View Poll Results: Should home-schooling be illegal?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 9.18%
  • No

    83 84.69%
  • maye/other

    6 6.12%
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
Results 141 to 147 of 147

Thread: Should home-schooling be illegal?

  1. #141
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    What's wrong with being bigoted and intolerant
    Hautey has made it her personal vendetta to oppose bigotry and intolerance.

  2. #142
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    I guess if a Muslim couple wants to homeschool their kid and teach them that Allah commanded them to kill the infidels, we should allow that because being "intolerant" is worse than teaching a kid to be a terrorist. **** tolerance.
    News for you bub... if the parents want to teach this, they dont need to have their kids schooled at home to do it.

  3. #143
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Goobieman View Post
    News for you bub... if the parents want to teach this, they dont need to have their kids schooled at home to do it.
    And it should be allowed because restricting it = "religious discrimination"?

  4. #144
    Banned Goobieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Last Seen
    03-22-15 @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    17,343

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    And it should be allowed because restricting it = "religious discrimination"?
    Here's the thing about a free society:
    You can hold whatever thoughts you want.
    Its when you -do- something with those thoughts that you cross the line.

  5. #145
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    Since when do Voodoo practitioners have the legal freedom to practice human cannibalism? Or when do Rastafarians have the legal right to smoke weed?
    Fallacy in the extreme. You try to compare weed smoking because of religion with cannibalism?

    Please.

    Religion in America is free to practice until it infringes on the rights of someone else.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    I guess banning weed and human cannibalism is "fascism" and "religious discrimination" by your standard since "some religions" consider those legitimate practices.
    This is just a red herring.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    You don't want "freedom of religion". You just want YOUR cult...err religion to enjoy special rights that others' don't get, and when people agree that you're stupid for it, you whine like a 2 year old about "fascism".
    Ad Hom's are against the rules. They also show a complete and utter lack of anything to back up your argument.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    I don't have the right to teach my kid that Zeus causes thunderstorms instead of natural processes, and have that counted towards a "science" credit. So why should cultists who believe in talking snakes and magical fruit be allowed to have that credited as a "science" course?
    Actually you do have that right. Of course when they get older and see you are a complete idiot, this will probably change.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    I guess you're the kind of guy who thinks that a radical Muslim cleric teaching kids in an Islamic school to hate the infidels and praise the 9/11 hijackers is "hunkie dorie", but someone actually speaking out against that is a fascist.
    Not really. Preaching violence and preaching creationism are do very different things.

    That is a really dumb argument you got there.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    No surprise. You're spouting the same propaganda that Hitler and the Nazi party did before they got into power.
    Yea, because Hitler was all about freedom.

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    And based on your definition, I guess "fascism" isn't necessarily a bad thing then. I think I'll join the American Fascist Party (oh wait, they're Christian).

    No they are not.

    Why don't you research before spouting nonsense...

    http://www.americanfascistmovement.com/platform.html
    Last edited by Black Dog; 02-03-10 at 06:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #146
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    I homeschooled my oldest for 6 months - not because I had a problem with public school - but because they could only help him to a certain extent with his developmental issues.

    Not saying that they didn't help out alot - but he had other problems that needed attention and schools don't and can't provide that - he was suffering.

    Homeschooling him was difficult but it helped get him back on track with those other issues.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  7. #147
    User filfilksq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    United Arab Emirates
    Last Seen
    05-27-10 @ 09:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    37

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    I homeschool my kids, so obviously I don't think it should be illegal. I would be fine with having more oversight, as it is each state decides how much oversight and that ranges from none to super-intense. I could see, for example, requiring homeschooled kids to take a national exam once a year at an approved testing center. There's a lot of heated debate in the homeschool forums I frequent on this issue, most lobby for less or no oversight, but I've heard too many stories of kids who are supposedly "homeschooled" but in fact are just neglected.

    But I am not really on board with granting asylum in this specific case. I think that's a different issue altogether.
    Kate

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •