View Poll Results: Should Corproations have "personhood" rights?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, corporations are just like a person

    18 18.18%
  • No, corporations are not just like a person

    81 81.82%
Page 20 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 710

Thread: Corporate Personhood

  1. #191
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,542

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Because the people who run the entity already have the right to free speech and now they can use their company's money as well, regardless of the will of all the other people in that entity.
    Why, that sounds like what the government does with tax money. Funny, that.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  2. #192
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    huh? so that means that there should be limits on corporate contributions so politicians will not be corporate pawns... great i agree
    No, nowhere did I say that. I'm fine with them being able to contribute as much as they want, it's just a part of free speech. However, if their salary depended on the way that they voted then we would have the problem of people having to vote a certain way or losing their salary. Politican's salaries are guaranteed independent of voting records (as long as you keep the people who vote for you happy).

    So if you vote the opposite of how a campaign contributor wants you to vote, you'll still be able to live (quite comfortably) without their money. Besides, I'm pretty sure that the public looks down very much so on bribery.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Should Corporations Have Personhood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    I suspect it has something to do with Freedom of Assembly, though that's just a guess.

    In any case, the First Amendment never limited Freedom of Speech to individual people, as is probably true with many other rights.
    I think I already showed that the 1st amendment ONLY gave free speech to PEOPLE. The Press, at the time the Constitution was conceived, is specifically treated differently and included in the 1st amendment because the Press was seen as the voice of the people.

  4. #194
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,542

    Re: Should Corporations Have Personhood?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    I think I already showed that the 1st amendment ONLY gave free speech to PEOPLE. The Press, at the time the Constitution was conceived, is specifically treated differently and included in the 1st amendment because the Press was seen as the voice of the people.
    Even if that actually made sense, which it does not . . . you just pulled it out of thin air.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  5. #195
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Should Corporations Have Personhood?

    organizations, such as corporations, have freedom of speech as much as an individual because organizations are comprised of individuals.

  6. #196
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Areopagitican View Post
    Corporations aren't people, but the First Amendment doesn't protect people. It's protects liberty. Liberty that should not be limited merely because you disagree with the vehicle in which they express their opinions.
    That's quite an interpretation you have. I suppose you're not one of those Constitutionalists who believe we shouldn't be interpreting it for our own purposes?

    EVERY article and amendment protects liberty. It's kinda the reason for it's existence. To limit government so that we the PEOPLE can have liberty.

    Corporations existed well before the Constitution was written, as well as money, politics, political speech, elections... If the Founding Fathers had intended for corporations to have free speech then don't you think they were smart enough to have mentioned it?

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    Why will no one answer the question?

    The New York Times is a corporation.

    If you say the First Amendment applies only to people, does the New York Times enjoy freedom of the press?

    Yes or no?
    YES. The PRESS has freedom of speech. Is the New York Times considered "the Press"? Try not to forget what "the Press" was back in 1776 as compared to today. I think "the Press" is quite different and should be redefined.
    Last edited by NoJingoLingo; 01-24-10 at 05:09 PM.

  8. #198
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,542

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Corporations existed well before the Constitution was written, as well as money, politics, political speech, elections... If the Founding Fathers had intended for corporations to have free speech then don't you think they were smart enough to have mentioned it?
    Even if one accepted the ludicrous idea that the First Amendment doesn't apply to corporations because it doesn't mention them, I direct your attention to the Ninth Amendment.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  9. #199
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    That's quite an interpretation you have. I suppose you're not one of those Constitutionalists who believe we shouldn't be interpreting it for our own purposes?

    EVERY article and amendment protects liberty. It's kinda the reason for it's existence. To limit government so that we the PEOPLE can have liberty.

    Corporations existed well before the Constitution was written, as well as money, politics, political speech, elections... If the Founding Fathers had intended for corporations to have free speech then don't you think they were smart enough to have mentioned it?
    I forgot who it was, but one of the founding fathers argued against a bill of rights because it would be used to say that because a certain right isn't listed in the bill of rights that it would be used to deny rights.

    So this argument is nonsense, especially when you consider the 9th amendment.

    "The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people. "

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  10. #200
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,542

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    YES. The PRESS has freedom of speech. Is the New York Times considered "the Press"? Try not to forget what "the Press" was back in 1776 as compared to today. I think "the Press" is quite different and should be redefined.
    You're just making things up to try to get past a glaring inconsistency in your views.

    "The press" is an action, like speech. It's not a group.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

Page 20 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •