View Poll Results: Is it any of the governments business what consenting adults do with each other?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    8 13.56%
  • No

    51 86.44%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 116

Thread: Whos business is it?

  1. #41
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Whos business is it?

    #1 I don't lie.
    I do. I don't trust people who don't lie. It unnatural.

    #2 I like to debate this is true. I don't like to debate issues riddled in nonsensical fallacy's right off the bat. It accomplishes nothing.
    Well, good luck on your quest to find internet debates not riddled with nonsensical fallacies. Let me know how that works out for you.

    #2 The influences of others or yourself do not apply. That is just an anecdotal blanket statement with you projecting to boot.
    Why do you have #2 twice? Shouldn't that really be #3? Just sayin'...

  2. #42
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Whos business is it?

    Perhaps.

    But for most people, there is a difference between interference by a government entity into two persons sexual activates and interference by a government entity into the same two persons financial activates.

    Despite any contention on your part that they are identical, most would disagree with you.
    Perhaps I should have spent more time in the grey area then. You agreed with me initially when I was talking about pokemon cards and casserole recipes. Pokemon cards are a type of capital.

    If two consenting adults both agree to an exchange whereby one consenting adult gets a very rare and valuable pokemon card in exchange for a very common card found in every starter deck, is that any of the government's business?

    Where exactly is the line? Is it just sex that people want government to stay away from? Should government have authority over every room in the house except the bedroom?

    What is the actually principal that people believe in? Is it "What two consenting adults choose to do with each other is no ones business but their own... unless of course they choose not to have sex"?

    I am genuinely baffled here. Why should my right to make my own decisions concerning my own life be restricted to sex? And how can anyone not see vast overlap between adults consenting to exchange fluids and adults consenting to exchange labour, capital, pokemon cards, casserole recipies or anything else?

    Well, it could be argued that it is indirectly her business in that, armed with information to the effect that the male is making more than her for the same production, she could make a case to you for a pay raise, or she’s going to quit and seek other employment.
    Ok, insofar as we assume that she already knows that the man is making $100k/yr, I agree that she can reasonably use that as part of an argument for higher pay. Do you believe she has a right to that knowledge though?

    I can agree with that.
    That's no fun. This isn't agreeaboutpolitics.com.

  3. #43
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,656

    Re: Whos business is it?

    Just speaking for myself here but I don't need the government to tell me what is gross and what is not. I come by it pretty naturally.

    Swapping fluids... eeeee-yew......

    But I suppose it's necessary.

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  4. #44
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Whos business is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    If two consenting adult males voluntarily agree to exchange fluids, is it any of the governments business?
    Depends on the fluid.

    EDIT: OxymoronP beat me to it on the first page.
    Last edited by Dav; 01-24-10 at 01:06 AM.

  5. #45
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,502

    Re: Whos business is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    I do. I don't trust people who don't lie. It unnatural.
    So you can't be trusted is all that says to me. I mean I am certain I do lie about things I don't realize I am lying about, but I don't lie on purpose.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Well, good luck on your quest to find internet debates not riddled with nonsensical fallacies. Let me know how that works out for you.
    Many abound here. Look around.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Why do you have #2 twice? Shouldn't that really be #3? Just sayin'...
    Typo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  6. #46
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Whos business is it?

    Only if one of them is consenting to be murdered by the other.

  7. #47
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Whos business is it?

    So you can't be trusted is all that says to me.
    No one can. Welcome to humanity.

    I mean I am certain I do lie about things I don't realize I am lying about, but I don't lie on purpose.
    So when you said you don't lie, you were actually lying, but didn't realize you were lying at the time? Thats ok. I forgive you.

    Many abound here. Look around.
    I'm a logic nazi. I see fallacies everywhere. Amazingly I have yet to see this logical fallacy which you insist is somewhere in my argument. Perhaps its because instead of actually pointing out a logical fallacy you simply assert pity for me for not being able to see it.

    Is there anything besides sex which occurs between consenting adults that you don't think is any of the governments business? Or should government control every room in the house but the bedroom?

    Where is this invisible line between mutual agreements betwixt consenting adults and mutual agreements betwixt consenting adults? The one just seems so much like the other to me.

    Typo?
    Are you asking me? Then yes. I believe it was in fact a typo. I just chose to point it out because I didn't have a better retort. It was kinda weaksauce for me. I'll try to do better next time.
    Last edited by Panache; 01-24-10 at 01:32 AM.

  8. #48
    Irrelevant Pissant

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    03-13-14 @ 07:55 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,194

    Re: Whos business is it?

    Only if one of them is consenting to be murdered by the other.
    I was saving euthanasia for later, but nice to see you thinking outside the box.

    So you don't believe that people should have the agency to determine when its time to cash in their chips and leave the table? Or you don't believe that they should be allowed to have help?

    This one isn't as fun as the others. The ending of a life is a pretty clear delineation. I am not sure I agree, but saying that people should be allowed to choose how they live, but not how they die is at least a somewhat rational argument.

    Saying that people should be allowed to choose how they live, so long as they choose to live in a way that you approve of, is not.

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Whos business is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    I was saving euthanasia for later, but nice to see you thinking outside the box.

    So you don't believe that people should have the agency to determine when its time to cash in their chips and leave the table? Or you don't believe that they should be allowed to have help?

    This one isn't as fun as the others. The ending of a life is a pretty clear delineation. I am not sure I agree, but saying that people should be allowed to choose how they live, but not how they die is at least a somewhat rational argument.

    Saying that people should be allowed to choose how they live, so long as they choose to live in a way that you approve of, is not.
    I believe that instances of euthanasia carry the risk that the subject is suffering from treatable mental illnesses and that a formal review of his overall physical health and state of mind should be conducted to determine if he is in fact of sound mind when making that decision, and that the possibility of charlatans making money off the extermination of treatable patients should be avoided.

    But, if the patient is indeed suffering from a chronic incurable illness that makes him decide that death is preferred over continued suffering or further inevitable degradation, by all means he should be allowed assistance in his self-termination.

    I am opposed to people like Jack Kervorkian killing people in the back of his van and claiming he helped them.

  10. #50
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,502

    Re: Whos business is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    No one can. Welcome to humanity.
    Not true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    So when you said you don't lie, you were actually lying, but didn't realize you were lying at the time? Thats ok. I forgive you.
    I don't on purpose. You can infer anything else you like, does not make it true.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    I'm a logic nazi. I see fallacies everywhere. Amazingly I have yet to see this logical fallacy which you insist is somewhere in my argument.
    I already pointed it out. You ignored it and cut it out of my reply to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Perhaps its because instead of actually pointing out a logical fallacy you simply assert pity for me for not being able to see it.
    See post above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Is there anything besides sex which occurs between consenting adults that you don't think is any of the governments business? Or should government control every room in the house but the bedroom?
    You are the self proclaimed Nazi, you tell me?

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Where is this invisible line between mutual agreements betwixt consenting adults and mutual agreements betwixt consenting adults? The one just seems so much like the other to me.
    And that is your problem, and the lack of debate on the subject becomes self evident.

    Bravo!

    Quote Originally Posted by Panache View Post
    Are you asking me? Then yes. I believe it was in fact a typo. I just chose to point it out because I didn't have a better retort. It was kinda weaksauce for me. I'll try to do better next time.
    Please do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •