View Poll Results: How long should we stay in Iraq?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • We should withdraw immediately

    13 37.14%
  • Set a timetable and get out in about 2 years.

    7 20.00%
  • Stay up to ten years.

    0 0%
  • However long it takes to make it stable, even if we have to stay 20 or more years.

    15 42.86%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46

Thread: How long should we stay in Iraq?

  1. #21
    Enemy Combatant
    Kandahar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Last Seen
    10-15-13 @ 08:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    20,688

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    Actually, only the combat troops will be out, but 50,000 will still be in and they include trainers and special ops. They should stay as long as it takes. Elections should prove interesting.
    As long as they aren't being fired at, and they're still welcome by the Iraqi government, I'm OK with that.
    Are you coming to bed?
    I can't. This is important.
    What?
    Someone is WRONG on the internet! -XKCD

  2. #22
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    How long should we stay in Iraq? Note: Poll is only about Iraq, not Afghanistan.
    However long it takes to finish the job.Setting a time table just tells the terrorist and any other scum to set their watches. Leaving before the job just says we are not committed in any war and just encourages our enemies to hold out.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #23
    Professor
    Luna Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Nebraska
    Last Seen
    04-05-13 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    However long it takes to finish the job.Setting a time table just tells the terrorist and any other scum to set their watches. Leaving before the job just says we are not committed in any war and just encourages our enemies to hold out.
    Do you support a war tax then? I'm not being facetious. The war is piling up a mountain of debt for us. A country can only deficit spend on a war on a temporary basis. Piling up debt year after year will end up bankrupting us if we sustain to for too long. The war has already lasted longer than World War II. If we had a war tax, we could at least make the war stop piling up debt for us. It would not be painless. It would not be easy. But if a war is important enough, people just have to sacrifice to win it. Is that the case here? Is this one of those essential wars like World War II or is it one we were foolish to get into?

    Again, these are not sarcastic questions. They're tough ones, real ones that must be answered. If we enacted a 20 cent per gallon tax, for example, to pay for the war, I don't know that Americans would support that. I think they would be disgusted with it and demand that we get out. I could be wrong. If it took us 20 years to stabilize that country, we simply could not deficit spend at the rate we are over that period of time without it ruining our economy. Then again, a war tax wouldn't be so great for the economy either.

    Would it even be stabilized after 20 years of occupation and a war tax? Another tough question.

    I don't know that the American public views this war as an essential one that they're willing to sacrifice for like they were for the defeat of Hitler and Imperial Japan. Up to this point, it's been almost exclusively our military families who have done all the sacrificing. It can't remain like that. The nation as a whole has to be willing to sacrifice to win this or we have to simply get out.

    Is this one where we have to simply admit we screwed up and get out? Another really tough question. If the answer is yes, then we simply must get the hell out. Not an easy thing to do. But it still would be easier than kidding ourselves until it bankrupts us and we're finally willing to admit we f###ed up and get out.

  4. #24
    Student jr602az's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Phoenix,Az USA
    Last Seen
    12-29-10 @ 01:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    162

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Finally Obama will end the war in Iraq on August 31st 2010, if you don't believe than watch this video.

    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxG0JrWNDaU"]YouTube- Obama Announces End to Iraq War in Aug. 2010[/ame]
    Click On The Link Below To Visit My YouTube Channel & If You Have A YouTube Account, Please Subscribe.
    Thank You Enjoy
    http://www.YouTube.com/MarijuanaCommunity

  5. #25
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    Do you support a war tax then? I'm not being facetious. The war is piling up a mountain of debt for us. A country can only deficit spend on a war on a temporary basis. Piling up debt year after year will end up bankrupting us if we sustain to for too long. The war has already lasted longer than World War II. If we had a war tax, we could at least make the war stop piling up debt for us. It would not be painless. It would not be easy. But if a war is important enough, people just have to sacrifice to win it. Is that the case here? Is this one of those essential wars like World War II or is it one we were foolish to get into?

    Again, these are not sarcastic questions. They're tough ones, real ones that must be answered. If we enacted a 20 cent per gallon tax, for example, to pay for the war, I don't know that Americans would support that. I think they would be disgusted with it and demand that we get out. I could be wrong. If it took us 20 years to stabilize that country, we simply could not deficit spend at the rate we are over that period of time without it ruining our economy. Then again, a war tax wouldn't be so great for the economy either.

    Would it even be stabilized after 20 years of occupation and a war tax? Another tough question.

    I don't know that the American public views this war as an essential one that they're willing to sacrifice for like they were for the defeat of Hitler and Imperial Japan. Up to this point, it's been almost exclusively our military families who have done all the sacrificing. It can't remain like that. The nation as a whole has to be willing to sacrifice to win this or we have to simply get out.

    Is this one where we have to simply admit we screwed up and get out? Another really tough question. If the answer is yes, then we simply must get the hell out. Not an easy thing to do. But it still would be easier than kidding ourselves until it bankrupts us and we're finally willing to admit we f###ed up and get out.
    Both wars combined take up about 5% of the federal budget.

  6. #26
    Educator Winnb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    02-22-10 @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    822

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Both wars combined take up about 5% of the federal budget.
    And over the last 8 years both wars combined have cost us close to 1 Trillion Dollars. Just imagine what we could have done with that money. For starters we could have simply kept it in the bank accounts of the tax payers. A place where I would have been free to decide how to spend it instead of having the government decide for me.

    Wouldn't that be better?
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none.

    -------------------------------------------------

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    07-23-12 @ 03:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    6,763
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnb View Post
    And over the last 8 years both wars combined have cost us close to 1 Trillion Dollars. Just imagine what we could have done with that money. For starters we could have simply kept it in the bank accounts of the tax payers. A place where I would have been free to decide how to spend it instead of having the government decide for me.

    Wouldn't that be better?
    It cost a lot but it was worth it to bring democracy to that part of the world. We have done a GREAT thing.

  8. #28
    Educator Winnb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    02-22-10 @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    822

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by reefedjib View Post
    It cost a lot but it was worth it to bring democracy to that part of the world. We have done a GREAT thing.
    We haven't brought Democracy to either of those countries. We dropped a Trillion and made defense contractors richer.

    You don't take countries like Iraq and Afghanistan, invade them, spend a bunch of money, and then force them to go from the 15th Century into the 21st Century.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none.

    -------------------------------------------------

  9. #29
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,699

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by Luna Tick View Post
    How long should we stay in Iraq? Note: Poll is only about Iraq, not Afghanistan.
    I actually believe we should have given the Iraqis a timeline, helped them to establish their government and constitution...trained their police and soldiers...and all the while informed them that if they REALLY want to let the extremists rule their country and turn that place into a fiery hellhole...fine by us. We should have been gone by 2007/2008 at the latest.

    Even though we stayed in Germany and Japan...those countries and the situation is RADICALLY different. Their people were by and large invested in their own country and success. And while our soldiers were exposed to the occasional pot shots in Germany for 15 years...by and large that was due to the separation of Germany...not the direction the West Germans were headed.

  10. #30
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,699

    Re: How long should we stay in Iraq?

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnb View Post
    And over the last 8 years both wars combined have cost us close to 1 Trillion Dollars. Just imagine what we could have done with that money. For starters we could have simply kept it in the bank accounts of the tax payers. A place where I would have been free to decide how to spend it instead of having the government decide for me.

    Wouldn't that be better?
    We could have spent it on social programs and reform-kept it in the hands of the government...right?

    Always curious...does that mean if it HADNT cost so much it would be the right thing to do? Is right or wrong based on a dollar figure?

    That 'trillion dollars'...where do you think the vast majority of that money went? Right back into the hands of consumers.

    BTW...the cost of the war is GREATLY misunderstood. The reality is those troops would be paid whether they were in Iraq or their bases in the US and around the world. The ordinance would have been expended. And MOST of the money is going to American contractors with American employees who's families still live in the US and are still spending the money here.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •