View Poll Results: Should Corproations have "personhood" rights?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, corporations are just like a person

    18 18.18%
  • No, corporations are not just like a person

    81 81.82%
Page 23 of 71 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 710

Thread: Corporate Personhood

  1. #221
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    The actual Constitution, or your odd version of it?
    I've only quoted it as the defense of my position.

  2. #222
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    You ought not use someones argument so quickly. The 9th amendment only lends credence to my position.
    How do you figure that?!

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #223
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Should Corporations Have Personhood?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    No they don't have that right because a corporation is not a person itself and those people who work there already have their right protected.
    Well, if we are going to get very technical, then because of the 10th amendment, since Congress does not have the authority to regulate campaign contributions then Congress can not carry out those powers.


    Also, since people have a right to peacefully assemble, that would mean that the assembled group has a right to say what they want collectively, and therefore also have the authority to donate money collectively.

  4. #224
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Well you said that groups have no rights, but groups are infused in pretty much every part of our lives. If groups have no rights then we basically have no rights.
    That's completely ridiculous. If that were true then if groups didn't exist, people wouldn't exist. See how ignorant that is?

  5. #225
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    That proves nothing. The government is wrong about that.
    So that's your rebuttal, that the government is wrong about the rules that you denied exist...

    What's so bad if I'm running for office and I get some financial support for my campaign from GM?
    Because the PEOPLE can't compete monetarily with GM therefore you get to dominate the election process. Not very democratic.

  6. #226
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    A gathering of people to form a corporation isn't a gathering of PEOPLE for a specific purpose? Your argument is dying and it's dying fast.
    What purpose did those people gather for? To create a corporation, once they do so they are no longer an assembly of people. Again, you're trying to use an adulterated definition of "assembly".

  7. #227
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    That's completely ridiculous. If that were true then if groups didn't exist, people wouldn't exist. See how ignorant that is?
    No, that's a different argument.

    He is saying that a group, comprised of X number of persons, while not having rights of it's own, is, obviously, comprised of persons who DO have rights.

    Thus, restricting the rights of a group restricts the rights of the people who make it up.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #228
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    No, that's a different argument.

    He is saying that a group, comprised of X number of persons, while not having rights of it's own, is, obviously, comprised of persons who DO have rights.

    Thus, restricting the rights of a group restricts the rights of the people who make it up.
    OK, I can see my mistake. Here's the solution. The individuals all still have their individual rights in tact. The "group" never had any rights to begin with and any rights gained are given by the government and can be removed. Assuming of course the group is not simply an assembling of people.

    Let's not be quite so loose with our definitions just to shoe horn our opinions.

  9. #229
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    OK, I can see my mistake. Here's the solution. The individuals all still have their individual rights in tact. The "group" never had any rights to begin with and any rights gained are given by the government and can be removed. Assuming of course the group is not simply an assembling of people.

    Let's not be quite so loose with our definitions just to shoe horn our opinions.
    But ANY group is an assembling of people.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  10. #230
    Professor
    Cassandra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Last Seen
    11-02-17 @ 02:39 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,319

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    But ANY group is an assembling of people.
    If a person joins the A.A.R.P. or the N.R.A. they do so because they agree with the N.R.A/ AARP 's lobbying positions.

    That is completely untrue of a corporation. Who is even "speaking" when a corporation pays for an ad to support or attack a candidate? The employee? Certainly not. The Shareholder? Doubtful. Even the C.E.O. or board of directors may well consent to buy ads that run contrary to their personal views and preferences because they have a fiduciary responsibility to do so. The Corporations is an artificial legal construct and "political expression' has nothing to do with individuals gathering to express themselves.

Page 23 of 71 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •