctions. Thats besides the point of climate change though.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I understand your argument, partially.
    I don’t necessarily agree that “it is undoubtedly happening”. Nothing that exists (or doesn’t, as the case may be) is incapable of being doubted.
    I assume by referring to the recent snow storm you refer to the El Niño effect and it’s affect on the weather?
    I further assume that you are assuming climate change affects El Niño?
    I also assume that you are assuming ACC would then further affect El Niño?
    I concede all the stipulations except that El Nino caused the recent snow storm. I was merely guessing at that, but I would think that ENSO would mostly affect the Pacific Ocean, rather then the Atlantic.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    All those ideas MIGHT help, assuming there is a problem to begin with, and the earth can’t fix itself.
    Better, I think, to focus those funds on aggressively pursuing ever higher technology levels.
    We may find a solution, or that there wasn’t an issue to begin with. And keeping those scientists in the lab will keep em’ off the roads, producing CO2…
    Well, I think it depends on what you mean by, "the earth can't fix itself." Can it return to some equilibrium point? Yes, it most certainly can, and will. The question is whether that equilibrium will be the same as it was say in the 1950's, or now. I personally think the new equilibrium will be at a hotter global temperature, with slightly higher ocean levels (maybe 6 inches).
    But, you see, the recent events that everyone opposed to the AGW/ACC theory are excited about…If those events are as reported (by some), then the “facts” some of those books are based on might be faulty.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I don’t really understand it all myself…but I think I have a basic grasp.
    I really don't think anyone fully understands the climate.
    Last edited by repeter; 02-17-10 at 06:02 PM.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  5. #485
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    Not, its not. An appeal to popularty is a fallacy, period.
    Hide behind your fallacies all you want
    Last edited by repeter; 02-17-10 at 06:18 PM.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  6. #486
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Well, I guess that ends the argument. Someone used the "Unequivocal Bomb".

    Do you have anything to contribute to the thread? Or do you just try to act like a smart-ass everywhere you go?
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  7. #487
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Well, I guess that ends the argument. Someone used the "Unequivocal Bomb".

    The mainstream science debate of AGW has been over for some time. We world has moved on to action to help slow it down.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #488
    Sage
    Oozlefinch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    State of Jefferson
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    11,363

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    For all the deniers out there:

    1. "Global warming is unequivocal and primarily human-induced."
    The problem is that in this kind of case, figures and facts can be twisted and distorted to show whatever they want to claim.

    I can show you some great statistics that claim that blacks are inferior to whites, but that certainly does not mean it is true. It is all in how you can make figures lie, depending on how you present them.

    And answer me this, if "Global Warming" is primarily human-induced, what caused the end of the ice age? Humans? And since we are still technically in an ice age, what will it mean when the polar ice cap finally disolves?

    And that alone is something I highly question. I am actually seeing dates of 2013 as to when the North Polar Ice Cap will no longer exist!

    BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Arctic summers ice-free 'by 2013'

    So when we revisit this in a few years, can those of us that do not believe in "Man Made Global Warming" then laugh at those that make such claims?

  9. #489
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Do you have anything to contribute to the thread? Or do you just try to act like a smart-ass everywhere you go?
    Yes, I've been contributing all along.

    And when a post is so clearly missing the point that smiley's are indicated, I indicate with smileys.

    It's why they're here.


  10. #490
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    The mainstream science debate of AGW has been over for some time. We world has moved on to action to help slow it down.
    No, the debate over AGW never ended.

    That's why we now know AGW is a hoax.

    NOW the debate over AGW is over.

Page 49 of 102 FirstFirst ... 3947484950515999 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •