View Poll Results: Should home-schooling be illegal?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 9.18%
  • No

    83 84.69%
  • maye/other

    6 6.12%
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 147

Thread: Should home-schooling be illegal?

  1. #81
    Stigmatized! End R Word! Kali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Last Seen
    08-19-12 @ 12:29 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    13,334
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    I wish to tell some folks in this thread that you can find non religious home school curriculum. It is out there because I have an atheist friend that does the home school thing.
    ~Following My Own Flow~

  2. #82
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kali View Post
    I wish to tell some folks in this thread that you can find non religious home school curriculum. It is out there because I have an atheist friend that does the home school thing.
    The core curriculum we use is non religious.

    Homeschool Curriculum | Homeschooling | Calvert School

    Although I do believe in a lot of unschooling concepts and we allow our son to free form learn.
    We also do some guided projects where he is to practice/test/experiment things with supervision.
    Last edited by Harry Guerrilla; 01-30-10 at 02:10 AM.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

  3. #83
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    It sounds like you are more concerned with religious indoctrination than anything else.

    Raising a child to follow your religious beliefs is fine. Most home schooled children have no issues.
    Actually I'm not, I'm much more concerned about other social prejudices, but with respect, you seem to be defending the religious aspect rather more than appears necessary.

    I would not presume to comment upon anyone's spiritual beliefs, and that includes fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalist Muslims. But I am aware of the damage that any form of extremism can wreak upon society, and especially upon the psyche of a small child.

    So I will repeat that I consider it unhealthy for parental beliefs to be the primary exposure to society's values for children. There needs to be a balance, no matter how soundly based we may believe our value systems to be. That balance is often best provided by frequent interaction with the world outside the nuclear family.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    My daughter was sent to a Catholic school all her life, and she is a Christian like I and my wife. So I guess our indoctrination worked.
    I guess it did. You may very well consider that a good thing; I could not possibly comment.

  4. #84
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Fair enough, but even surprise would necessitate a claim of being tolerant or otherwise.
    Had nothing to do with it?

    I said "It is amazing to me how people who say they are tolerant are so intolerant." - Blackdog

    Notice how it is generic and not directed at anyone in particular? It is about the thread, not you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    My statement was to the effect that minimal contact with society outside the home could be detrimental to the child's social development, I did not address the issue of minimal contact with parents (which would be quite impractical anyway, in the nuclear family environment).
    "I am saying that it is easy for parents to pass their prejudices, religious or otherwise, on to children, and if those children have minimal interaction outside the home, then there is little influence to counter what amounts to indoctrination." - Leo

    Could have fooled me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    With respect, that is a matter of opinion, and indeed dependent upon the society in which one lives.
    "Obviously I am not talking about values like fairness, decency, and tolerance. These are values supported by society in general, and interaction with other elements of society will only reinforce them." - Leo

    Then please point out this wonderful society you speak of?



    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    That is quite true, but the individual values (and prejudices) of all parents are not necessarily beneficial to society should they be perpetuated in this way. A balance between parental values, and those of the wider society, is far more useful in the development of a child.
    Maybe in a socialist or communistic society where the value of the individual is not worth much. It does not "take a village."

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I have never set out to do so. I may not consider it preferable to good public schooling, largely because few parents are sufficiently qualified to instruct their children in the range of disciplines necessary, but I am always reticent to deem a thing illegal. We have sufficient redundant laws on our statute books as it is.
    Are you talking about the US or Australia?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #85
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Actually I'm not, I'm much more concerned about other social prejudices, but with respect, you seem to be defending the religious aspect rather more than appears necessary.
    Your first post...

    "I also want to point out that parents should not be the sole arbiters of their childrens' welfare. Certain standards as to religious indoctrination, societal prejudice and other subtle forms of abuse must be met. We are already far too subject to the prejudices of our parents." - Leo

    Your third post...

    "Like I'm not sure I agree with home schooling being illegal, but I think kids get a lot of religious and social prejudice that way." - Leo

    Your fourth post...

    "I am saying that it is easy for parents to pass their prejudices, religious or otherwise, on to children, and if those children have minimal interaction outside the home, then there is little influence to counter what amounts to indoctrination." - Leo

    Your sixth post...

    "I feel sure it would be better for children to be educated at schools like that, than to depend upon a parent who is unlikely to be qualified sufficiently in the entire range of subjects required. And this leaves aside any question of religious indoctrination, or any other prejudice." - Leo

    So 4 out of your 5 or 6 posts say different.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I would not presume to comment upon anyone's spiritual beliefs, and that includes fundamentalist Christians and fundamentalist Muslims.
    And yet you are about to AGAIN.

    Why did you feel the need to include Muslims and Christians in that statement? If you had said "I would not presume to comment upon anyone's spiritual beliefs" and left it at that, would it have had less hitting power or something?

    You now have 5 out of your 6 or 7 posts mentioned religion as part of the problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    But I am aware of the damage that any form of extremism can wreak upon society, and especially upon the psyche of a small child.
    I guess you are an expert on child psychology and the effects of extremest and fundamentalist religions on children throughout the world?

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    So I will repeat that I consider it unhealthy for parental beliefs to be the primary exposure to society's values for children. There needs to be a balance, no matter how soundly based we may believe our value systems to be. That balance is often best provided by frequent interaction with the world outside the nuclear family.
    I am certain most socialists and communists dictators past and present would absolutely agree with you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    I guess it did. You may very well consider that a good thing; I could not possibly comment.
    You don't have to. The anti-religion bigotry gave itself away from the first post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #86
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Our founders did okay with it.
    So? Re-read my post.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  7. #87
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Guerrilla View Post
    That is just plain wrong, ignorance is high in this thread.
    Most of these guys were generals, statesmen, business owners, et all.
    How in the hell do you think that is "simple?"
    That may be true, but you must admit that back then, there was far less information that was required to be successful, or even be functioning. This is a very different time.

    I'm willing to bet most of the detractors are of a government "education."
    And I'm willing to bet that most of the supporters are not. So what?
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  8. #88
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    You don't have to. The anti-religion bigotry gave itself away from the first post.
    What you call bigotry, others may term valid concerns. Of course I am concerned about religious indoctrination, as well as other forms. Religion has been the cause of more bloodshed in history than any other element.

    But your comments in your last posts lead me to believe that little will be gained in discussing this matter further with you, so perhaps it would be best if we were to agree to disagree. I am not saying you are wrong in your beliefs, but I am not interested in a adversarial religious debate. Little other than ill-feeling will come of that.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-04-10 @ 04:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,289

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Good morning Mon Capitan, can you make up a saying from the words pearls, before, swine and casting

  10. #90
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    That may be true, but you must admit that back then, there was far less information that was required to be successful, or even be functioning. This is a very different time.
    I don't agree. I think the only real difference is the rate of information thrown at us today.

    I mean lets face it, the village idiot is alive and well in the US and the rest of the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    And I'm willing to bet that most of the supporters are not. So what?
    Don't agree with that either. I would say most of the people in this thread are probably public school graduates. Not that this makes any difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •