View Poll Results: Should Corproations have "personhood" rights?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, corporations are just like a person

    18 18.18%
  • No, corporations are not just like a person

    81 81.82%
Page 32 of 71 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 710

Thread: Corporate Personhood

  1. #311
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Others have said that too, and found out otherwise. You're no different.



    The press is an entity.
    Well, it seems you have no new arguments. You are simply repeating the same ones that have been refuted so. I'm done re-refuting them.

  2. #312
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    If you're going to be obtuse then expect to be labeled as such. If you prefer not to be labeled as such then perhaps consider not being obtuse.

    Now, what are the consequences? Are they legal consequences? Is there in fact laws that restrict free speech or not?
    I wasn't being obtuse.

    I completely recognized what you were actually saying.

    I chose to make a point about grammar, and/or inalienable rights. After all, you CAN do anything. The repercussions for such, however...
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  3. #313
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I dunno, does campaign finance law restrict campaign contributions to US-only contributors?
    Yes.

    But this has nothing to do with campaign finance.

  4. #314
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Well, it seems you have no new arguments. You are simply repeating the same ones that have been refuted so. I'm done re-refuting them.
    Sounds just like you. And you've stooped to worse.

    The First Amendment clearly limits the power of Congress to ban speech. Nothing about who is speaking is mentioned.

  5. #315
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Interesting.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  6. #316
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Yes.

    But this has nothing to do with campaign finance.
    Explain please?

    How can restrictions on foreign donations to a campaign have nothing to do with campaign finance?
    Last edited by The Mark; 01-25-10 at 06:42 PM.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  7. #317
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Explain please?
    This decision isn't about corporations giving money to campaigns, or anyone else. "Campaign finance" refers to financing the campaigns of candidates for office, i.e. donations. Corporations are still banned from giving money from their treasuries to federal campaigns or parties.

    It's only about corporations spending money to run ads or publish things giving their opinions about candidates directly, like anything else. That's it.

  8. #318
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Explain please?

    How can restrictions on foreign donations to a campaign have nothing to do with campaign finance?
    You added the foreign part later. Please see my reply. Foreign corporations are also banned from giving money to candidates, as are individuals.

  9. #319
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    This decision isn't about corporations giving money to campaigns, or anyone else. "Campaign finance" refers to financing the campaigns of candidates for office, i.e. donations. Corporations are still banned from giving money from their treasuries to federal campaigns or parties.

    It's only about corporations spending money to run ads or publish things giving their opinions about candidates directly, like anything else. That's it.
    Ah.

    It would seem to me that such ads could be used against the candidates they support, under the right conditions.

    For example, if an ad supporting Pres. Bush's reelection in 2004 had been funded solely by one of the largest oil companies, or even worse, a group of the largest oil companies...

    Edit: Added another response.

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    You added the foreign part later. Please see my reply. Foreign corporations are also banned from giving money to candidates, as are individuals.
    Sorry about that.
    Last edited by The Mark; 01-25-10 at 06:49 PM.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  10. #320
    User
    Chappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Last Seen
    04-07-15 @ 01:50 AM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    26

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    I dunno, does campaign finance law restrict campaign contributions to US-only contributors? …
    Yes, you need to be a citizen to contribute to a political campaign. Or at least you use to have to be a citizen.

    “Real environmentalists live in cities, and they visit what's left of the wilderness as gently and respectfully as possible.” — Donna Moulton, letter to the editor, Tucson Weekly, published on August 23, 2001

Page 32 of 71 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •