View Poll Results: Should home-schooling be illegal?

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    9 9.18%
  • No

    83 84.69%
  • maye/other

    6 6.12%
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 147

Thread: Should home-schooling be illegal?

  1. #111
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,516

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by B L Zeebub View Post
    how would you know?
    Because you told me?

    "BlackDog mate, there is a poster , he was banned from PF for his religious bigotry and vile Homophobic statements.

    He converted To Islam, prior to his conversion he claimed he was a Fundy homophobic Christian Sunday school teacher.

    He now home schools his new family as a Fundy homophobic Muslim bigot.

    How many from either camp are out there legally poisoning there children's minds.
    - B L Zeebub

    It is not a crime to be...

    #1 A Fundy
    #2 A Homophobe
    #3 A Muslim
    #4 A bigot

    We don't arrest people for thought crime.

    So as I said, it's not "don't ask don't tell" it is not illegal, and none of your business.
    Last edited by Black Dog; 01-31-10 at 01:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  2. #112
    Sage
    Barbbtx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    W'Ford TX
    Last Seen
    11-10-12 @ 08:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,467

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
    I don't think it should be illigal, but I'm no fan of it. Kids needs to socialice with other kids. School is a good place for kids to develop social skills. However, instead we should open for more charter schools and allow them to pick any school in their state if their grades are good enough, so the kids have alternatives and schools need to compete.
    What's wrong with parents having a right to choose the kind of education they want for their children? If a parent is qualified and wants to home school, why should that be the government's business? Our public schools are pretty much failures. A little more learnig and a lot less socializing would be a good thing. They can do that AFTER school along with the home schooled kids.
    I'm for Charter schools too, but that's just another choice that should be made by the parents.

  3. #113
    Professor
    Leo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 02:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,674

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Agree completely.

    After all, socialism is a religion.
    If by Socialism you mean Communism, we are in complete agreement.
    I hate the idea of causes, and if I had to choose between betraying my country and betraying my friend, I hope I should have the guts to betray my country. E.M. Forster

  4. #114
    Baby Eating Monster
    Korimyr the Rat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Laramie, WY
    Last Seen
    11-23-17 @ 02:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    18,709
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Parents taught kids what they knew, that was it. Today, kids need to know things their parents just aren't equipped to teach, things that most parents just don't know.
    If most parents, having been educated in the public school system, don't know the material that you feel is essential that our children be taught isn't that a fairly compelling argument that our public school system doesn't teach that material adequately in the first place? After all, there isn't that much difference between the school curricula that my mother learned, that I learned, and that is being taught in the public schools today.

    After thirteen years of public school and two years of community college, I'm still primarily self-educated. Now, I'm not discounting the role my own social maladaption played in creating this state of affairs, but it still seems as though any halfway adequate parents could have done a better job.

    Quote Originally Posted by nonpareil View Post
    Honest truth is, if I can't afford to send my kids (if or when I have them) to a good school I can trust, I would rather teach them myself or at the least supplement their education at home.

    ...

    Being in 6th form and not be able to read properly, that's a really bad thing. When that happens, and I seen that often in the schools I volunteered, all the school does is blame the parents. And maybe it's the fault of the parents for not taking their children's education into their own hands.
    The reason that the public schools are necessary is that, indeed, not all parents are equipped to provide their children with a quality education, either through their own efforts or through their capacity to pay for a quality private education. I'd say that this means is that public schools should be only for the children of those parents; they're welfare schools. The fact that public school is the default assumption, employed by the majority of parents, indicates that something has gone horribly wrong.

    If public schooling is to be the norm, instead of part of the social safety net, then it needs to be considerably more robust.
    Last edited by Korimyr the Rat; 01-31-10 at 03:31 PM.

  5. #115
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by B L Zeebub View Post
    as an atheist who is ambivalent to people of faith, but has controlled contempt for organized religion.
    I believe a lot of Baptist homeschool; and by and large Baptists are not a "organized" religion. BTW one can belong to an organized religion and still distrust the organization.

    Quote Originally Posted by B L Zeebub View Post
    The quality education of our children should be the reason detre of any civilized society.
    I have no argument with you there. But here in the US it is mostly what some splinter groups ( Creationists, Relativist, Child Righters, and other group thinkers) want and what the teacher unions want (which is not the same thing a what the teachers want) along with the Pols (who like to stand before ribbons to be cut as opposed to setting non-visible standards that would be more important.) The problem with government schools is a blanket solution a one size fits all which modern Cognitive Theories show is wrong.


    Quote Originally Posted by B L Zeebub View Post
    This enables children to make lucid decisions, that is why I support the law of the land in the UK that all children in Government funded schools should have a set minimum number of hours of religious instruction a week.
    I need you to expand on this to understand what you mean.

    Quote Originally Posted by B L Zeebub View Post
    It is no surprise to me that after 40 or 50 yrs of this law, we have the lowest number of actively religious people in our country. I therefore as an Atheist hope you implement a similar laws in your country.
    Your county has a state religion. Ours do not. Yours probably require that all people who belong to an organized religion to Tithe and have proof of the Tithe to their church by the IRS (Inland Revenue Service ( I just knew that)). That would be an explanation of the lack of actively religious people in BG.

    And establishing a requirement for religious instruction in government schools is not going to happen in the US due to the 1st Amendment.

    Quote Originally Posted by B L Zeebub View Post
    BlackDog mate, there is a poster , he was banned from PF for his religious bigotry and vile Homophobic statements.

    He converted To Islam, prior to his conversion he claimed he was a Fundy homophobic Christian Sunday school teacher.

    He now home schools his new family as a Fundy homophobic Muslim bigot.


    How many from either camp are out there legally poisoning there children's minds.
    BlackDog said most of it for me. One could put that Fundy in a standard classroom and poison even more minds. Would you accept that as an acceptable reason to end government school instruction? If not, how is your argument one that shows homeschooling is detrimental in general?

    Quote Originally Posted by B L Zeebub View Post
    I don't disagree with homeschooling per se but the authorities must strictly regulate it, that probably does not happen because of costs.
    In what way? Passing standard achievement tests? Jame Rage already addressed that. Moral or Ethical standards? Child Endangerment, and Contributing Delinquency to a Minor laws address that. What more must be regulated to make it merely O.K. ?
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  6. #116
    Student pugetsoundwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-10-10 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    252

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post
    Agree completely.

    After all, socialism is a religion.
    How so? other then your warped opinion.

  7. #117
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  8. #118
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,595
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barbbtx View Post
    What's wrong with parents having a right to choose the kind of education they want for their children? If a parent is qualified and wants to home school, why should that be the government's business? Our public schools are pretty much failures. A little more learnig and a lot less socializing would be a good thing. They can do that AFTER school along with the home schooled kids.
    I'm for Charter schools too, but that's just another choice that should be made by the parents.
    Home schooling should not, must not, be illegal.
    But who determines if the parent is competent, and how?
    To do this, it must be our government's business.
    Note the "our", replacing "the"...its OUR government.
    Its simply not true that the schools are failures..
    But some are, and why is this?????

  9. #119
    Student pugetsoundwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-10-10 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    252

    fyi Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?


    So then I could call Reagonomics a religion of the far right. Reagan their savior and Nancy well, not a virgin by any means. I could also call Republo-Fascism another religion worshipped by todays far right..

  10. #120
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should home-schooling be illegal?

    Quote Originally Posted by pugetsoundwa View Post
    So then I could call Reagonomics a religion of the far right. Reagan their savior and Nancy well, not a virgin by any means. I could also call Republo-Fascism another religion worshipped by todays far right..
    Not all religions involve the belief in a deity.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •