View Poll Results: Should Corproations have "personhood" rights?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, corporations are just like a person

    18 18.18%
  • No, corporations are not just like a person

    81 81.82%
Page 49 of 71 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 490 of 710

Thread: Corporate Personhood

  1. #481
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    People.

    Yeah, people are always messing things up.

  2. #482
    User High Noon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Puget Sound
    Last Seen
    02-18-10 @ 04:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    48

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    People.

    exactly, democracy is made by the people, and people are unique, some corrupt, some corruptable, and others honest good-intentioned peoples, everyone seems to think democracy is that white knight on a pristine mount with a glimmering shield and sharp-edged lance,

    well its not, purely because a democracy can never be balanced, it will always be a tug-of-war between people with seperating ideals. in a tyrancy, everyone is FORCED to follow one ideal, in a democracy, everyone must agree that something is good, well that will never happen, because our inherant sense of morality clearly changes based upon the societal norms and influences of each UNIQUE person
    What right have I to say you are wrong? Only through speaking can you prove your own folly...
    NO ZONE

  3. #483
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    How can a corporation do that when, according to you, corporations can't do anything, and only people can?
    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Yeah, and how can lawyers do anything for corporations if they have no legal rights anyway?
    You two are amusing with your silly banter that amounts to, I have no argument left.

  4. #484
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    I have no argument left.

  5. #485
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,306

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I guess I just don't know enough about this to say whether they should have "personhood" or whether what the SCOTUS actually addressed this specifically in the latest ruling. Seems they made something that already existed consistent throughout the US.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  6. #486
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    What is there to wonder about? The Constitution was written for the people of the United States. Some might even go so far as to say it was written for the Citizens of the United States. Nothing in the Constitution mentions corporations while it does specifically name religion, the people, and the Press. All of those are named in the 1st amendment. There is also the word "naturalized citizen" and person.

    The word "people" can be found 8 times, the word "person" 12 times, but not one mention of corporations. Therefore, in our corporatocracy, the SCOTUS has given rights to corporations that the Constitution shows no intent to cover.

    The argument opponents of this make are - it doesn't not say corporations can't be considered people - and - The SCOTUS has given corporations some of those rights which proves the Constitution meant to cover them.

  7. #487
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:12 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,569

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    You two are amusing with your silly banter that amounts to, I have no argument left.
    Your self-contradiction is entirely your own.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #488
    Student pugetsoundwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-10-10 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    252

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    What is there to wonder about? The Constitution was written for the people of the United States. Some might even go so far as to say it was written for the Citizens of the United States. Nothing in the Constitution mentions corporations while it does specifically name religion, the people, and the Press. All of those are named in the 1st amendment. There is also the word "naturalized citizen" and person.

    The word "people" can be found 8 times, the word "person" 12 times, but not one mention of corporations. Therefore, in our corporatocracy, the SCOTUS has given rights to corporations that the Constitution shows no intent to cover.

    The argument opponents of this make are - it doesn't not say corporations can't be considered people - and - The SCOTUS has given corporations some of those rights which proves the Constitution meant to cover them.
    Also note that all parties involved in writing the Constitutions were basically businessmen. You seriously think they wouldn't have covered Corps if they wanted human rights bestowed on a non living thing.

    I still can't believe that people think a Corp deserves the same rights as a person...

  9. #489
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    What is there to wonder about? The Constitution was written for the people of the United States. Some might even go so far as to say it was written for the Citizens of the United States. Nothing in the Constitution mentions corporations while it does specifically name religion, the people, and the Press. All of those are named in the 1st amendment. There is also the word "naturalized citizen" and person.
    This is ridiculous. Corporations are just bank accounts created by people. Get over it.

    The argument opponents of this make are - it doesn't not say corporations can't be considered people - and - The SCOTUS has given corporations some of those rights which proves the Constitution meant to cover them.
    The First Amendment doesn't protect people, or corporation, it protects speech.

  10. #490
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    This is ridiculous. Corporations are just bank accounts created by people. Get over it.
    Even when being dismissive you're wrong. Corporations are liability shields and nothing more.

    The First Amendment doesn't protect people, or corporation, it protects speech.
    You keep saying it without any proof. The first amendment protects the rights of the people just like all the rest of the Constitution. That's what the BoR is, protection of the rights of the people from the government. It specifically mentions two other ideals, religion and the press.

Page 49 of 71 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •