View Poll Results: Should Corproations have "personhood" rights?

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, corporations are just like a person

    18 18.18%
  • No, corporations are not just like a person

    81 81.82%
Page 11 of 71 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 710

Thread: Corporate Personhood

  1. #101
    Advisor Rassales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    03-08-10 @ 02:23 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    564

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    One fundamental difference between corporations and unions on one side and other kinds of groups created to influence public opinion is that corporations and unions have one single over-riding interest--profit and their own very limited economic well-being. While individuals are moral actors with a mixture of many motivations, corporations want only to increase revenues and limit costs. For a corporation, investments in political speech are just another kind of investment. Something similar can be said about unions.

    Allowing public opinion to be bought and sold like any other commodity is inherently corrupting to our politics. The ideology on which modern democracy is based has at its roots the idea that individuals can look past their own individual self-interest when exercising their political rights--like voting and speaking on public issues. Corporations not only can't do this--they shouldn't. Neither can unions.

    I suspect the net effect of this will be a growth in cynicism about all these institutions and a growing distrust of politics.

  2. #102
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Rassales View Post
    One fundamental difference between corporations and unions on one side and other kinds of groups created to influence public opinion is that corporations and unions have one single over-riding interest--profit and their own very limited economic well-being. While individuals are moral actors with a mixture of many motivations, corporations want only to increase revenues and limit costs. For a corporation, investments in political speech are just another kind of investment. Something similar can be said about unions.

    Allowing public opinion to be bought and sold like any other commodity is inherently corrupting to our politics. The ideology on which modern democracy is based has at its roots the idea that individuals can look past their own individual self-interest when exercising their political rights--like voting and speaking on public issues. Corporations not only can't do this--they shouldn't. Neither can unions.

    I suspect the net effect of this will be a growth in cynicism about all these institutions and a growing distrust of politics.
    What a load of crap.

    Everyone has self-interest. Deciding that some shouldn't be able to speak just because they want to make a profit is crazy. I want to make a profit too, by the way.

    You can't just decide that some speech is corrupt or evil and restrict it on those grounds.

  3. #103
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    I am always tickled when people who are repulsed by the idea of applying the Constitution to terrorists or illegal combatants or illegal aliens or illegal immegrants or migrant workers (whatever the term de jour is) loudly and proudly proclaim that it should apply to corporations.

    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  4. #104
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    mad Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by NoJingoLingo View Post
    Well I think we should discuss this topic. I don't believe corporations should have the rights of a person. What's your take and why?
    I do believe that a corporation has the same rights as a person. But I'm perplexed by the fact (in the eyes of some people) that a corporation has more of a right (claim) to personhood than a human pre-birth child does.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    University of San Diego
    Last Seen
    04-14-11 @ 02:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    672
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I am always tickled when people who are repulsed by the idea of applying the Constitution to terrorists or illegal combatants or illegal aliens or illegal immegrants or migrant workers (whatever the term de jour is) loudly and proudly proclaim that it should apply to corporations.

    I think that's because corporations A: respect the laws of the country B: don't attempt to kill civilians. Of course, to my knowledge. Once Apple starts bombing crowded subways, and Microsoft starts ignoring the laws of this country as a matter of course; please tell me.

  6. #106
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Areopagitican View Post
    I think that's because corporations A: respect the laws of the country B: don't attempt to kill civilians. Of course, to my knowledge. Once Apple starts bombing crowded subways, and Microsoft starts ignoring the laws of this country as a matter of course; please tell me.
    I could list plenty of examples of laws that were broken and civilians who died because of the criminal negligence of corporate officers, but that's not the point.

    The Constitution doesn't stop applying to you because you break the law or try to kill civilians, because even then you still have rights.

    The point is that there are people who try to split hairs to the point that they have their own alternate interpretation of the Constitution which only applies to citizens, and yet for some reason are overjoyed at the concept of corporations having civil rights.

    I think that's hilarious.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #107
    Sage
    misterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Last Seen
    02-09-12 @ 08:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,913

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    I do believe that a corporation has the same rights as a person. But I'm perplexed by the fact (in the eyes of some people) that a corporation has more of a right (claim) to personhood than a human pre-birth child does.
    So you think life begins at incorporation, huh?

  8. #108
    Educator nerv14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Last Seen
    02-07-11 @ 07:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    601

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    What a load of crap.

    Everyone has self-interest. Deciding that some shouldn't be able to speak just because they want to make a profit is crazy. I want to make a profit too, by the way.

    You can't just decide that some speech is corrupt or evil and restrict it on those grounds.
    yeah you can.

    its done with no problems all over the world (including here)

    why can't i donate as much money as i want to any candidate in America?

  9. #109
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Corporate Personhood

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    So you think life begins at incorporation, huh?
    Yes,..

    And even more so than just metaphorically.

    When you incorporate a human egg cell with a human sperm cell,.. You create a new "person."

  10. #110
    Sage
    Harry Guerrilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Not affiliated with other libertarians.
    Last Seen
    09-01-17 @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,955

    Re: Should Corporations Have Personhood?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harshaw View Post
    There are many groups which are not corporations which run ads, campaigns, etc. It's hardly just a "side effect" of the formation of corporations.
    I disagree, I'm pretty sure people organized ads and campaigns before the advent of corporations.

    Quote Originally Posted by misterman View Post
    Yes, exactly. Here are a few examples:

    political parties
    charities and other non-profits
    schools and universities
    think tanks
    media outlets

    By their logic, none would have free speech rights. Absurd.
    They do not have free speech rights, absolutely correct.

    Do you believe that all of these entities have arms, mouths, etc?
    They can't even express themselves without the act of a human, a person.
    I was discovering that life just simply isn't fair and bask in the unsung glory of knowing that each obstacle overcome along the way only adds to the satisfaction in the end. Nothing great, after all, was ever accomplished by anyone sulking in his or her misery.
    —Adam Shepard

Page 11 of 71 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •