View Poll Results: Should Corproations have "personhood" rights?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, corporations are just like a person

    18 18.18%
  • No, corporations are not just like a person

    81 81.82%
Page 53 of 71 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 530 of 710

Thread: Corporate Personhood

  1. #521
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Nobody gave them human rights. The people running the corporations have human rights already. This decision just says the fact that they run a corporation doesn't mean they lose those rights.
    You're wrong, it said that the corporation can use its money, not the money of the people who work there but corporate funds.

    I guess you just can't see the inconsistency of your view coupled with the SCOTUS view.

  2. #522
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    They can say things.
    you said corporations aren't people and can't speak yet the SCOTUS gives corporations free speech. So who's wrong, you or the SCOTUS?

  3. #523
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    You're wrong, it said that the corporation can use its money, not the money of the people who work there but corporate funds.

    I guess you just can't see the inconsistency of your view coupled with the SCOTUS view.
    But corporate funds ARE the funds of the people who work there.

    They are one and the same.

    Through their work, they generated those funds.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #524
    Student pugetsoundwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-10-10 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    252

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Because they weren't mentioned anywhere in the Constitution. The idea that corporations are somehow the same as a person is just silly.

    All this does is prove the Repubs fools. They crow if its not in the Constitution it has no rights( abortion, health care and such) yet are willing to give a Corp equal footing with a human. Hypocritical of them.

  5. #525
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    But corporate funds ARE the funds of the people who work there.

    They are one and the same.

    Through their work, they generated those funds.
    Oh, so the guy in the mail room can just make a withdrawl from the corporate bank account because it's his money. Nice try... well, not really even that good.

  6. #526
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    You're wrong, it said that the corporation can use its money, not the money of the people who work there but corporate funds.
    I thought corporations weren't persons and can't speak - how can a corporation use anything? It's the PEOPLE using the corporation's money to speak.

  7. #527
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    you said corporations aren't people and can't speak
    I didn't say that - I was repeating the argument of others.

    yet the SCOTUS gives corporations free speech. So who's wrong, you or the SCOTUS?
    The SCOTUS said people can use corporate money to engage in speech. Happy now?

  8. #528
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Oh, so the guy in the mail room can just make a withdrawal from the corporate bank account because it's his money. Nice try... well, not really even that good.
    I didn't mean that.

    I meant that corporate funds are the funds of those who control them. Although they are also, albeit not directly accessible, the funds of its employees.

    I would assume that those funds are to be used to maintain and improve the company, as such would be in the best interests of the members, investors and employees of the company (in most cases).

    If part of that maintenance and improvement involves supporting political candidates who advocate policies which (in the mind of the corporate entities involved) will improve the environment which the company exists in, then it seems only reasonable that the persons who control the company funds would assign some of those funds to such a purpose.

    Such activities would be in the best interests of:
    • The persons who control the funds of the corporation, because they want their company to prosper, as that will both reflect well on them and (probably) increase their salary/bonus.
    • Those persons who have invested in the company and/or own the company, because it will increase the value of their investment and/or company.
    • Those persons who work for the company, in whatever capacity, because it will provide opportunity for advancement in the company (through expansion of the company), and/or increased pay/salary (for the same reason).
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #529
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Last Seen
    09-22-10 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    11,430

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by pugetsoundwa View Post
    All this does is prove the Repubs fools. They crow if its not in the Constitution it has no rights( abortion, health care and such) yet are willing to give a Corp equal footing with a human. Hypocritical of them.
    Is it?

    Corporations represent the people who own them.

    The people who own them are protected under the First Amendment, ergo, the corporations cannot be denied Freedom of Speech, because to deny corporations that freedom is to deny the living people who own them that freedom.

    It's not hard, it's not confusing. It's freedom.

  10. #530
    Student pugetsoundwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-10-10 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    252

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post



    The SCOTUS said people can use corporate money to engage in speech. Happy now?

    Nope if say..Bill Gates wants to vioce his opinion then fine, let him as Bill Gates the man not as Microsoft...just a example..

Page 53 of 71 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •