View Poll Results: How long should we stay in Iraq?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • We should withdraw immediately

    13 37.14%
  • Set a timetable and get out in about 2 years.

    7 20.00%
  • Stay up to ten years.

    0 0%
  • However long it takes to make it stable, even if we have to stay 20 or more years.

    15 42.86%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: How long should we stay in Iraq?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnb View Post
    We haven't brought Democracy to either of those countries. We dropped a Trillion and made defense contractors richer.

    You don't take countries like Iraq and Afghanistan, invade them, spend a bunch of money, and then force them to go from the 15th Century into the 21st Century.
    I'll focus on Iraq, since Afghanistan has a set of problems inhibiting good governance.

    We did bring Democracy to Iraq. Did you miss the provincial elections last year? Keep your eyes peeled for the National elections in March. It will be easy to miss since the press doesn't cover Iraq anymore. I will be sure to post some things about it.

    We absolutely did take a country, Iraq, invaded it, spent money, and forced them to become a Democracy. They already had an economy and a high literacy and pre-existing political parties, so that all helped. They are currently a functioning democracy. That is HUGE!

  2. #32
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,073

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnb View Post
    And over the last 8 years both wars combined have cost us close to 1 Trillion Dollars. Just imagine what we could have done with that money. For starters we could have simply kept it in the bank accounts of the tax payers. A place where I would have been free to decide how to spend it instead of having the government decide for me.

    Wouldn't that be better?
    For some reason I do not think the government would have done that,they would have found something else to blow that money on and it most certainly would not have been the tax payers.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #33
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,798

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by jr602az View Post
    Finally Obama will end the war in Iraq on August 31st 2010, if you don't believe than watch this video.
    He can say whatever he wants, I'll believe it when the last combat troops get on transports and leave Iraqi airspace. Obama is a politician, you know he's lying because his lips are moving.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #34
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    We should never have gone there.

  5. #35
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnb View Post
    And over the last 8 years both wars combined have cost us close to 1 Trillion Dollars. Just imagine what we could have done with that money. For starters we could have simply kept it in the bank accounts of the tax payers. A place where I would have been free to decide how to spend it instead of having the government decide for me.

    Wouldn't that be better?
    Military decisions, especially the decision to go to war, are NEVER made with fiscal concerns in mind, nor should they be. Whether or not we should have gone into Iraq can be argued, but the money part is completely irrelevant to that argument.

    Especially since, as I said, it takes up less than 5% of the federal budget. How ironic that people who before were arguing "Iraq is too expensive!!" now advocate a trillion dollar stimulus, a trillion dollar health care bill, a who-knows-how-expensive "jobs" bill, etc.

  6. #36
    Educator Winnb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    02-22-10 @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    822

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Military decisions, especially the decision to go to war, are NEVER made with fiscal concerns in mind, nor should they be. Whether or not we should have gone into Iraq can be argued, but the money part is completely irrelevant to that argument.

    Especially since, as I said, it takes up less than 5% of the federal budget. How ironic that people who before were arguing "Iraq is too expensive!!" now advocate a trillion dollar stimulus, a trillion dollar health care bill, a who-knows-how-expensive "jobs" bill, etc.
    Bush and Congress started 2 wars and then cut taxes. Are you telling me that wasn't a fiscal decision? It was. And it was a bad one.

    Who the hell starts 2 wars and cuts taxes? Let that sink in....

    Money is always relevant to a discussion involving our government. Our taxes pay for those wars. Every penny of it. Money is always relevant.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none.

    -------------------------------------------------

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?






    .

  8. #38
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Once we get over the fact that we have no business there to begin with, then I say We should stay for ever and ever. we need to make sure their economy, and Gubment are up and running, while ours goes down the crapper. we need to secure their borders, while our own borders are left wide open for a constant invasion. ---but Irag's needs should come before America's needs. Because we are all about invading a people, killiin off a mess of them, an then spending a fortune rebuilding what we just blew up. We the American People, just provide the money, but should have no say in how it is spent it seems. Plus look at all the good we have done there, once we found they had no WMD. --and for only the cost how many thousands of American Lives. Sure, let's just move in, and stay forever. why not.
    Last edited by Skateguy; 02-10-10 at 02:40 PM.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Last Seen
    10-14-11 @ 10:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,164

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
    We should stay for ever and ever. we need to make sure their economy, and Gubment are up and running, while ours goes down the crapper. we need to secure their borders, while our own borders are left wide open for a constant invasion. ---but Irag's needs should come before America's needs. Because we are all about invading a people, killiin off a mess of them, an then spending a fortune rebuilding what we just blew up. We the American People, just provide the money, but should have no say in how it is spent it seems. Plus look at all the good we have done there, once we found they had no WMD. --and for only how many thousands of american Lives. Sure, let just move in, and stay forever. why not.
    Facetious, are we?

  10. #40
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by kansaswhig View Post
    Facetious, are we?
    Ya, a little bit--I'm just not the kind of guy that will give someone the shirt off my back, when my Son is cold, and could use it. I care less then nothing about what is happening on the other side of the world. I'm busy trying to keep the lights and gas on here at home. I don't have the luxury of saving all of mankind, --nor do I have any interest in doing so. Let them fend for themselves, as they have done for thousands of years. I got problems of my own.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •