View Poll Results: Good idea?

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    40 44.94%
  • No

    49 55.06%
Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 294

Thread: Should all child molesters be castrated before leaving prison?

  1. #261
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Should all child molesters be castrated before leaving prison?

    Let's kill them by boiling them in acid, then kill their families by burning them alive in their houses, scatter their ashes in a trash pit, and then blow up their home towns with small thermonuclear devices.

  2. #262
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should all child molesters be castrated before leaving prison?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Let's kill them by boiling them in acid, then kill their families by burning them alive in their houses, scatter their ashes in a trash pit, and then blow up their home towns with small thermonuclear devices.
    Sure, I mean if you're ok half-assing it.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  3. #263
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Should all child molesters be castrated before leaving prison?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I don't care what method they'd prefer. What I care about is what is proper action of government against its people. Castration is cruel and unusual, and active monitoring I think needs to be banned. Infinite tracking and monitoring cannot be allowed in the least. It's not proper action by the government. And it doesn't matter how much we've dehumanized the criminal or demonized the crime; there are only certain actions the government may take and it is restricted on all other avenues.
    Just because you say something is cruel and unusual does not make it cruel and unusual.

    But I suppose we could let the pedophile decide: Life in prison or release from prison contingent upon chemical castration and implantation of a tracking device. I'm pretty sure I know which one they'd pick; most likely because it's not as cruel and unusual as you think...

  4. #264
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Should all child molesters be castrated before leaving prison?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    Still not valid power of the government. So no.
    According to who? Since when do you get to decide what is "cruel and unusual"?

  5. #265
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Should all child molesters be castrated before leaving prison?

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Let's kill them by boiling them in acid, then kill their families by burning them alive in their houses, scatter their ashes in a trash pit, and then blow up their home towns with small thermonuclear devices.
    Let's refrain from creating hyperbolic strawmen that don't actually address the issue.

    Child molesters are a danger to society. Their recidivism rates are evidence of this. Instead of pissing and moaning about the poor little pedophiles, why don't you think of some proactive solutions that protect children and decrease our prison populations?

    The status quo of, "just release them and hope they don't rape innocent children" is not acceptable.

  6. #266
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should all child molesters be castrated before leaving prison?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Just because you say something is cruel and unusual does not make it cruel and unusual.

    But I suppose we could let the pedophile decide: Life in prison or release from prison contingent upon chemical castration and implantation of a tracking device. I'm pretty sure I know which one they'd pick; most likely because it's not as cruel and unusual as you think...
    It is both, and just because the criminal may want one punishment over the other doesn't mean that they get it. The government is constrained. Just because you say something is not cruel and unusual does not make it not cruel and unusual.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #267
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should all child molesters be castrated before leaving prison?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    According to who? Since when do you get to decide what is "cruel and unusual"?
    According to that Constitution. I've heard you talk fondly of it in other threads, is that fondness merely dependent upon conditions of topic?
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  8. #268
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Should all child molesters be castrated before leaving prison?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    It is both...
    Once again, just because you say so does not make it so.

    ...and just because the criminal may want one punishment over the other doesn't mean that they get it.
    You're missing the point. I'm highlighting their preference because it undercuts your assertion that said punishment is cruel or unusual. If 99% of people would rather endure chemical castration and implantation as opposed to an accepted method of punishment, it doesn't really support the idea that it's cruel or unusual.

    The government is constrained. Just because you say something is not cruel and unusual does not make it not cruel and unusual.
    Except that's not my position. I'm basing it on the psychological aspect of the punishment. It isn't cruel because I'd let the person choose, and it isn't unusual because it fits the crime.

    You just hear the words "castration" and "tracking device" and reflexively label them as cruel and unusual without actually addressing the context of the crime.

  9. #269
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Should all child molesters be castrated before leaving prison?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    According to that Constitution. I've heard you talk fondly of it in other threads, is that fondness merely dependent upon conditions of topic?
    Cite the clause which prohibits the government from implanting cyanide tracking devices in child rapists.

  10. #270
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Should all child molesters be castrated before leaving prison?

    "Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted." - 8th amendment.

    You've highlighted some of the dangers of pure democracy. If the majority of the people want cruel or unusual punishment, they can't have it. It's expressly forbidden.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •