View Poll Results: Should Corproations have "personhood" rights?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, corporations are just like a person

    18 18.18%
  • No, corporations are not just like a person

    81 81.82%
Page 38 of 71 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 710

Thread: Corporate Personhood

  1. #371
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    And I showed it was not a valid analogy.
    How?

    He used an analogy with cats in the place of people, and you say the constitution was not written for cats...

    How does that invalidate his analogy?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #372
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,546

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    But you haven't proved that my position is wrong. I have refuted every argument thrown including some that people should be ashamed to have proffered in the first place.
    I don't have to prove your position wrong. It's your position. You prove it right.

    Your description of the Bill of Rights, and the First Amendment in particular, are contrary to 220 years of understanding. Others have posted plenty of links to source material showing exactly that.

    You've offered absolutely nothing to back up your position. It's the way you'd prefer things, no doubt -- but it's not the way it is.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  3. #373
    Professor
    Cassandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Last Seen
    11-02-17 @ 02:39 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow Akhbar View Post

    Corporations are "groups of people".
    No, they are not. They are a legal construct. They are not formed for the purpose of speech. And their political donations(speech) do not represent the bidding of any group of people.

  4. #374
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    No, they are not. They are a legal construct. They are not formed for the purpose of speech. And their political donations(speech) do not represent the bidding of any group of people.
    I mean...did you even bother yourself with the evidence to the contrary or what?

  5. #375
    Professor
    Cassandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Last Seen
    11-02-17 @ 02:39 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I mean...did you even bother yourself with the evidence to the contrary or what?
    The evidence is sophistry.

    It is common sense, as Sarah is so found of repeating. Corporations are not people. They do not speak for any person or group's point of view.

    And those pesky right wing supreme court judges, apparently don't care what the framers thought about the concept. I thought they were the "originalists"???? The framers ,clearly, did not consider corporations "persons". Ah, given a little prod and they all turn out to be activist partisans.

    All in all, though, I am beginning to think the decision may be all for the good. Congress will probably pass some law that requires the C.E.O. to get up in front of the camera and say, " I am Joe Schmuck, head of Bank of America and approve this message" Maybe Americans will wake up and demand better representation. Then again, maybe I am dreamin..

  6. #376
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Corporate Personhoodhttp://www.debatepolitics.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1058

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    And those pesky right wing supreme court judges, apparently don't care what the framers thought about the concept. I thought they were the "originalists"???? The framers ,clearly, did not consider corporations "persons". Ah, given a little prod and they all turn out to be activist partisans.
    You're attributing these beliefs to those "pesky right wingers"?

    Do me a favor:

    1) Read this: First National Bank of Boston v. Bellotti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    First National Bank of Boston v. Bellotti, 435 U.S. 765 (1978), was a case in which the United States Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that corporations had a First Amendment right to make contributions in order to attempt to influence political processes.
    2) Go here: FindLaw | Cases and Codes

    3) Look at the names of the Justices in the majority:

    POWELL, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which BURGER, C. J., and STEWART, BLACKMUN, and STEVENS, JJ., joined.
    Yea, only right wingers like Justice Stevens or the author of Roe v. Wade could possibly agree that corporations enjoy some constitutional rights.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #377
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    The evidence is sophistry.

    It is common sense, as Sarah is so found of repeating. Corporations are not people. They do not speak for any person or group's point of view.

    And those pesky right wing supreme court judges, apparently don't care what the framers thought about the concept. I thought they were the "originalists"???? The framers ,clearly, did not consider corporations "persons". Ah, given a little prod and they all turn out to be activist partisans.

    All in all, though, I am beginning to think the decision may be all for the good. Congress will probably pass some law that requires the C.E.O. to get up in front of the camera and say, " I am Joe Schmuck, head of Bank of America and approve this message" Maybe Americans will wake up and demand better representation. Then again, maybe I am dreamin..
    Yeah all that "secure in their person and papers" nonsense, what were they thinking

  8. #378
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,546

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    No, they are not. They are a legal construct. They are not formed for the purpose of speech.
    Corporations may be formed for any legal purpose.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #379
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:02 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,546

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Cassandra View Post
    The framers ,clearly, did not consider corporations "persons". Ah, given a little prod and they all turn out to be activist partisans.
    The Framers most certainly did believe that the Bill of Rights still applies to their activities.

    You guys keep claiming that they wouldn't, but no one can find any evidence of that. Funny thing.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  10. #380
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    If the framers had intended corporations to have the rights our courts have given them over the years, and I should point out that judges aren't supposed to make laws, that's the job of Congress, regardless, don't you think they would have addressed them somewhere in the Constitution?

    A couple of you have produced court cases that prove the courts have granted rights, that should only apply to people, to corporations. It's judicial activism.

    Our country has slowly become a Corporatocracy and this latest affront is just another nail in the coffin of democracy and another boon for corporations.

    The corporatists have no morality, allowing corporations to use company funds to influence elections is morally wrong because "the people" cannot compete financially and therefore lose control. Sure, we can vote but based on what information? Who decided what candidates to offer us to choose from? Corporate rule has destroyed this country.

Page 38 of 71 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •