View Poll Results: Is it time for NATO to take military action against Iran?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 34.04%
  • No

    28 59.57%
  • Other

    3 6.38%
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 164

Thread: Iran orders more enrichment, prompting US to call for the world to stand together

  1. #11
    Educator Winnb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    02-22-10 @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    822

    Re: Iran orders more enrichment, prompting US to call for the world to stand together

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalGear View Post
    BBC News - Iran makes new uranium enrichment challenge

    Now choose the option you feel appropriate in the poll.
    Do you think an armed assault by NATO is due? Surely such a thing is inevitable, if this hard liner insists on dragging down Iran with him.
    Why does Iran not have the right to pursue nuclear weapons?
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none.

    -------------------------------------------------

  2. #12
    wʜɪтe яussɪaи Tashah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ישראל אמריקה
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Iran orders more enrichment, prompting US to call for the world to stand together

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnb View Post
    Why does Iran not have the right to pursue nuclear weapons?
    Because Iran is a signatory of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).

    אשכנזי היהודי Белый Россию

  3. #13
    DEATH TO ANTARCTICA!!!
    Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    17,174

    Re: Iran orders more enrichment, prompting US to call for the world to stand together

    Quote Originally Posted by MetalGear View Post
    I haven't seen any evidence in my life time, ever, to suggest sanctions work. Name me a single regime which has collapsed economically due to sanctions? Regimes just turn to isolationist economic policies and always seem to get along just fine. Look at Cuba for instance, or what the UN tried to do to Cyprus, unjustly or not. In fact, they fair far better than us when we come to our knees every decade because of inevitable capitalist market failures.
    Well they aren't that successful either.
    Sanctions could work if the ones that impose them know what they're doing.

    Besides, I do not see many other option except going into an all out war.
    "The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis."

    Dante Alighieri

  4. #14
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Iran orders more enrichment, prompting US to call for the world to stand together

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnb View Post
    Why does Iran not have the right to pursue nuclear weapons?
    Nuclear proliferation in unstable governments run by unstable people, (in this case an Islamic Government which supports terrorism and who's rhetoric clearly states the killing of the Jews) is a recipe for disaster.

    You're question obviously wasn't serious, but I thought I'd answer anyway. Obviously Iran has the right to nuclear power though... strictly observed, controlled and monitored until such time Iran can show the rest of the world it is stable... ie., like Britain, France, and other nuclear country's have in the past. This isn't just about Iran though... Pakistan is a concern as is North Korea a bigger concern.
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #15
    Educator Winnb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    02-22-10 @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    822

    Re: Iran orders more enrichment, prompting US to call for the world to stand together

    Quote Originally Posted by Tashah View Post
    Because Iran is a signatory of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).
    True, but they can simply withdraw from that. Nations withdraw from treaties all of the time.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none.

    -------------------------------------------------

  6. #16
    Educator Winnb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    02-22-10 @ 07:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    822

    Re: Iran orders more enrichment, prompting US to call for the world to stand together

    Quote Originally Posted by Ockham View Post
    Nuclear proliferation in unstable governments run by unstable people, (in this case an Islamic Government which supports terrorism and who's rhetoric clearly states the killing of the Jews) is a recipe for disaster.

    You're question obviously wasn't serious, but I thought I'd answer anyway. Obviously Iran has the right to nuclear power though... strictly observed, controlled and monitored until such time Iran can show the rest of the world it is stable... ie., like Britain, France, and other nuclear country's have in the past. This isn't just about Iran though... Pakistan is a concern as is North Korea a bigger concern.
    My question was serious. Why should any nation not pursue weapons technology that benefits them? It seems foolish to voluntarily decline the best defensive weaponry available.

    Iran has the same right to nuclear power that we do. As for your argument that they must somehow prove to the rest of the world that they are "stable"... how does a nation prove they're stable? Define "stable."

    There are many people on this planet, quite reasonable and intelligent, who would say the US is unstable. And if you look at the number of military personnel and bases we have scattered around the world it would seem they have a case. Especially when you add in the fact that we have taken very aggressive military actions throughout the world in the last few decades.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none.

    -------------------------------------------------

  7. #17
    wʜɪтe яussɪaи Tashah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    ישראל אמריקה
    Last Seen
    05-12-14 @ 04:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,379

    Re: Iran orders more enrichment, prompting US to call for the world to stand together

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnb View Post
    True, but they can simply withdraw from that. Nations withdraw from treaties all of the time.
    Certainly they can withdraw. But then the "peaceful purposes" charade would be plainly exposed. They would become a nuclear rogue state like North Korea. Quite unlike NK, the Iranians are very sensitive about their global reputation.

    אשכנזי היהודי Белый Россию

  8. #18
    Advisor Rassales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    03-08-10 @ 02:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    564

    Re: Iran orders more enrichment, prompting US to call for the world to stand together

    It's interesting that no one has mentioned China yet, which is the last SC power unwilling to move forward with a non-military, non-negotiated action against Iran. They say diplomacy can still work. Any idea what they mean? (That's not a rhetorical question, I'm really curious about how Iran can be dissuaded from pursuing nuclear weapons and fully complying with IAEA requirements.)

    I voted "no" in the poll, but we have to make SOME progress of some kind at some point.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Lord Tammerlain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:29 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    10,431

    Re: Iran orders more enrichment, prompting US to call for the world to stand together

    Quote Originally Posted by Rassales View Post
    It's interesting that no one has mentioned China yet, which is the last SC power unwilling to move forward with a non-military, non-negotiated action against Iran. They say diplomacy can still work. Any idea what they mean? (That's not a rhetorical question, I'm really curious about how Iran can be dissuaded from pursuing nuclear weapons and fully complying with IAEA requirements.)

    I voted "no" in the poll, but we have to make SOME progress of some kind at some point.
    First

    Why are you sure that Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons ( all evidence so far presented has been faked)

    Secondly China tends not to support foreign intervention in any countries internal affairs through the US. Bad memories from the late 1800 and early 1900 when it suffered under the drug pushing UK and other nations

  10. #20
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Iran orders more enrichment, prompting US to call for the world to stand together

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnb View Post
    My question was serious. Why should any nation not pursue weapons technology that benefits them? It seems foolish to voluntarily decline the best defensive weaponry available.
    It seems prudent to deprive Iran nuclear weapons, not foolish.

    Quote Originally Posted by Winnb View Post
    Iran has the same right to nuclear power that we do. As for your argument that they must somehow prove to the rest of the world that they are "stable"... how does a nation prove they're stable? Define "stable."
    They prove their stability over decades - showing they are not threatening to other country's, they do not support terrorist organizations, that their internal population is content with their leadership and function. That Iran's leaders & rhetoric does not call for the destruction of any other country and that Iran has an open and accessible society and borders as well as an open diplomatic channel where both political allies and detractors.

    Let me make it easy... when people and governments from any country can travel to and from Iran like they can with Britain, France, Japan, Australia or if you'd like.... Egypt, Jordan, Turkey... and where trade and diplomacy works like they do in those other country's as I described... then Iran will prove themselves "stable".


    Quote Originally Posted by Winnb View Post
    There are many people on this planet, quite reasonable and intelligent, who would say the US is unstable. And if you look at the number of military personnel and bases we have scattered around the world it would seem they have a case. Especially when you add in the fact that we have taken very aggressive military actions throughout the world in the last few decades.
    Define "many" - since you're into calling out subjectivty. However, a prolific military which is used by the way, with the cooperation of both the U.N. and NATO and NOT as a single country simply acting on it's own, defines your "many reasonable and intelligent" not as you say, but as fringe critics. Got some links to these people? I'd be interested in gauging their intelligence for myself. Were your claim of "reasonable and intelligent" claim accurate - the support and membership of the United States would have diminished and fallen away over time. That obviously has not happened, therefore the majority of opinion is not as you say --- which means you put forth a false choice. Either your claim of "intelligent and reasonable" are not intelligent or reasonable OR the rest of the world is apparently stupid.

    Were I a betting man... Iran is not seen as intelligent, reasonable, open, or stable. Why don't you start a poll... ask the question:

    "Do you consider Iran a "stable" country in the World?"
    - Yes
    - No
    - Other

    I'd be interested in public opinion on this. I already know the answer but perhaps you would benefit by it.
    Last edited by Ockham; 02-07-10 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling / missing words
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •