View Poll Results: Should home-schooling be illegal?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 9.18%
  • No

    83 84.69%
  • maye/other

    6 6.12%
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 147

Thread: Should home-schooling be illegal?

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    02-16-11 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    36,915
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Does this mean you support Sharia law? Obviously if you support these people taking control of their own education then you should have no problem with Muslims controlling their own marriages? No. I'd rather home schooling be made illegal. It is nothing more than double talk for being religiously backwards. This family is nothing new. Their fears of "persecution" is a smokescreen for wanting to teach their kids religious nonsense in the place of actual knowledge. If they want to do that in their churches that is fine but if they live in a secular society like ours their children should go to our schools.
    That's ridiculous. Nothing here indicates that religious instruction is replacing academic instruction.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Last Seen
    07-07-16 @ 08:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    2,854

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    What's wrong with parents having a right to choose the kind of education they want for their children? If a parent is qualified and wants to home school, why should that be the government's business? Our public schools are pretty much failures. A little more learnig and a lot less socializing would be a good thing. They can do that AFTER school along with the home schooled kids.
    I'm for Charter schools too, but that's just another choice that should be made by the parents.
    Some parents would take care of their kids in a very good way. They will make sure they socialize with other kids in the area, but some won't. Some kids will just end up staying at home, doing very little. and don't get their social skills up. I'm not living in the US today, but where I previously lived, you would have a hard time being home-schooled, because most of the socializing was going through school. If you wanted to do sports, then you would need to participate in school sports. Also, the kids got most of their friends through school.

    However, I'm not against home-schooling or think that it should be illegal, but it should be restricted.

    However, what we should do is to improve schools in the U.S. and give students options. Some of the changes I would do to the schools in the U.S.
    - Direct more focus on learning and less on homework. Many students use very little time to actually learn the material, but focus only on doing the homework. Just make homework count less and tests more, and make tests harder.
    - Let students compete against each other to get into high school, and allow them free choice of schools, maybe even in the whole U.S. as long they can show that they are able to attend the school.
    - Destroy the teacher unions, because unions prevent bad teachers for getting fired and they are pretty much against every single good proposal. Why shouldn't good teachers get a better pay than bad teachers?

    This would improve the U.S. education system considerably. U.S. would do a lot better in the PISA survey and I also believe income differences would be smaller, because student from poor districts can now compete their way up to good schools around in the U.S instead of attending some horrible ghetto school.
    Last edited by Camlon; 02-02-10 at 01:31 PM.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Should home-schooling be illegal? Yes no or maybe/other?







    Home-schoolers win asylum in U.S. - Washington Times

    A U.S. immigration judge's decision to grant political asylum to a German family with "a well-founded fear of persecution" for home-schooling their children should send a powerful message to the German government to change its stance on home schooling, the family's attorney said Wednesday.

    "Home-schoolers are not a threat to German society," said Michael Donnelly, one of the Home School Legal Defense Association's team of lawyers representing Uwe Romeike; his wife, Hannelore; and their five children.

    Home schooling in Germany is illegal in most cases, and violators can be fined, jailed and even lose custody of their children. Mr. Donnelly said the German government has decided home-schoolers are "trying to create a parallel society" that must be "stamped out."

    The Romeikes home-schooled their children in Germany and received fines totaling $10,000. On one occasion, Mr. Donnelly said, police hauled their children off to school. In 2006, the Romeikes emigrated to Tennessee and continued home schooling their children. Mr. Donnelly said the family applied for political asylum within three months of arriving in the U.S.

    Immigration Judge Lawrence O. Burman in Tennessee granted asylum to the Romeikes during a conference-call hearing Tuesday, as is typical in immigration cases. A written ruling is expected to follow, but was not available Wednesday evening.
    Homeschooling definitely shouldn't be illegal. Not all homeschoolers are brainwashed religious cult wackos.

    However teaching your kid fairy tales and Christian cult propaganda in a "science" course and having it counted as a "science credit" should definitely be illegal. The same goes with socially isolating your children. I think this should be considered child abuse and worthy of prosecution and/or losing your kids.

    I also think that homeschool should be more strictly regulated and require parents to have credentials and experience in education. Homeschooling for "religious reasons" should be illegal.

    But homeschooling in general? Nope. What about parents of, say, mentally disabled children who can't function in a normal school environment? I think that would definitely be a good reason.

    Homeschool gets an unfairly bad rap because it's been bastardized by fundie cultists to the point that people automatically assume that all homeschooled kids are brainwashed fundie cultists. That's not true.

  4. #124
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,488

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    Homeschooling definitely shouldn't be illegal. Not all homeschoolers are brainwashed religious cult wackos.

    However teaching your kid fairy tales and Christian cult propaganda in a "science" course and having it counted as a "science credit" should definitely be illegal. The same goes with socially isolating your children. I think this should be considered child abuse and worthy of prosecution and/or losing your kids.

    I also think that homeschool should be more strictly regulated and require parents to have credentials and experience in education. Homeschooling for "religious reasons" should be illegal.

    But homeschooling in general? Nope. What about parents of, say, mentally disabled children who can't function in a normal school environment? I think that would definitely be a good reason.

    Homeschool gets an unfairly bad rap because it's been bastardized by fundie cultists to the point that people automatically assume that all homeschooled kids are brainwashed fundie cultists. That's not true.
    Fascism is alive and well and living in the US. Yea!

    Freedom for everyone except the religious! A wonderful dream for America!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Fascism is alive and well and living in the US. Yea!
    Hell yeah. Poor kids get brainwashed by wacko religious cultists everyday, just like the Hitler Youth kids did. Yet that kind of abuse and (dis)education gets a free pass under the guise of "freedom of religion".

    BTW,

    Last edited by Toothpicvic; 02-03-10 at 01:40 AM.

  6. #126
    Comrade from Canuckistan! AgentM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    British Columbia
    Last Seen
    02-17-11 @ 03:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    995

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Homeschooling certainly shouldn't be illegal. However, I think some parents do homeschooling for the wrong reasons. Some do it because they want to isolate their kids from the "evil liberal" teachings of the modern education system, or they believe in Creationism so strongly that they can't stand the thought of their kids being taught about evolution. In short, some parents do it because they want to keep their kids in a cloistered, isolated, tightly controlled environment. I think that's wrong. However, homeschooling in general isn't a bad thing, and I don't think most parents who homeschool are necessarily like that.
    "When you're born you get a ticket to the freak show. I say enjoy the show, don't take it seriously." - George Carlin

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Last Seen
    06-29-10 @ 11:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,801

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Freedom for everyone except the religious! A wonderful dream for America!
    Cults aren't religions. I think that evilgelical Christianity should be officially classified as a cult and lose its protected religious status. It's just the American version of Sharia Islam - slightly less extreme, but completely depraved, corporatized, politicized, and totally anti-Christ and a joke of a religion. It's only about money and political power, and building an army of brainwashed cult zombies from an early age is a great way for these dirtbags to stay in power.

    And since when do kids who are brainwashed and abused by an evil cult have "freedom of religion"?

    Freedom for the oppressors to oppress the innocent! A wonderful dream for AmericKKKa! I'm pretty sure if the founders' had been born in the year 2000 they would have made an exception to the 1st Amendment to exclude radical cultists from getting any special rights that normal people don't get.
    Last edited by Toothpicvic; 02-03-10 at 01:49 AM.

  8. #128
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,488

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Freedom for everyone except the religious! A wonderful dream for America!

    It is also Fascism, plain and simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #129
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,488

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Toothpicvic View Post
    Cults aren't religions. I think that evilgelical Christianity should be officially classified as a cult and lose its protected religious status. It's just the American version of Sharia Islam - slightly less extreme, but completely depraved, corporatized, politicized, and totally anti-Christ and a joke of a religion. It's only about money and political power, and building an army of brainwashed cult zombies from an early age is a great way for these dirtbags to stay in power.

    And since when do kids who are brainwashed and abused by an evil cult have "freedom of religion"?

    Freedom for the oppressors to oppress the innocent! A wonderful dream for AmericKKKa! I'm pretty sure if the founders' had been born in the year 2000 they would have made an exception to the 1st Amendment to exclude radical cultists from getting any special rights that normal people don't get.
    Every religion on the face of the planet can just about be called a cult under the true definition.

    So that argument is pretty weak as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  10. #130
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,148

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Freedom for everyone except the religious! A wonderful dream for America!

    It is also Fascism, plain and simple.
    In what way?

    Religion itself in America has a neo-fascist component.


    " Neo-fascism and religion refers to debates about the relationships between neo-fascism and various religions.
    Some scholars, using the term neo-fascism in its narrow sense, consider certain contemporary religious movements and groups to represent forms of clerical or theocratic neofascism, including Christian Identity in the United States; some militant forms of politicized Islamic fundamentalism; Hindu nationalism in India (Sangh Parivar); and some neopagan alternative religions advocating white supremacism. .... "

    Wiki
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •