View Poll Results: Should home-schooling be illegal?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 9.18%
  • No

    83 84.69%
  • maye/other

    6 6.12%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 147

Thread: Should home-schooling be illegal?

  1. #11
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Ludricrious to think that the Germens are going to change their stance just because they lost one citizen.
    Their loss is our gain??
    I happen to think that the Germans are closer to being right than we are.
    Generally home-schooling is NOT the best thing for the children. But it may be for the so-called adults who place their needs in front of their children.

  2. #12
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
    Ludricrious to think that the Germens are going to change their stance just because they lost one citizen.
    Their loss is our gain??
    I happen to think that the Germans are closer to being right than we are.
    Generally home-schooling is NOT the best thing for the children. But it may be for the so-called adults who place their needs in front of their children.
    Homeschoolers generally do better than public school educated kids, how can you say it is not the best thing for children? IF home schooled gets did lousy when compared to public schooled kids then you might have something to base that comment on.
    HSLDA | Homeschooled Students Excel in College

    Homeschoolers score higher than 86% of peers

    HSLDA | HOMESCHOOLERS SCORE HIGHER ON ACT COLLEGE ENTRANCE EXAM
    Last edited by jamesrage; 01-28-10 at 11:26 PM.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  3. #13
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,759

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Does this mean you support Sharia law? Obviously if you support these people taking control of their own education then you should have no problem with Muslims controlling their own marriages? No. I'd rather home schooling be made illegal. It is nothing more than double talk for being religiously backwards. This family is nothing new. Their fears of "persecution" is a smokescreen for wanting to teach their kids religious nonsense in the place of actual knowledge. If they want to do that in their churches that is fine but if they live in a secular society like ours their children should go to our schools.
    Although I agree that a large percentage of home-schooling is done for religious reasons, this is NOT always the case. Some folks do it because they do not like the public education system, some do it because it's a way to have more control over what is taught and how. I'm not a fan, but it's not always about religious fundamentalism.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #14
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,076

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Although I agree that a large percentage of home-schooling is done for religious reasons, this is NOT always the case. Some folks do it because they do not like the public education system, some do it because it's a way to have more control over what is taught and how. I'm not a fan, but it's not always about religious fundamentalism.
    Though I agree with you, I think in the overwhelming majority of cases - I would even venture to guess somewhere above 95% - it really is about religious fundamentalism. Why is it that very few prominent liberals see merit in home schooling? Because it is simply a smokescreen for the true intentions of most of the people who support it. Our society has worked very hard to remove religious teaching from the collective education of its children and that is the way it should be. I have no problem with catholic schools and private religious schools. But that is only because they are put to the same standards of teaching as everyone else. I can say the same for home schoolers. The fact that our government has allowed this nonsense is a serious problem.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #15
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Although I agree that a large percentage of home-schooling is done for religious reasons, this is NOT always the case. Some folks do it because they do not like the public education system, some do it because it's a way to have more control over what is taught and how. I'm not a fan, but it's not always about religious fundamentalism.
    The people I know who homeschool do so, not because of religion, but because they want to be highly involved in their childrens' education, and they see scholastic failure and social decay in the public school systems. If they like me enough to be friends, they are not likely to be religious fanatics. My irreverence tends to scare the really religious ones away.

  6. #16
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,990

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    I was homes schooled and now I'm in college with an academic scholarship. Home schooling is a wonderful thing and I strongly support any family that would choose to do so. Home schoolers still have friends, they aren't odd and most of them are very smart. Besides, the public education system is failing and flawed as it is. There is no good reason to outlaw home schooling, many of our founding fathers were home schooled

  7. #17
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    The fact that our government has allowed this nonsense is a serious problem.
    If it is nonsense then why do homeschooled kids do better than public schooled kids?
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #18
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Though I agree with you, I think in the overwhelming majority of cases - I would even venture to guess somewhere above 95% - it really is about religious fundamentalism.
    Why? My cousins were homeschooled because their local schools sucked. I suspect many people are the same.


    Even if you are right - have you read the 1st Amendment? We have freedom of religion in this country, whether you like it or not. To try to stop parents from having control of the kind of education their kids can get just so that you can try to diminish a particular religion you do not like is inherently fascistic.
    Last edited by Dav; 01-28-10 at 11:48 PM.

  9. #19
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Though I agree with you, I think in the overwhelming majority of cases - I would even venture to guess somewhere above 95% - it really is about religious fundamentalism. Why is it that very few prominent liberals see merit in home schooling? Because it is simply a smokescreen for the true intentions of most of the people who support it. Our society has worked very hard to remove religious teaching from the collective education of its children and that is the way it should be. I have no problem with catholic schools and private religious schools. But that is only because they are put to the same standards of teaching as everyone else. I can say the same for home schoolers. The fact that our government has allowed this nonsense is a serious problem.
    How does homeschooling have different standards than private/public schools? As long as the kids follow legal guidelines for schooling and pass the standardized tests, what difference does it make?

  10. #20
    Devourer of Poor Children
    DrunkenAsparagus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    DC
    Last Seen
    01-20-16 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,496

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Does this mean you support Sharia law? Obviously if you support these people taking control of their own education then you should have no problem with Muslims controlling their own marriages? No. I'd rather home schooling be made illegal. It is nothing more than double talk for being religiously backwards. This family is nothing new. Their fears of "persecution" is a smokescreen for wanting to teach their kids religious nonsense in the place of actual knowledge. If they want to do that in their churches that is fine but if they live in a secular society like ours their children should go to our schools.
    And this makes it your business or the government's because...
    "Doubleplusungood"

    George Orwell

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •