View Poll Results: Should Corproations have "personhood" rights?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, corporations are just like a person

    18 18.18%
  • No, corporations are not just like a person

    81 81.82%
Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 710

Thread: Corporate Personhood

  1. #71
    Rockin' In The Free World
    the makeout hobo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Last Seen
    04-24-14 @ 06:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    7,102

    Re: Should Corporations Have Personhood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Corporations don't have the same rights as people. Otherwise, it would be legal to hire and fire people based on race and sex, since individual people have every right to decide who enters their property based on race and sex.
    They don't have every single right, but they have most of them.
    The Makeout Hobo is real, and does indeed travel around the country in his van and make out with ladies... If you meet the Makeout Hobo, it is customary to greet him with a shot of whiskey and a high five (if you are a dude) or passionate makeouts (if you are a lady).

  2. #72
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Should Corporations Have Personhood?

    Quote Originally Posted by the makeout hobo View Post
    They don't have every single right, but they have most of them.
    I suspect it has something to do with Freedom of Assembly, though that's just a guess.

    In any case, the First Amendment never limited Freedom of Speech to individual people, as is probably true with many other rights.

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    University of San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-14-11 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    672
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Corporations aren't people, but the First Amendment doesn't protect people. It's protects liberty. Liberty that should not be limited merely because you disagree with the vehicle in which they express their opinions.

  4. #74
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,516

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Why will no one answer the question?

    The New York Times is a corporation.

    If you say the First Amendment applies only to people, does the New York Times enjoy freedom of the press?

    Yes or no?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #75
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Why will no one answer the question?

    The New York Times is a corporation.

    If you say the First Amendment applies only to people, does the New York Times enjoy freedom of the press?

    Yes or no?
    The New York Times has freedom of speech to print what they want.

    However, if the New York times were to have an article blatantly criticizing Hillary Clinton for instance... then they should not be able to do that.


    But when it comes to strict Constitutionality, I agree with you though. in that the New York Times can print whatever they want, but I don't care about that as much as the practical issues of government censorship.

  6. #76
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    The New York Times has freedom of speech to print what they want.

    However, if the New York times were to have an article blatantly criticizing Hillary Clinton for instance... then they should not be able to do that.
    ...What?

    Why not?

  7. #77
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Why will no one answer the question?

    The New York Times is a corporation.

    If you say the First Amendment applies only to people, does the New York Times enjoy freedom of the press?

    Yes or no?
    Maybe newspapers shouldn't be corporations. There is really no societal good served by letting them be such. From the time of our founding up until just after the Civil War, if a corporation didn't serve a specific social purpose, they weren't chartered. Perhaps newspapers should have to be privately owned.

  8. #78
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    ...What?

    Why not?
    because campaign contributions should be limited.

    If not, then interests that have large amounts of money are able to promote their interests must too strongly.

  9. #79
    Sage
    Dav's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    04-16-16 @ 02:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,539

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    because campaign contributions should be limited.

    If not, then interests that have large amounts of money are able to promote their interests must too strongly.
    How is criticizing Hillary Clinton a "campaign contribution"?

  10. #80
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    How is criticizing Hillary Clinton a "campaign contribution"?
    it promotes candidates that oppose hillary Clinton. It would be the same if instead they made a movie supporting how great John McCain is.

    They all act the same as a campaign contribution, and therefore should be regulated.

Page 8 of 71 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •