View Poll Results: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a single celled zygote is in fact an organism

    99 51.30%
  • No, a single celled zygote is not in fact an organism

    94 48.70%
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 249

Thread: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Question Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    The issue is not whether they are a living human organism, but whether or not they are persons.

    One human cell is a human organism. It contains 22 autosomal pairs and 1 pair of sex chromosomes.

    A human liver cell also contains all of these.

    So does a heart cell.

    So does a brain cell.

    Any cell with a nucleus has these. A zygote has them too.

    They are living organisms. They have human DNA so they are human organisms.
    It appears that you can not comprehend the differences between a "cell" and an "organism."

    It's true, that for the brief point in time that a zygote is only one cell,... that it is "both" a cell and an organism,... There's still no (logical) comparison between a "zygote" which is a complete organism,.. and a cell of any other kind (heart, lung, skin) that is little more than a component of a larger 'organism.'

    CarPiece? <---intentionally mispelled

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Thumbs up Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    It's because I think the question is without real meaning, and I don't like polls that people try and use as gotcha tools. Usually, as in this case, they have not actually thought the whole thing through.
    Take your time.

    Do some research.

    The poll will be here when you return.

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Thumbs up Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    There's a disturbing lack of biological knowledge around here.
    If it's a cell then it's an organism. It has DNA/RNA, organelles, etc. So a cell is an organism. Hence a zygote is an organism. A zygote is a little different in that the DNA in it is not yet active, but it will be, so it's an organism.

    Is it a human? Well, if it's not, then what species is it?

    So yes, a zygote is a human organism. The real question is about when it gets dignity.
    This gets to the root meaning of my other poll, Phatty.

    Phallic punns un-intended.

    I notice, you have yet to vote in that one.

  4. #24
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:50 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,268
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Take your time.

    Do some research.

    The poll will be here when you return.
    Don't even get condescending. I gave you a full answer, which you ignored since it does not fit with your view. PROTIP: there is almost never just two possible answers to any question, so a poll with just two options is almost always poorly designed.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Thumbs up Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Don't even get condescending. I gave you a full answer, which you ignored since it does not fit with your view. PROTIP: there is almost never just two possible answers to any question, so a poll with just two options is almost always poorly designed.
    Almost.

    Got it.

    And, BTW,... I didn't ignore your comment. It was just as meaningless to me as the "lables" you say the definitions were.

    PROTIP; If you want more serious considerations (from me),... you have to give some as well.
    Last edited by Chuz Life; 01-22-10 at 02:13 AM.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    It appears that you can not comprehend the differences between a "cell" and an "organism."
    That's because there is no difference.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    It's true, that for the brief point in time that a zygote is only one cell,... that it is "both" a cell and an organism,... There's still no (logical) comparison between a "zygote" which is a complete organism,.. and a cell of any other kind (heart, lung, skin) that is little more than a component of a larger 'organism.'
    Your use of the word "complete" is not scientific, just a reference to an opinion. A protein is not "complete" until it has all 20 amino acids; a cell that is functioning and respirating could be considered complete, which would include the cells of the various organs, but maybe the cell belongs to a greater system of cells that are not "complete" in function until replication is fully complete, as could be the case of a zygote.

    The fact that a zygote continues to replicate until it becomes a more complex organism does not really speak to completeness or incompleteness, but rather its function. I would call a liver cell complete because it is as complex as it needs to be to perform its function.

    You're trying to prove that a zygote is somehow special and is more complete than other kinds of cells because of its function, but this is a logical fallacy. Every kind of cell is "complete" within the parameters of its function, and together they all make a complete system: your living body.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Post Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Orius View Post
    That's because there is no difference,....

    Your use of the word "complete" is not scientific, just a reference to an opinion. A protein is not "complete" until it has all 20 amino acids; a cell that is functioning and respirating could be considered complete, which would include the cells of the various organs, but maybe the cell belongs to a greater system of cells that are not "complete" in function until replication is fully complete, as could be the case of a zygote.

    The fact that a zygote continues to replicate until it becomes a more complex organism does not really speak to completeness or incompleteness, but rather its function. I would call a liver cell complete because it is as complex as it needs to be to perform its function.

    You're trying to prove that a zygote is somehow special and is more complete than other kinds of cells because of its function, but this is a logical fallacy. Every kind of cell is "complete" within the parameters of its function, and together they all make a complete system: your living body.
    Nice rant,... you could have just asked me what I meant by my use the word 'complete.'

    I meant it as a "whole" as in "not part of."

    A zygote is an organism in and of,... unto itself. A zygote is not a "structural unit"

    A "cell" on the other hand,... is the "smallest structural unit of an organism that is capable of independent functioning, consisting of one or more nuclei, cytoplasm, and various organelles, all surrounded by a semipermeable cell membrane."

    A zygote is not a "structural unit" of an organism,.... It is an organism.

    Your claim (above) that 'there is no difference' is (for that very reason),... false.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Nice rant,... you could have just asked me what I meant by my use the word 'complete.'
    It wasn't a rant. I was giving my opinion. If you don't want to hear what others have you say you should simply not ask, and you can thereby avoid wasting yours and everyone else's time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    I meant it as a "whole" as in "not part of."

    A zygote is an organism in and of,... unto itself. A zygote is not a "structural unit"

    A "cell" on the other hand,... is the "smallest structural unit of an organism that is capable of independent functioning, consisting of one or more nuclei, cytoplasm, and various organelles, all surrounded by a semipermeable cell membrane."

    A zygote is not a "structural unit" of an organism,.... It is an organism.

    Your claim (above) that 'there is no difference' is (for that very reason),... false.
    If all you care about is what a dictionary says, then why did you create this thread? Sounds like you just want to hear your own views reflected back at you, which I won't do. I already said I think a zygote is an organism, but how I arrive at that understanding may be different than you.

    By that definition you posted, a zygote can't be an organism because it can't function independently "unto itself". We don't have zygotes running around and existing wild in nature. They exist in-utero (in mammals) only. Thus it fails to meet the criterion of your own definition of an organism.

    However, if we extend the definition of "organism" to biological matter that is alive, then both a cell and a zygote are organisms. What you are attempting to do is give zygotes "special status" for your anti-choice cause, which is why you are getting defensive when I compare a zygote to the complexity of structural cells of bodily organs.

    The definition you looked up is about scientific classification to make things easier to discern, study, and disseminate through journals. That's different from the philosophical realm where people have different opinions on things.

  9. #29
    Goddess of Bacon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Last Seen
    05-28-12 @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,988

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Yes, it is. Not sure why it matters, though.

  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Last Seen
    12-26-10 @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,083

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by rivrrat View Post
    Yes, it is. Not sure why it matters, though.
    I should have kept things short like you did.

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •