View Poll Results: Is Global Warming a myth?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, explain

    52 34.44%
  • No, Explain

    99 65.56%
Page 34 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 1020

Thread: Is Global Warming a myth?

  1. #331
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,753

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    I'm sorry if I got something wrong, but thats what I've been taught in marine science, and AP Environmental Science. And the logic trains seem pretty well founded to me...
    Well, I know far less than you on the subject...
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #332
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    That is mostly true. For the Western, developed nations, weather will simply become more erratic. In undeveloepd countries, like those in Southeast Asia, millions of people will die over a few decades due to stronger seasonal storms, unless the governments can implement better regulation on buildings, and better emergency services.

    And the BS about the north pole melting is just crap. That ice is floating, so even if it melts, its weight is already displaced, so it makes no difference.
    Climategate U-turn: Astonishment as scientist at centre of global warming email row admits data not well organised | Mail Online


    Professor Jones told the BBC yesterday there was truth in the observations of colleagues that he lacked organisational skills, that his office was swamped with piles of paper and that his record keeping is ‘not as good as it should be’.

    The data is crucial to the famous ‘hockey stick graph’ used by climate change advocates to support the theory.

    Professor Jones also conceded the possibility that the world was warmer in medieval times than now – suggesting global warming may not be a man-made phenomenon.

    And he said that for the past 15 years there has been no ‘statistically significant’ warming.


    No significant warming the last 15 years.

    It was warmer in mid evil times.

  3. #333
    don't panic
    marduc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 04:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,301

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    edit.. oops that was not the same article
    Last edited by marduc; 02-15-10 at 07:37 PM.
    Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
    Drugs are bad, prohibition is worse

  4. #334
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Climategate U-turn: Astonishment as scientist at centre of global warming email row admits data not well organised | Mail Online


    Professor Jones told the BBC yesterday there was truth in the observations of colleagues that he lacked organisational skills, that his office was swamped with piles of paper and that his record keeping is ‘not as good as it should be’.

    The data is crucial to the famous ‘hockey stick graph’ used by climate change advocates to support the theory.

    Professor Jones also conceded the possibility that the world was warmer in medieval times than now – suggesting global warming may not be a man-made phenomenon.

    And he said that for the past 15 years there has been no ‘statistically significant’ warming.


    No significant warming the last 15 years.

    It was warmer in mid evil times.
    Lets take a look at the facts, all this climategate stuff aside.

    Since 1900, we have been spewing out more and more CO2, correct?

    Now, I fully agree, the amount of CO2 we've thrown out cannot substantially warm the Earth, but it can cause a very small amount of warming, globally. We've also had our ozone layer depleted in certain areas, adding to the amount of energy that reaches the surface of the Earth.

    As I've said before, the most dangerous greenhouse gas is water vapor. The amounts that naturally occur through evaporation allow enough heat to remain in the biosphere so live can be sustained. But, when we increase the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, as we obviously have, you increase the rate of evaporation very slightly. This in turn releases a tiny bit more water vapor then is the norm for our environment. Because of this, temperatures rise, because more energy is being trapped inside the biosphere. This in turn causes another small increase in evaporation, which forces another increase in temperature.

    This is what's known as a positive feedback loop. Its like a human who can't sweat when exercising. Your body keeps heating up, and heating up, and it can't get rid of the heat fast enough. The checks and balances of the environment cannot stop this process.

    What ends up happening, is over very long periods of time, temperature increases slowly, but surely. Given the length of time this takes, you could take any 40 year temperature interval, and you wouldn't find the slightest hint of temperature change. Regardless of what the data is saying, this is happening, because, quite frankly, the logic is too sound to be wrong.

    These changes won't happen fast enough for them to kill off humans, or to do anything major to effect our way of live. What will happen, however, is other animals won't be able to adapt, because natural selection cannot work at the same pace as the climate change.

    This is another problem many people don't understand. A short time for Earth means thousands and thousands of years. In relation to the tim Earth has been around (4.6 billion years) humans have been around for maybe 10,000 years. So, for us, the climate change is going to take a very long time. but we have technology, we have adapted the Earth to fit our needs. Other animals, such as bears, and fish, can't change fast enough to match the pace of global warming.

    Do you understand now? It is undoubtedly happening, but not very fast, and probably not fast enough to effect us for a long time to come. The recent snow storm on the East Coast proves this process is taking place, even as we discuss it.

    I personally don't know what we can really do about it though. We can try to decrease the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, but that wouldn't do very much, as it has already started the reaction. We can try to decrease the amount of water vapor, and return it to normal levels, but we would have to pour trillions of dollars into that, and keep water vapor at a steady level for decades to stop this. And even then, if we are even slightly off from the original number, the process will continue, or we might start an ice age because we removed too much water vapor.

    That's my take on things, but again, I might be wrong, but that would also mean my books are wrong, and their logic, and they seem pretty solid.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  5. #335
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Lets take a look at the facts, all this climategate stuff aside.

    Since 1900, we have been spewing out more and more CO2, correct?

    Now, I fully agree, the amount of CO2 we've thrown out cannot substantially warm the Earth, but it can cause a very small amount of warming, globally. We've also had our ozone layer depleted in certain areas, adding to the amount of energy that reaches the surface of the Earth.

    As I've said before, the most dangerous greenhouse gas is water vapor. The amounts that naturally occur through evaporation allow enough heat to remain in the biosphere so live can be sustained. But, when we increase the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, as we obviously have, you increase the rate of evaporation very slightly. This in turn releases a tiny bit more water vapor then is the norm for our environment. Because of this, temperatures rise, because more energy is being trapped inside the biosphere. This in turn causes another small increase in evaporation, which forces another increase in temperature.

    This is what's known as a positive feedback loop. Its like a human who can't sweat when exercising. Your body keeps heating up, and heating up, and it can't get rid of the heat fast enough. The checks and balances of the environment cannot stop this process.

    What ends up happening, is over very long periods of time, temperature increases slowly, but surely. Given the length of time this takes, you could take any 40 year temperature interval, and you wouldn't find the slightest hint of temperature change. Regardless of what the data is saying, this is happening, because, quite frankly, the logic is too sound to be wrong.

    These changes won't happen fast enough for them to kill off humans, or to do anything major to effect our way of live. What will happen, however, is other animals won't be able to adapt, because natural selection cannot work at the same pace as the climate change.

    This is another problem many people don't understand. A short time for Earth means thousands and thousands of years. In relation to the tim Earth has been around (4.6 billion years) humans have been around for maybe 10,000 years. So, for us, the climate change is going to take a very long time. but we have technology, we have adapted the Earth to fit our needs. Other animals, such as bears, and fish, can't change fast enough to match the pace of global warming.

    Do you understand now? It is undoubtedly happening, but not very fast, and probably not fast enough to effect us for a long time to come. The recent snow storm on the East Coast proves this process is taking place, even as we discuss it.

    I personally don't know what we can really do about it though. We can try to decrease the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, but that wouldn't do very much, as it has already started the reaction. We can try to decrease the amount of water vapor, and return it to normal levels, but we would have to pour trillions of dollars into that, and keep water vapor at a steady level for decades to stop this. And even then, if we are even slightly off from the original number, the process will continue, or we might start an ice age because we removed too much water vapor.

    That's my take on things, but again, I might be wrong, but that would also mean my books are wrong, and their logic, and they seem pretty solid.
    Professor Jones also conceded the possibility that the world was warmer in medieval times than now – suggesting global warming may not be a man-made phenomenon.

    And he said that for the past 15 years there has been no ‘statistically significant’ warming.

  6. #336
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    Professor Jones also conceded the possibility that the world was warmer in medieval times than now – suggesting global warming may not be a man-made phenomenon.

    And he said that for the past 15 years there has been no ‘statistically significant’ warming.
    I'm sorry, but I gave as thorough an explanation as I possibly could. You just ignored all of it. How about you address my post, and then I'll address yours? Because, infalliable logic trumps any source providable.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  7. #337
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    There, fixed it for you. While I admit Catawba didn't address your points, you also failed to address his. Therefore, you were both in fault. Catawba later addressed it, indirectly. You maintin your position, and have as of yet, failed to address the points brought up by Catawba.
    That's because his argument wasn't even relevant.

    What does the EPA under the Bush administration have to do with a CRU scientist admitting that his data was unreliable?

    Absolutely nothing, that's what.

  8. #338
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    What I'm saying is newly introduced CO2 is bad for the environment, because the atmosphere already has reached a saturation point. While the net effect of this increase in CO2 isn't devastating, it starts a chain reaction. The paleocarbon, which is released from burning fossil fuels, increases the amount of thermal energy stored in the Earth's atmosphere very marginally.

    But, this is still a problem, because then this slight increase in energy increases the amount of water which evaporates, because warmer water evaporates faster. This is the problem. By far the most effective greenhouse gas is water vapor, which starts its own little (metaphorically speaking) chain reaction, warming, and releasing more and more water vapor through evaporation.

    This process also starts with minute increases in methane, or CH4. The difference with the methane, largely released by livestock, is that it isn't a paleocarbon. Therefore, the environment is suited to hold the methane, because it is just being transferred from the livestock to the atmosphere, which is readily transferred into plants.

    Do you understand now? Its indirectly the increase of paleocarbons that causes global warming, which leads to, in parts of the world, snow storms of unparalleled ferocity. But thats meteorology. Just ask if you need me to explain that as well.
    Too bad there is no real reason to believe this process is having a significant effect on global temperatures. Instead, there is unreliable data and alarmist caterwauling.

  9. #339
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Too bad there is no real reason to believe this process is having a significant effect on global temperatures. Instead, there is unreliable data and alarmist caterwauling.
    Really, its a matter of time. The effects will be minimal for most people, especially for the Western countries. For undeveleoped countries, however, the monsoons and floods will wreck havoc.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  10. #340
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    I'm sorry if I got something wrong, but thats what I've been taught in marine science, and AP Environmental Science. And the logic trains seem pretty well founded to me...
    The Earth has been warmer in the past while CO2 levels were much lower. So, it's fairly obvious that the 100 year warming trend we are seeing can be explained without human CO2 emissions.
    Last edited by Ethereal; 02-15-10 at 08:12 PM.

Page 34 of 102 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •