View Poll Results: Is Mexico The Land of America?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 25.00%
  • No

    12 60.00%
  • Other

    3 15.00%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 52

Thread: Is Mexico The Land of America?

  1. #11
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    Does anyone have a clue what this means?

    Further explanation, por favor.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #12
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    I think you might be referring to when we were in the Mexican-American War (1846-1848), and we captured Mexico City, and took the land to the west of Texas, including California, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, etc.

    I remember in history talking about why we didn't in fact go on ahead, and conquer the rest of Mexico, and annex them. It was right before the Civil War (1861-1865), and the politicians decided to not, because of the sectionalist struggle in Washington. If we had decided to go on ahead and conquer Mexico, all that land would legally have been slave territory, as per the Missour Compromise of 1820. Now, given that there was building tension between the North and the South, it was decided to not follow up on our success west of Texas, and in Mexico City, and to stop the war.

    Everything in the time period was about maintaining the balance between the North and the South in the Senate. Any attempt to break the balance gotanother compromise made. Example: Kansas-Nebraska Act, and Compromise of 1850.

    If that is what you are referring to, as in should the US claim Mexico...

    Militarily we could anytime we so wished, and there is no longer a political struggle in our country, but if we did so, there would be alarms going on all over the world. Basically, we should not claim mexico as ours, and we should not attempt to make them ours.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  3. #13
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    Lavender, with yellow stripes.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  4. #14
    Guru
    Crunch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Last Seen
    12-21-10 @ 05:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,063

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    I think you might be referring to when we were in the Mexican-American War (1846-1848), and we captured Mexico City, and took the land to the west of Texas, including California, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, etc.

    I remember in history talking about why we didn't in fact go on ahead, and conquer the rest of Mexico, and annex them. It was right before the Civil War (1861-1865), and the politicians decided to not, because of the sectionalist struggle in Washington. If we had decided to go on ahead and conquer Mexico, all that land would legally have been slave territory, as per the Missour Compromise of 1820. Now, given that there was building tension between the North and the South, it was decided to not follow up on our success west of Texas, and in Mexico City, and to stop the war.

    Everything in the time period was about maintaining the balance between the North and the South in the Senate. Any attempt to break the balance gotanother compromise made. Example: Kansas-Nebraska Act, and Compromise of 1850.

    If that is what you are referring to, as in should the US claim Mexico...
    I think you may be on to something here.

    Militarily we could anytime we so wished, and there is no longer a political struggle in our country, but if we did so, there would be alarms going on all over the world. Basically, we should not claim mexico as ours, and we should not attempt to make them ours.
    At this point in history, you could say the same about any country in the world..... or possibly the whole world at the same time, but who would want it?
    There is no such thing as a “Natural Born Dual-Citizen“.

    Originally Posted by PogueMoran
    I didnt have to read the article to tell you that you cant read.

  5. #15
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,190

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
    Lavender, with yellow stripes.
    Which reply actually makes at least as much sense as the original post.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  6. #16
    Guru
    Skateguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston/Heights
    Last Seen
    02-07-12 @ 08:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,571

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    I do belive that the sooner we "annex" Mexico, and Cuba, the better.
    "Don't be particular bout nothin, but the company you keep"

  7. #17
    Professor
    OxymoronP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Heart in Brooklyn, body South of Dixie
    Last Seen
    08-23-10 @ 11:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    2,175

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    As opposed to the land North of the Rio Grande, the area south was populated by large numbers of non white Mexicans. That is the only reason we didnt keep the land. If we would have fought Canada, then we would have at least another 15 states.


    THE GREATEST FREEDOM IS THE FREEDOM TO OPPRESS OTHERS

  8. #18
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    Quote Originally Posted by OxymoronP View Post
    As opposed to the land North of the Rio Grande, the area south was populated by large numbers of non white Mexicans. That is the only reason we didnt keep the land. If we would have fought Canada, then we would have at least another 15 states.
    That is the only reason we didn't keep the land when we won the Mexican-American War?

    I disagree, politicians were the primary reason. If we had conquered Mexico back then, the Southern Slave States would have had considerably more power in the Senate, enough to do what they wanted politically. That would have changed history, for the worse.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  9. #19
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    Quote Originally Posted by Skateguy View Post
    I do belive that the sooner we "annex" Mexico, and Cuba, the better.
    We very well cannot, because of the political backlash that would ensue. We've already had a war for Mexico (Mexican-American) and for Cuba (Spanish-American). If we didn't take them then, when we easily could have, then I think its better to leave things the way they are now.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  10. #20
    Professor
    other's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    VA
    Last Seen
    01-22-14 @ 11:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    1,473

    Re: Is Mexico The Land of America?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    That is the only reason we didn't keep the land when we won the Mexican-American War?

    I disagree, politicians were the primary reason. If we had conquered Mexico back then, the Southern Slave States would have had considerably more power in the Senate, enough to do what they wanted politically. That would have changed history, for the worse.
    It was not because of sectional issues between north and south that the US didn't conquer all of mexico...those came later, as a result.

    We did, after all accept the mexican cession, which was a huge chunk of land mostly south of the 36/30 parallel (of the missouri comp.).
    Last edited by other; 01-30-10 at 08:30 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •