View Poll Results: Should Corproations have "personhood" rights?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, corporations are just like a person

    18 18.18%
  • No, corporations are not just like a person

    81 81.82%
Page 33 of 71 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
Results 321 to 330 of 710

Thread: Corporate Personhood

  1. #321
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Ah.

    It would seem to me that such ads could be used against the candidates they support, under the right conditions.

    For example, if an ad supporting Pres. Bush's reelection in 2004 had been funded solely by one of the largest oil companies, or even worse, a group of the largest oil companies...
    Yes, freedom of speech used to deal with freedom of speech. Just how its supposed to work.

  2. #322
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Going back to the OP question, I have a question.

    At what point in time did corporations gain any or all the rights of a person?

    At the time, I assumed it was in reference to the recent SCOTUS decision.
    1886, in the Santa Clara decision noted above. This principle has since been affirmed in dozens of other decisions over the past 130 years. The fact that some random jackass claims it wasn't actually part of the record doesn't mean dick. We went over this exact issue almost a year ago:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/govern...post1057901320

    I was curious about this "Hartmann" guy, so I decided to see where he got his law degree.

    By 1967, Hartmann was studying at Michigan State University and working as part-time news announcer at local country music station WITL while protesting the Vietnam War with Students for a Democratic Society (SDS). He received his C.H. (Chartered Herbalist) degree from Dominion Herbal College, an M.H. (Master of Herbology) degree from Emerson College, and a Ph.D. in Homeopathic Medicine from Brantridge in England.
    Yea, that's exactly who I want to be getting my views on 19th century jurisprudence from.
    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Do you believe Roe V Wade was a "good" legal decision?
    No. Point?
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  3. #323
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    The fact that some random jackass claims
    This part could apply to a whole lot of threads.

  4. #324
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Ah.

    It would seem to me that such ads could be used against the candidates they support, under the right conditions.

    For example, if an ad supporting Pres. Bush's reelection in 2004 had been funded solely by one of the largest oil companies, or even worse, a group of the largest oil companies...

    Edit: Added another response.



    Sorry about that.
    What the SCOTUS did was say that corporations can have political speech protected. Since they've ruled before that spending money on campaign ads is political speech and therefore protected speech, they can spend all they want on political speech. What we are arguing about it that the SCOTUS effectively gave corporations the same 1st amendment right as people. Corporations are not people, but rather entities COMPLETELY unlike a person and are not therefore protected like a person i.e. corporate personhood.

    I even provided the legal definition of a corporation.

    Corporations | LII / Legal Information Institute

  5. #325
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:47 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,585

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    What we are arguing about it that the SCOTUS effectively gave corporations the same 1st amendment right as people. Corporations are not people, but rather entities COMPLETELY unlike a person and are not therefore protected like a person i.e. corporate personhood.
    Yes, you keep saying it, but you're wrong. You have your own theory of things which does not match what actually is. You made it up.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  6. #326
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    What we are arguing about it that the SCOTUS effectively gave corporations the same 1st amendment right as people. Corporations are not people, but rather entities COMPLETELY unlike a person and are not therefore protected like a person i.e. corporate personhood.
    Again, where in the First Amendment does it say that only people have the right to free speech? It says Congress shall make no law infringing freedom of speech. That's it.

  7. #327
    Guru
    Porchev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    GA
    Last Seen
    01-08-17 @ 12:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    3,092

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Aren't corporations built by and made up of people?

  8. #328
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    No. Point?
    So you think the SCOTUS made a bad decision. A mistake, yes? Have you argued here on this board tha the SCOTUS was wrong in that decision? Did you argue that your position is correct and they are wrong?

  9. #329
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Yes, you keep saying it, but you're wrong. You have your own theory of things which does not match what actually is. You made it up.
    But you haven't proved that my position is wrong. I have refuted every argument thrown including some that people should be ashamed to have proffered in the first place.

  10. #330
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    What the SCOTUS did was say that corporations can have political speech protected. Since they've ruled before that spending money on campaign ads is political speech and therefore protected speech, they can spend all they want on political speech. What we are arguing about it that the SCOTUS effectively gave corporations the same 1st amendment right as people. Corporations are not people, but rather entities COMPLETELY unlike a person and are not therefore protected like a person i.e. corporate personhood.

    I even provided the legal definition of a corporation.

    Corporations | LII / Legal Information Institute
    But, according to this excerpt from the above link, they are treated like a person in some ways.

    The law treats a corporation as a legal "person" that has standing to sue and be sued, distinct from its stockholders. The legal independence of a corporation prevents shareholders from being personally liable for corporate debts. It also allows stockholders to sue the corporation through a derivative suit and makes ownership in the company (shares) easily transferable. The legal "person" status of corporations gives the business perpetual life; deaths of officials or stockholders do not alter the corporation's structure.
    The recent ruling seems only to add that they can "sponser" political ads, if my understanding is correct.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 33 of 71 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •