View Poll Results: Is Global Warming a myth?

Voters
151. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, explain

    52 34.44%
  • No, Explain

    99 65.56%
Page 21 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 1020

Thread: Is Global Warming a myth?

  1. #201
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    Their is more consensus on this by the preeminent scientists of the world than most scientific assessments. That is about as close as you can get to proof in science.
    Then you simply do not understand the scientific method. Nothing is proven right because a majority says so. That's totally antithetical to science.

  2. #202
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    So, if Bush's EPA said something, then it must be true? Glad to hear it...
    We now have confirmation of the EPA under both parties as well as scientists from 180 countries around the world.

    I look at it this way. If you are right, and we take action to reduce our C02 anyway, we have cleaner air and are less dependent on Middle East wars for our energy which improves our economy and our security.

    On the other hand, if the scientist are right and we do nothing, we are condemning future life on the planet to a much more hostile environment that eventually may not be able to support life as we have known it.

    The majority of us are not prepared to gamble with our grandchildren's lives.

    What if you are wrong? Have you thought about the consequences and the guilt you would have for condemning future life on the planet?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  3. #203
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Then you simply do not understand the scientific method. Nothing is proven right because a majority says so. That's totally antithetical to science.
    You misunderstand. They each have their analytical methods. The more corroboration they have between their results the more sound the science.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  4. #204
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    melbourne florida
    Last Seen
    09-24-15 @ 12:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,156

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    You misunderstand. They each have their analytical methods. The more corroboration they have between their results the more sound the science.
    You mean the cheating, lies, and fraud?

  5. #205
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    You mean the cheating, lies, and fraud?
    I think he was referring to actual results, not falsified results.

    So far, I am of the opinion that humans have a very slight, if any, effect on the climate.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #206
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by ptif219 View Post
    You mean the cheating, lies, and fraud?
    There was nothing in the hacked emails that disproves global warming.

    As I told Ethereal, I look at it this way. If you are right, and we take action to reduce our C02 anyway, we have cleaner air and are less dependent on Middle East wars for our energy which improves our economy and our security.

    On the other hand, if the scientist are right and we do nothing, we are condemning future life on the planet to a much more hostile environment that eventually may not be able to support life as we have known it.

    The majority of us are not prepared to gamble with our grandchildren's lives.

    What if you are wrong? Have you thought about the consequences and the guilt you would have for condemning future life on the planet?
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  7. #207
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    There was nothing in the hacked emails that disproves global warming.

    As I told Ethereal, I look at it this way. If you are right, and we take action to reduce our C02 anyway, we have cleaner air and are less dependent on Middle East wars for our energy which improves our economy and our security.

    On the other hand, if the scientist are right and we do nothing, we are condemning future life on the planet to a much more hostile environment that eventually may not be able to support life as we have known it.

    The majority of us are not prepared to gamble with our grandchildren's lives.

    What if you are wrong? Have you thought about the consequences and the guilt you would have for condemning future life on the planet?
    As I understand it, CO2 itself is only a very minor part of the "greenhouse gases" that cause warming.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #208
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    As I understand it, CO2 itself is only a very minor part of the "greenhouse gases" that cause warming.
    Water vapor, methane, and CO2 are the main greenhouse gases. The way I was taught, water vapor is the most efficient greenhouse gas. Methane and CO2 output has increased since the industrial revolutions of Western Europe.

    The problem with the greenhouse effect, is that when you increase one factor, it triggers a cascading increase across the board, in terms of greenhouse gases. So, if you minutely increase methane and CO2, you automatically are going to get an increase in water vapor, over time.

    If you want me to explain why there is an increase in water vapor, feel free to ask.

    P.S. sorry if that sounds arrogant, I just want to make sure I tie up all loose ends.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  9. #209
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    As I understand it, CO2 itself is only a very minor part of the "greenhouse gases" that cause warming.
    As I understand it, it is the main component. When we reduce the burning of fossil fuels we do however reduce other greenhouse gases too. Of course there are natural sources of CO2 as well, but it is the combination of both the natural sources together with the man-made sources that overload the earths capacity to sequester it.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  10. #210
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is Global Warming a myth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    As I understand it, it is the main component. When we reduce the burning of fossil fuels we do however reduce other greenhouse gases too. Of course there are natural sources of CO2 as well, but it is the combination of both the natural sources together with the man-made sources that overload the earths capacity to sequester it.
    Specifically the introduction of paleocarbons, which are reintroduced into the Carbon cycle when fossil fuels are burned, thus forcing the environment to contend with larger total amounts of greenhoue gases.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Page 21 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •