View Poll Results: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a single celled zygote is in fact an organism

    99 51.30%
  • No, a single celled zygote is not in fact an organism

    94 48.70%
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 249

Thread: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

  1. #61
    Traditionalist
    phattonez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,072

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    This is simply untrue. Michael Vick killed his own dogs and went to jail for it. This proves they are not "property" as you put it.
    So all of the people around the world who eat dog are violating dog rights?

    Rights are man made and enforced. In nature there is no such thing as a right to free speech or a right to vote. If there is please ask your God to come down and show us those laws it created. The burden of proof is on you for claiming where our rights come from.
    Easy to prove. When your rights are violated then something is taken away from you. If your action takes something away from someone else then it is not a right. Only those things which you can do or have that do not take away from others are your rights. This is, as the Declaration says, self-evident.

    LEVEL OF DEVELOPMENT. I do not care about what potential it has to become a person. I care about what is a person and what isn't. A zygote is by no means a person, it has zero viability outside the fetus. I can't stress this enough.
    But what is the defining moment? By quoting the Constitution, you claim that it is basically which side of the vagina that you're on. But this argument is absurd because a baby that maybe was born 5 days ago was still viable. Even if born a few months early that are still viable with an incubator (are people on respirators necessarily dead?). So, we can see that the claim that just "being born" is absurd. This is not when we get our rights. So it must occur at some point in the womb. The onus is on you to prove when that is because it cannot be at birth.

    Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in his holy place? He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to what is false, and does not swear deceitfully. Psalm 24
    "True law is right reason in agreement with nature . . . Whoever is disobedient is fleeing from himself and denying his human nature [and] will suffer the worst penalties . . ." - Cicero

  2. #62
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Yes, it's a living organism. And yes it's human (in the sense that it has a full set of Human DNA). Neither of those things matter though. What matters is whether it's a person in the legal sense.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Exclamation Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Gentlemen, please....

    This thread / poll is about whether or not a single celled 'zygote' of any species is an "organism."

    You are wise to anticipate how this biological fact plays into the abortion debate. But this thread is not the place for that debate. If you want to debate the point at which 'personhood begins' please take it to one of these appropriate threads.

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/aborti...94-person.html

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/aborti...-question.html

    Or start one of your own.

    As for the subject of this forum, I have started a letter writing effort to some of the science departments of some well known universities,.. including one in the U.K.

    EXAMPLE; (Dear: _________)

    " ,........ We are at an impasse.

    It is my understanding that when conception is achieved via fertilization, that the single celled 'zygote' formed (by the union of the sperm and egg) is by definition,... an organism. The person I am debating with refuses to accept this as fact and instead tries to use other references and definitions to try to convince me that it is not.

    In fact, he goes even further and tries to suggest that it doesn't become an organism until days later.

    His arguments include the fact that a zygote could divide and become "two." Which (in his mind) means, it can't be considered as "one." And he also claims that a zygote can not "exist independently" as it is attached to the "mother's body." (never mind that by the time it attaches, cell division may have already began)

    I (again) apologize for this intrusion,... however I really am looking forward to any information you may be willing to share."--Chuz Life

    I'll be posting the responses as I get them.

  4. #64
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    You seem to be hung up on labels. The people I am referring to for the most part call themselves 'pro-choice.' If it were up to me to be labeling them, I would likely be banned by now.
    Ok.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    I can't explain it either.

    Iangb???
    /shrug

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    I think they (wisely and to their credit) are trying to anticipate my next line of questioning.
    Probably

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    No. It is not.
    Oh...

    Bad example then…

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    You're right about that,... But a removed heart would be no more an "organism" than would a pulled tooth or removed tonsils.
    Ok.

    I used an incorrect example, but the argument I was attempting to make still (IMO) has some validity.

    Basically, that while a human zygote is alive and composed of human DNA, it is impossible at this time to prove that it is “human” in the metaphysical sense of the word.

    However, it is also impossible to prove it is NOT “human” in the metaphysical sense of the word.

    Personally, my current opinion is opposed to abortion of any kind unless the mother’s life is endangered by not performing one.

    My reason for this is simple:

    Regardless of whether the zygote or any embryo stage between it and birth are actually self-aware, capable of surviving outside the womb, or whatever…At some future date, it may be.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  5. #65
    Guru
    repeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    07-15-14 @ 12:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,445

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    a zygote is a parasitical symbiotic organism, comparable to a tick. Further along the biological line, it develops into its own being, but before that, its a parasite, albeit an accepted parasite.
    Veni. Vidi. Vici.
    -Gaius Julius Caesar
    The Only Thing to Fear is Fear Itself.
    -Franklin Delano Roosevelt

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Cool Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by repeter View Post
    a zygote is a parasitical symbiotic organism, comparable to a tick. Further along the biological line, it develops into its own being, but before that, its a parasite, albeit an accepted parasite.
    Just so, I hope you (and everyone else) understands that a zygote is not a parasite.

  7. #67
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Just so, I hope you (and everyone else) understands that a zygote is not a parasite.
    I agree with you that a zygote is not a parasite. It does not meet most of the biological definitions of a parasite, mostly because it's the same species as its 'host'. However, the relationship between the zygote and the mother is very similar to the relationship between a parasite and its host.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  8. #68
    Puer Aeternus
    Tsunami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    11-08-16 @ 04:55 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,132

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Just so, I hope you (and everyone else) understands that a zygote is not a parasite.
    A zygote meets the loose definitions of "parasite" as much as it meets the loose definitions of "organism".
    Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude.

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    I agree with you that a zygote is not a parasite. It does not meet most of the biological definitions of a parasite, mostly because it's the same species as its 'host'. However, the relationship between the zygote and the mother is very similar to the relationship between a parasite and its host.
    Indeed it is,... and I suspect that is the source of confusion for those who can't appreciate the facts that disqualify a zygote from being defined as a parasite.

    It is also worth noting that for as similar to a 'parasitic relationship' is (that a zygote and it's mother share) there are things about the relationship which is not common to true parasitic relationships. The way in which the mother's and the child's immune systems interact to not reject one another for example. In some cases, they even boost each others immune systems.

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Cool Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
    A zygote meets the loose definitions of "parasite" as much as it meets the loose definitions of "organism".
    Your vote in the poll doesn't reflect this belief of yours.

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •