View Poll Results: Are Teacher Unions a good thing?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, entirely.

    7 10.29%
  • Yes, partially

    19 27.94%
  • No, partially

    10 14.71%
  • No, entirely

    29 42.65%
  • Other.

    3 4.41%
Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 297

Thread: Are Teacher Unions a good thing?

  1. #201
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Are Teacher Unions a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    It sounds to me like your interest is a selfish one that does not place a priority on education and the benefits that provides to the future of our country.

    But, you could prove me wrong by explaining how you would address each of these Virginia Education Assoc. goals without funding,


    Virginia Preschool Initiative?

    Comprehensive School Reform??

    Enhanced Career and Technical Education (Fine Arts - STEM)?

    Increased teacher participation in instructional decisions?

    Dropout prevention?

    Class size reduction?





    That is entirely your perception, and not one based on reality.
    Such a hollow and ill-conceived argument.

    Save the "your against education" sound bites for people who were born yesterday.

  2. #202
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Are Teacher Unions a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    But lots of people go through similar types of training and earn similar types of salaries.
    It's not limited to teachers and however noble ones intentions are, that is what the job pays.

    When you accept the job offer, you accept the pay.
    There should be no crying after the fact.
    I challenge you to name 3 jobs that require you to have a BA and a 1-2 training in the profession, that pay 30-40K a year.

    That's noble of you but in the end you wouldn't do it, if it didn't pay enough.
    ...and that's WITH a union.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  3. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Are Teacher Unions a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    I'm not in it for the money, but to deny that teachers get paid like crap is ridiculous. For all the schooling and training that one goes through to become a teacher, a 30-40k salary is insulting.

    I do it because I like my community. I teach where I live, and I want to give back to my community.
    Did you see the salary of those two teachers from my old high school?

    The drivers-ed teacher made $144,000 a year before he retired. The other one made $99,000 a year. That's totally excessive.

    I could have seriously done both of their jobs without any training whatsoever.

  4. #204
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Are Teacher Unions a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    I challenge you to name 3 jobs that require you to have a BA and a 1-2 training in the profession, that pay 30-40K a year.
    Scroll down to 10-20

    List of Best College Degrees by Salary: What Is Your Major Worth? - The Salary Reporter

    Your going to have to clarify what 1-2 training means.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    ...and that's WITH a union.
    A lot of people want to be teachers, supply vs demand.
    The early childhood education majors are everywhere in my state college.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  5. #205
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Are Teacher Unions a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Did you see the salary of those two teachers from my old high school?

    The drivers-ed teacher made $144,000 a year before he retired. The other one made $99,000 a year. That's totally excessive.

    I could have seriously done both of their jobs without any training whatsoever.
    Teacher's who have been around for 20+ years are different. And 144k is a lot to begin with too, even for one who is about to retire. The veteran teacher's at my school, who looks like they'll be retiring within the next 3-5 years, all make under 100k. The highest I think is 90k, and he's got about 35 years under his belt.

    I think your example may be an anomaly, or maybe it's just your state...
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  6. #206
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Are Teacher Unions a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    Scroll down to 10-20

    List of Best College Degrees by Salary: What Is Your Major Worth? - The Salary Reporter

    Your going to have to clarify what 1-2 training means.
    Sorry, typed too fast. I meant 1-2 years of training in the profession. Training like the credential that I hold in order for me to be a teacher. Like a license that a real estate agent holds.

    EDIT: and I didn't see any specific jobs. All of them are based on majors.
    Last edited by Lightdemon; 02-04-10 at 02:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

  7. #207
    Disappointed Evolutionist
    Catawba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    05-28-13 @ 08:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    27,254

    Re: Are Teacher Unions a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Such a hollow and ill-conceived argument.

    Save the "your against education" sound bites for people who were born yesterday.
    If you cannot explain how you would address our public education goals without funding, than your argument is the hollow, ill-conceived one.
    Treat the earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. ~ Ancient American Indian Proverb

  8. #208
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Are Teacher Unions a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lightdemon View Post
    Sorry, typed too fast. I meant 1-2 years of training in the profession. Training like the credential that I hold in order for me to be a teacher. Like a license that a real estate agent holds.

    EDIT: and I didn't see any specific jobs. All of them are based on majors.
    A lot of these people are required to have Bachelor degree before they can even get an interview.

    Average Salaries - Job Descriptions - Average Job Salaries - PayScale

    Not to mention their own special certifications for each different job.
    Accountants need certs, some Admin asst. need specific computer certs.

    Trust me it's not just teachers.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  9. #209
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    04-02-15 @ 06:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,211

    Re: Are Teacher Unions a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Catawba View Post
    If you cannot explain how you would address our public education goals without funding, than your argument is the hollow, ill-conceived one.
    Except we're not talking about funding public education. We're talking about labor laws that hamstring taxpayers and favor teacher's unions.

  10. #210
    The Image b4 Transition
    Lightdemon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    beneath the surface
    Last Seen
    05-31-12 @ 02:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,829

    Re: Are Teacher Unions a good thing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    A lot of people want to be teachers, supply vs demand.
    The early childhood education majors are everywhere in my state college.
    Not sure why I didn't see this earlier...but I'll respond to it now.


    You may be right about a lot of people wanting to become teachers, but the fact is that there aren't enough teachers in the market because many teachers give up after 5 years or less. 50% of new teachers will leave their careers in less than 5 years. You're notion of supply v. demand is inaccurate.

    The low pay that teachers get is not because demand isn't high enough, it's the fact that we are under budgeted by the state and fed.
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahBill View Post
    Let the public school provide the basics, you as the parent can do the fine tuning.

Page 21 of 30 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •