View Poll Results: Should Corproations have "personhood" rights?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, corporations are just like a person

    18 18.18%
  • No, corporations are not just like a person

    81 81.82%
Page 29 of 71 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 710

Thread: Corporate Personhood

  1. #281
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by RightinNYC View Post
    Says the guy who doesn't know the first thing about it.
    Says the guy who doesn't know the first thing about it or me.

    Holy ****.

    Dude, the fact that the 9th amendment refers to "the people" does not mean that everything else in the Constitution is only applicable to the people. This is some basic stuff.
    Holy ****.

    Dude, the fact that you obviously have no idea what you are talking about doesn't mean that you should just ramble. This is some basic stuff.

    Since you obviously didn't bother to read the thread, I'll do you the favor of linking to a post where this was explained.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1058506490

    But hey, by all means, you obviously know much better than the SC.
    I have read every page and every post which is more than I can say about you.

    Yes I think do know better than the SC on this. Now if you'd like to play some little game about how right the SC is then I'd be happy to. I'm sure I can find a decision you disagree with and then sarcastically claim that you must know better than they... I know it's difficult but TRY being consistent and honest in your debates.

  2. #282
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    It doesn't mention people either!

    It says Congress shall make no law abridging freedom of speech. NO law.
    Tis foolish to base an argument based on an imperfect document written centuries ago....
    Laws will have to be written as long as man refuses to behave himself(shouting "fire" in a crowded theater).

  3. #283
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Because YOU say so?





    I'm saying that "corporations" are a boogeyman, and when the "problems" that keeping corporate money out of political advertising are supposed to solve don't actually GET solved, you'll have to find something else to blame, and to outlaw, no doubt.
    This is based on the fact that you can have the ability to see the future. I could REALLY use the winning lotter numbers!!

  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Should Corporations Have Personhood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    No, you prove it, becuse you are the one making the factual assertion.

    But you won't be able to, because you pulled it out of thin air.
    I already did, try reading the thread instead of mucking up the thread with gibberish.

  5. #285
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    You are having a hard time understanding the scope of the Bill of Rights.

    What a thing, having a philosophy which requires you to come up with novel ways to diminish the scope of protection it affords.
    So you've run out of crap to throw at the wall and have decided now to turn to simply blathering without anything substantive to say.

  6. #286
    Girthless
    RightinNYC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    New York, NY
    Last Seen
    01-23-11 @ 11:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    25,894

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Says the guy who doesn't know the first thing about it or me.

    Holy ****.

    Dude, the fact that you obviously have no idea what you are talking about doesn't mean that you should just ramble. This is some basic stuff.

    I have read every page and every post which is more than I can say about you.
    I provided you with citations to case law. You said "Try reading the Constitution." Yes, you've certainly got the upper hand in this debate.

    Yes I think do know better than the SC on this.
    Why? Explain what part of the opinion you think is wrong, and cite some case law that supports for your position.

    Now if you'd like to play some little game about how right the SC is then I'd be happy to. I'm sure I can find a decision you disagree with and then sarcastically claim that you must know better than they... I know it's difficult but TRY being consistent and honest in your debates.
    Here's the difference between your position and mine:

    You could very easily find plenty of SC decisions I would disagree with. I would happily admit that I think the case turned out the wrong way. However, I would not then turn around and claim that those decisions are not good law because I don't like them.

    On the other hand, when you are presented with decisions that you don't like, you start ranting about how your misinterpretation of a portion of the Constitution proves that you're right. That's not quite the same thing.

    Here are indisputable facts:

    Both the liberals and conservatives on the SC have agreed for centuries that the Constitution applies to more than just individuals. Both the liberals and the conservatives on the SC have agreed for decades that the First Amendment protects the right of corporations to spend money in order to influence the political process. The court is currently skirmishing over the scope of this right, but the underlying principles that I have mentioned are not in doubt.

    You're free to think this is bad policy. You're free to think that the court got it wrong and it should all be changed. What you're not free to do is come up with your own facts and pretend like none of this ever happened.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

  7. #287
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,748

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    I agree. What's your point, that once a group of people assemble then suddenly the "group", not the individuals, but the "group" now has the rights of a person? So I can just form group after group after group...

    So I can call ten people and tell them to meet me in the park. Once we get there we assemble and using our new found rights we all contribute the maximum amount of money we are allowed by law. Then we disperse and meet up 10 minutes later in the south corner of the park. Now we are a new group and we donate again... then we disperse and move to the north end of the park.

    I know its tough to be wrong but you really should think about the context and the possible rebuttals before you throw your crap against the wall. So far nothing has stuck.
    No, that was not my point.

    You said:
    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    OK, I can see my mistake. Here's the solution. The individuals all still have their individual rights in tact. The "group" never had any rights to begin with and any rights gained are given by the government and can be removed. Assuming of course the group is not simply an assembling of people.

    Let's not be quite so loose with our definitions just to shoe horn our opinions.
    I was simply pointing out that you were incorrect in your apparent differentiation between some arbitrary definition of "group", and a group which is an assembling of people. I was saying that no essential difference exists.
    Last edited by The Mark; 01-25-10 at 05:43 PM.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #288
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    "Freedom of the press" is not "freedom of a form a media." It's a freedom of anyone to publish, to create and distribute words on a page. It's an action, not a thing.

    You really don't understand this stuff, do you?
    I'm afraid for you that I do and you are simply scrambling because you can't bear to be wrong. That shows a real weakness of character.

    "The Press" is an idea (which is why we are able to apply it's label to TV, radio, the internet... Put into action it is the vehicle for ideas - free speech.

    Take a journalism course, it might help you understand what you are talking about.

    We are, heart and soul, friends to the freedom of the press. It is however, the prostituted companion of liberty, and somehow or other, we know not how, its efficient auxiliary. It follows the substance like its shade; but while a man walks erect, he may observe that his shadow is almost always in the dirt. It corrupts, it deceives, it inflames. It strips virtue of her honors, and lends to faction its wildfire and its poisoned arms, and in the end is its own enemy and the usurper's ally, It would be easy to enlarge on its evils. They are in England, they are here, they are everywhere. It is a precious pest, and a necessary mischief, and there would be no liberty without it.
    Fisher Ames, Review of the Pamphlet on the State of the British Constituiton, 1807
    If by the liberty of the press were understood merely the liberty of discussing the propriety of public measures and political opinions, let us have as much of it as you please: But if it means the liberty of affronting, calumniating and defaming one another, I, for my part, own myself willing to part with my share of it, whenever our legislators shall please so to alter the law and shall chearfully consent to exchange my liberty of abusing others for the privilege of not being abused myself.
    Benjamin Franklin, An Account of the Supremest Court of Judicature in Pennsylvania, viz. The Court of the Press, September 12, 1789
    To the press alone, checkered as it is with abuses, the world is indebted for all the triumphs which have been gained by reason and humanity over error and oppression.
    James Madison, Report on the Virginia Resolutions, 1798
    Where the press is free and every man able to read, all is safe.
    Thomas Jefferson, letter to Charles Yancey, January 6, 1816
    No government ought to be without censors & where the press is free, no one ever will.
    Thomas Jefferson, September 9, 1792
    The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves in all cases to which they think themselves competent, or they may act by representatives, freely and equally chosen; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property, and freedom of the press.
    Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Cartwright, 1824
    Who are "they"?
    Freedom of the press - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Freedom of the press, is the freedom of communication and expression through vehicles including various electronic media and published materials.

  9. #289
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Where do you get the idea that it was never "meant" to protect people exercising their rights as a group?

    You're making a positive statement about intent, which means you have to show it.
    Why do you insist that because a document doesn't contain something that it obviously meant that that "something" should be included at will or a whim. The creators of the Constitution and all State Constitutions could have had the world corporation included but NONE of them do. So why do you feel it necessary to include them yourself?

  10. #290
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    "Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press..."

    Nothing about individuals in there. In fact, there's a specific reference to groups - the press. Are newspapers individuals? Most are corporations, by the way.
    I love the way people who take things out of context to make it fit their desired position.

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
    Again, Religion, Freedom of speech and peacably assemble are mention and who do they apply to? THE PEOPLE. The ONLY place corporations are mentioned in the Constitution is in article 14.

    Search the entire LII site

    A corporation is a legal entity created through the laws of its state of incorporation. Individual states have the power to promulgate laws relating to the creation, organization and dissolution of corporations. Many states follow the Model Business Corporation Act. (See Minnesota's adoption.) State corporation laws require articles of incorporation to document the corporation's creation and to provide provisions regarding the management of internal affairs. Most state corporation statutes also operate under the assumption that each corporation will adopt bylaws to define the rights and obligations of officers, persons and groups within its structure. States also have registration laws requiring corporations that incorporate in other states to request permission to do in-state business.

Page 29 of 71 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •