View Poll Results: Should Corproations have "personhood" rights?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, corporations are just like a person

    18 18.18%
  • No, corporations are not just like a person

    81 81.82%
Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 710

Thread: Corporate Personhood

  1. #181
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    It would be an arbitrary limit though. Have you ever thought about why politicians get a salary for their work in government? It's not the way it always used to be.
    sdfl;jfs;lfj;skd

    every limit is an arbitrary limit if you put it that way

    what does politicians getting a salary have to do with anything?

  2. #182
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    I do believe that a corporation has the same rights as a person. But I'm perplexed by the fact (in the eyes of some people) that a corporation has more of a right (claim) to personhood than a human pre-birth child does.
    Can you explain why you think an entity that the government creates and can terminate at will, for the purpose of shielding the entities owners from liability, should have the protected the same rights that I have?

  3. #183
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,562

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    I believe you are GREATLY stretching the meaning of "assembly".
    He's not, but if he is, that's OK, because reading the Bill of Rights as expansively as possible strikes me as very the right thing to do.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  4. #184
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Areopagitican View Post
    I think that's because corporations A: respect the laws of the country B: don't attempt to kill civilians. Of course, to my knowledge. Once Apple starts bombing crowded subways, and Microsoft starts ignoring the laws of this country as a matter of course; please tell me.
    A) You're wrong
    B) You're wrong

    Does it have to be Apple and Microsoft or can we use other examples? I can name MANY.

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Yes,..

    And even more so than just metaphorically.

    When you incorporate a human egg cell with a human sperm cell,.. You create a new "person."
    In your opinion. In reality it's a zygote. Let's not derail the thread.

  6. #186
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by nerv14 View Post
    sdfl;jfs;lfj;skd

    every limit is an arbitrary limit if you put it that way

    what does politicians getting a salary have to do with anything?
    Well, most government imposed limits are arbitrary.

    Without a politician's salary, they would be dependent on companies for their livelihood. They would basically be corporate representatives in government because no one else could afford it.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  7. #187
    Filmmaker Lawyer Patriot
    Harshaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:43 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    29,562

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    In your opinion. In reality it's a zygote. Let's not derail the thread.
    1) His post was tangentially relevant.
    2) You responded to his opinion with an opinion of your own.
    “Offing those rich pigs with their own forks and knives, and then eating a meal in the same room, far out! The Weathermen dig Charles Manson.”-- Bernadine Dohrn

  8. #188
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    A) You're wrong
    B) You're wrong


    No you're wrong!

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  9. #189
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    Well, most government imposed limits are arbitrary.

    Without a politician's salary, they would be dependent on companies for their livelihood. They would basically be corporate representatives in government because no one else could afford it.
    huh? so that means that there should be limits on corporate contributions so politicians will not be corporate pawns... great i agree

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    06-23-10 @ 11:33 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,320

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Dav View Post
    Okay, so if it's impossible for an entity to have a voice, why are you even concerned about this issue? The Supreme Court, according to you, just gave companies the right to do something that it is physically impossible for them to do anyways.
    Because the people who run the entity already have the right to free speech and now they can use their company's money as well, regardless of the will of all the other people in that entity.

Page 19 of 71 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •