View Poll Results: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a single celled zygote is in fact an organism

    99 51.30%
  • No, a single celled zygote is not in fact an organism

    94 48.70%
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 249

Thread: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

  1. #81
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    There are multiple definitions of the word, so there are multiple right answers to the poll. If you stipulate a single definition then they cannot both be true, but then the poll would be unnecessary.
    The poll did not ask for definitions of the word organism, it asked "Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?"

    Obviously, that is a matter of which definition of the word organism you agree with.

    And thus both poll selections could be selected by someone with the belief that they were correct in their vote.

    But all of that has no bearing whatsoever as too whether a zygote is an organism or not an organism.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  2. #82
    Puer Aeternus
    Tsunami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-08-16 @ 04:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    The poll did not ask for definitions of the word organism, it asked "Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?"

    Obviously, that is a matter of which definition of the word organism you agree with.

    And thus both poll selections could be selected by someone with the belief that they were correct in their vote.

    But all of that has no bearing whatsoever as too whether a zygote is an organism or not an organism.
    The definition of organism is all that matters. You say it like there is some universal truth in the matter. This isn't something provable or even philosophical, this is semantics. Just like with all of Chuz Life's polls, the distinction between answers is insignificant.
    Last edited by Tsunami; 01-24-10 at 10:07 PM.
    Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

  3. #83
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    The definition of organism is all that matters. You say it like there is some universal truth in the matter. This isn't something provable or even philosophical, this is semantics.
    True.

    I suppose I was disagreeing with your statement "there are multiple right answers to the poll".

    I think it would be better to say "there are multiple answers to the poll".

    Since all answers would be opinions, none of them could be provable as “true”, or for that matter, “false”.

    Thus there are no right or wrong answers to the poll, only answers.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #84
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    joke Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    The definition of organism is all that matters. You say it like there is some universal truth in the matter. This isn't something provable or even philosophical, this is semantics. Just like with all of Chuz Life's polls, the distinction between answers is insignificant.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    True.

    I suppose I was disagreeing with your statement "there are multiple right answers to the poll".

    I think it would be better to say "there are multiple answers to the poll".

    Since all answers would be opinions, none of them could be provable as “true”, or for that matter, “false”.

    Thus there are no right or wrong answers to the poll, only answers.
    I can hardly wait to hear back from some of the universities on this one.

  5. #85
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Just so, I hope you (and everyone else) understands that a zygote is not a parasite.
    biologically it can be considered a parasite. Since the conventional thinking is that a zygote is a good thing, because it means a child, that fact is overlooked and ignored.

    The point I'm trying to make, is its as much a parasite as an organism.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  6. #86
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    fyi Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    biologically it can be considered a parasite. Since the conventional thinking is that a zygote is a good thing, because it means a child, that fact is overlooked and ignored.

    The point I'm trying to make, is its as much a parasite as an organism.
    The difference in reality is the fact that all parasites are 'organisms' to the same degree (either you are one or not) and all 'organisms' have aspects which could be (in some opinions) considered to be 'parasitic.'

    The question in my poll has nothing to do with the parasitic nature of a 'zygote.'

    The question is about whether or not a zygote is an 'organism.'

    Either it is, or it is not.
    Last edited by Chuz Life; 01-24-10 at 10:38 PM.

  7. #87
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    The difference in reality is the fact that all parasites are 'organisms' to the same degree (either you are one or not) and all 'organisms' have aspects which could be (in some opinions) considered to be 'parasitic.'

    The question in my poll has nothing to do with the parasitic nature of a 'zygote.'

    The question is about whether or not a zygote is an 'organism.'

    Either it is, or it is not.
    Yes, and alongside that ideology is the rest of the big screw-ups you can make. Life is not black and white, there are many different shades.

    Biology has lots of intricacies along with it as well. As I'm taking AP Biology right now, I can tell you, its not easy understanding all the fine details.

    I think it'd be best to wait and see what the universities have to say. They're as close as you can get to being official.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  8. #88
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Question Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    Yes, and alongside that ideology is the rest of the big screw-ups you can make. Life is not black and white, there are many different shades.

    Biology has lots of intricacies along with it as well. As I'm taking AP Biology right now, I can tell you, its not easy understanding all the fine details.

    I think it'd be best to wait and see what the universities have to say. They're as close as you can get to being official.
    Did you miss that some of the links I posted in my first few threads are from universities?

  9. #89
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Did you miss that some of the links I posted in my first few threads are from universities?
    No, I saw those, but I'd also like to hear from them in the letters you sent before I make my mind up.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Thumbs up Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    No, I saw those, but I'd also like to hear from them in the letters you sent before I make my mind up.
    You should also know I encourage everyone to do some research of their own. The facts aren't going to change.

    Also,... what the hell?

    You already voted in the affirmative.
    Last edited by Chuz Life; 01-24-10 at 11:00 PM.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •