View Poll Results: Should Corproations have "personhood" rights?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, corporations are just like a person

    18 18.18%
  • No, corporations are not just like a person

    81 81.82%
Page 48 of 71 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
Results 471 to 480 of 710

Thread: Corporate Personhood

  1. #471
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,558

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    I would think that the judges who call themselves "originalists" would have to show that the Framers viewed corporations as "persons". They did not do that because they cannot. I actually don't give a toss about originalism. What concerns me is the obvious perversion of democracy that has resulted from the flow of money into the process.
    You're the one making the factual claims, and basing your premise on them. It's up to you to show it.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #472
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    I would think that the judges who call themselves "originalists" would have to show that the Framers viewed corporations as "persons". They did not do that because they cannot.
    Personhood is irrelevant.

    What concerns me is the obvious perversion of democracy that has resulted from the flow of money into the process.
    You can't decide that some money or speech is corrupt just because you don't like it or where it comes from.
    Last edited by misterman; 01-28-10 at 03:03 PM.

  3. #473
    Student pugetsoundwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-10-10 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    252

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Ah, so you don't support democracy then. Your argument is simply absurd. Everything an elected official does that benefits the people is a "favor."
    sigh....Democracy isn't the issue. Corruption by humans is. you know beeter then what your posting...

  4. #474
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,558

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by pugetsoundwa View Post
    sigh....Democracy isn't the issue. Corruption by humans is. you know beeter then what your posting...
    What exactly is it that you think "democracy" is?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #475
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    I think all campaign contributions should have limitations. I would suggest a cap equaling the average yearly individual earning. I don't want Bill Gates to have the power to alter the results of an election anymore than I want Cargill to be able to do that.
    And how would that be enforced?

    Again, you can't just make broad pronouncements about what sounds cool if you don't understand how campaign finance has failed so miserably over the past 4 decades.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  6. #476
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by pugetsoundwa View Post
    sigh....Democracy isn't the issue.
    I was responding to this: "What concerns me is the obvious perversion of democracy that has resulted from the flow of money into the process." So yeah, it's the issue.

    How could it not be?

  7. #477
    Student pugetsoundwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Last Seen
    02-10-10 @ 01:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    252

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    I was responding to this: "What concerns me is the obvious perversion of democracy that has resulted from the flow of money into the process." So yeah, it's the issue.

    How could it not be?
    Its not Democracy thats the problem...its the PERVERSION of it. Not it itself..

  8. #478
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:04 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,558

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by pugetsoundwa View Post
    Its not Democracy thats the problem...its the PERVERSION of it. Not it itself..
    Honestly -- do you think "democracy" is some pristine Platonic form of being defined by the universe itself and those pesky people mess it up?

    Is that really what you think?
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #479
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by pugetsoundwa View Post
    Its not Democracy thats the problem...its the PERVERSION of it. Not it itself..
    Perversion how? What's perverting it?

  10. #480
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Perversion how? What's perverting it?
    People.

    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 48 of 71 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •