View Poll Results: Is Mexico The Land of America?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 25.00%
  • No

    12 60.00%
  • Other

    3 15.00%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 52

Thread: Is Mexico The Land of America?

  1. #21
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
    I do belive that the sooner we "annex" Mexico, and Cuba, the better.
    Why would that be?

  2. #22
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    That is the only reason we didn't keep the land when we won the Mexican-American War?

    I disagree, politicians were the primary reason. If we had conquered Mexico back then, the Southern Slave States would have had considerably more power in the Senate, enough to do what they wanted politically. That would have changed history, for the worse.
    Or for the better, depending on which side of the Mason Dixon line one was on.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  3. #23
    Professor
    OxymoronP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heart in Brooklyn, body South of Dixie
    Last Seen
    08-23-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    That is the only reason we didn't keep the land when we won the Mexican-American War?

    I disagree, politicians were the primary reason. If we had conquered Mexico back then, the Southern Slave States would have had considerably more power in the Senate, enough to do what they wanted politically. That would have changed history, for the worse.
    Well your right, that was also a concern.


    THE GREATEST FREEDOM IS THE FREEDOM TO OPPRESS OTHERS

  4. #24
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Why would that be?
    Simple really. with proper development, using the local Peoples, those Countries could be great money makers for all involved. There would be no need for them to come here, when they could prosper at home. Just bring them into the fold as it were.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  5. #25
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    Quote Originally Posted by other View Post
    It was not because of sectional issues between north and south that the US didn't conquer all of mexico...those came later, as a result.

    We did, after all accept the mexican cession, which was a huge chunk of land mostly south of the 36/30 parallel (of the missouri comp.).
    After 1820, sectionalism dominated American politics. We accepted the Mexican Cession to a certain point. Had we wanted we could easily have gone ahead and conquered all of Mexico. The reason we didn't, was because there were brilliant politicians back then who would have seen the fatal shift in political power to the South.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  6. #26
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
    Simple really. with proper development, using the local Peoples, those Countries could be great money makers for all involved. There would be no need for them to come here, when they could prosper at home. Just bring them into the fold as it were.
    Success is far from guaranteed, for example Afghanistan and Iraq will likely never have a decent government, no matter what we do in those areas.

  7. #27
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    Quote Originally Posted by megaprogman View Post
    Success is far from guaranteed, for example Afghanistan and Iraq will likely never have a decent government, no matter what we do in those areas.
    I agree about the desert Folks. they have never had a stable gubment, and it is not for me to say they ever should. they have been around a long time. Much longer than us. who is to say a tribal People actually need a central gubment to dictate to them?---I sure don't need one in my personal life. I'm in favor of much less gubment intervention period. I feel they create more problems than they correct.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  8. #28
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    This thread makes about as much sense as the "Burn all books because" one.

  9. #29
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    After 1820, sectionalism dominated American politics. We accepted the Mexican Cession to a certain point. Had we wanted we could easily have gone ahead and conquered all of Mexico. The reason we didn't, was because there were brilliant politicians back then who would have seen the fatal shift in political power to the South.
    To a certain point? We made it part of the united states (you know, arizona, nevada, new mexico, etc)... that's full on acceptance.

    We could have conquered mexico...well, we actually did. We took mexico city, and then the treaty guadalope hidalgo was negotiated independently of orders by president polk (see the envoy, Nicholas Trist [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Trist]Nicholas Trist - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]), who had tried to recall him. Essentially, in exchange for the mexican cession, we gave the rest of mexico back.

    Sectionalism played a role, but Trist acted on his own, and it wasn't a dominant issue until after the mexican cession. Polk was expansionist, but was more interested in cuba and acquiring the pacific NW from the Brits than taking all of mexico.
    Last edited by other; 01-30-10 at 08:59 PM.

  10. #30
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    Texas took our part away from the Mexicans. "Remember the Alamo"
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •