View Poll Results: Is Global Warming a myth?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, explain

    52 34.44%
  • No, Explain

    99 65.56%
Page 3 of 102 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 1020

Thread: Is Global Warming a myth?

  1. #21
    Educator ScottD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    06-27-11 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    977

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    But there have been hints that it was coming. The 2009 U.S. Climate Impacts Report found that large-scale cold-weather storm systems have gradually tracked to the north in the U.S. over the past 50 years. While the frequency of storms in the middle latitudes has decreased as the climate has warmed, the intensity of those storms has increased. That's in part because of global warming hotter air can hold more moisture, so when a storm gathers it can unleash massive amounts of snow. Colder air, by contrast, is drier; if we were in a truly vicious cold snap, like the one that occurred over much of the East Coast during parts of January, we would be unlikely to see heavy snowfall.

    But as far as winter storms go, shouldn't climate change make it too warm for snow to fall? Eventually that is likely to happen but probably not for a while. In the meantime, warmer air could be supercharged with moisture and, as long as the temperature remains below 32F, it will result in blizzards rather than drenching winter rainstorms. And while the mid-Atlantic has borne the brunt of the snowfall so far this winter, areas near lakes may get hit even worse. As global temperatures have risen, the winter ice cover over the Great Lakes has shrunk, which has led to even more moisture in the atmosphere and more snow in the already hard-hit Great Lakes region, according to a 2003 study in the Journal of Climate.

    Snowstorm: East Coast Blizzard Tied to Climate Change - TIME
    I must lengthen this post to ten characters.

  2. #22
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    10-21-10 @ 09:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    381

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Global warming isn't just a myth. It's a flagrant LIE.

    Liberals cling to this nonsense because it is politically beneficial for them to do so. If they can pass their green agenda, it will result in an unprecedented governmental power grab.

  3. #23
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    Last year in the PNW we had record breaking tempertures and snow so my question for you is how many years does it take? a few years ago the same scientists that are predicting global warming today were predicting a new ice age..........
    This entirely random photo from google images that I do not believe is any sort of evidence one way or another in this debate (I am an agnostic on the issue) shows a warming of somewhere between 2 and 5 degrees C over 100 years, so you will likely be dead before the bad stuff being predicted hits.



    However, the important thing is that this is an average increase. It doesn't mean we won't have temperature variations from year to year or region to region.
    Last edited by tacomancer; 02-11-10 at 06:12 PM.

  4. #24
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    The planet goes through warming and cooling trends. Since 1998, we've been in a cooling trend, prior to that was a warming trend. These things happen and have happened throughout history. Right now though, you've got a lot of liberals who are running around screaming the sky is falling and, of course, it has to be all our fault. Never mind all the money they're making off of it, it's got to be all our fault!

    The fact is, there isn't any significant evidence that the current trends are anything out of the ordinary or that they have much, if anything to do with human activity. But don't tell that to the liberals who are selling books and carbon credits, they'd lose millions.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #25
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    The planet goes through warming and cooling trends. Since 1998, we've been in a cooling trend, prior to that was a warming trend. These things happen and have happened throughout history. Right now though, you've got a lot of liberals who are running around screaming the sky is falling and, of course, it has to be all our fault. Never mind all the money they're making off of it, it's got to be all our fault!

    The fact is, there isn't any significant evidence that the current trends are anything out of the ordinary or that they have much, if anything to do with human activity. But don't tell that to the liberals who are selling books and carbon credits, they'd lose millions.
    Even if the earth is warming and it is our fault, there is very little we can do to prevent it, aside from abandoning industry altogether. IMO the better solution would be to press forward as quickly as possible to develop some good geoengineering solutions. Those would be much cheaper, more effective, and more plausible than cap-and-trade.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  6. #26
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    We are having record cold temperatures and snowfall in history across the United States so the question begs to be asked...
    Only by people who don't understand science.

  7. #27
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by K-1 View Post
    Global warming isn't just a myth. It's a flagrant LIE.

    Liberals cling to this nonsense because it is politically beneficial for them to do so. If they can pass their green agenda, it will result in an unprecedented governmental power grab.

    Right, and all those scientists, thousands of 'em, are in on the conspiracy because .... because ... well, there must be a reason.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Last Seen
    12-26-12 @ 01:02 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    28

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Global warming is not a myth. The planet is in a warming cycle (despite immediate lack of warming and possible slight cooling). We will most likely see warming this century. Humans do have an impact on our environment and our climate.

    That said, nobody knows for sure what our impact is. The current state of climate science is riddled with corruption, bad science and alarmist politics that has polluted the issue beyond reason. It is for that reason that our impact on climate change has likely been overstated.

    In time we will learn more about our environment and how we influence climate patterns on this planet. Unfortunately the truth will likely be delayed by political agendas and unethical science.

  9. #29
    Professor
    Groucho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Pocono Mountains, PA
    Last Seen
    05-24-11 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,363

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by thesheesh View Post
    Global warming is not a myth. The planet is in a warming cycle (despite immediate lack of warming and possible slight cooling). We will most likely see warming this century. Humans do have an impact on our environment and our climate.

    That said, nobody knows for sure what our impact is. The current state of climate science is riddled with corruption, bad science and alarmist politics that has polluted the issue beyond reason. It is for that reason that our impact on climate change has likely been overstated.

    In time we will learn more about our environment and how we influence climate patterns on this planet. Unfortunately the truth will likely be delayed by political agendas and unethical science.
    Exactly. There's no denying that we are going through a climate change. The facts are there.

    However, the cause of the change is certainly a subject for reasonable debate.

    It bugs the hell out of me how people can deny obvious science when it disagrees with their political views. (The same goes for evolution.) These people never challenge any other science. You never see them arguing against the theory of gravity or continental drift. The fact is that only science which challenges a political or religious view gets questioned to this degree.

  10. #30
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,951

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Global warming is not a myth, however AGW is. Right now they predict we are entering a 20-30 year cold cycle. Humans aren't causing the earth to warm, it's all lies meant to increase government and cripple nations from prospering.

Page 3 of 102 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •