View Poll Results: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, a single celled zygote is in fact an organism

    99 51.30%
  • No, a single celled zygote is not in fact an organism

    94 48.70%
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 249

Thread: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

  1. #181
    Lurker
    iangb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,927
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz
    If it can't live or grow,... how does it go from a one celled zygote to a multicellular embryo? (again,... while still in the petri dish)
    Cleavage is when the zygote splits into many cells without any growth; it ends up made of lots of smaller cells but being the same size. That's as far as it goes, though - it's only after implantation that actual growth occurs.

    EDIT: Any comment on the dictionary stuff?
    The truth may be out there, but lies are in your head. ~Terry Pratchett

  2. #182
    User phildozer9121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    09-18-15 @ 11:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    147

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Yeah right. Like the forthcoming response wouldn't have benefitted the entire class.

    No balls.
    I don't see why that's necessary

    Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean you have to insult me
    Haha. Panty Hawk. I would watch that show.

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by iangb View Post
    Cleavage is when the zygote splits into many cells without any growth; it ends up made of lots of smaller cells but being the same size. That's as far as it goes, though - it's only after implantation that actual growth occurs.

    EDIT: Any comment on the dictionary stuff?
    I'm letting the dicionary stuff fester,... for as long as it takes for me to scribe the post I think necessary to say what i want to say.

    No hurries,... no worries.

    Thought this was interesting,...

    Why not Artificial Wombs?, by Christine Rosen

  4. #184
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    If we can't agreeon the biological beginning of a being (horse, goat or any other animal including man),... how are we expected to agree on any of the other (some metaphysical) aspects?
    We aren’t. And as there is no way to prove when it actually occurs, we probably never will. Until a way of measuring those metaphysical aspects is discovered.

    I think almost everyone would agree that the biological beginning of any of those would be at some point between the moment when a sperm cell and an egg meet, and whenever the future animal is born.

    Arguments as to the exact point obviously abound.

    But it seems to me that they are actually arguments about the definitions of words. Word definitions of this type are opinions, because no one can prove what the words “life”, “organism(s)”, or “zygote” actually mean, as they were defined by humans in the first place, not some ultimate universal constant, unchangeable by any means.

    We could arbitrarily state that life begins when X biological processes start, or occur, or whatever.
    But with the metaphysical aspect being thrown into the mix, perhaps you are “alive” in the metaphysical sense before you enter the body which you will grow and inhabit? Or perhaps you are only alive 0.5 seconds after being born/removed from the womb? Or when you reach the age of 10? How could one prove or disprove any of this? It is impossible, as of yet.

    IMO, the metaphysical/sentient point is obviously the more important, as that is when a potential human actually becomes…human. And as it would seemingly not matter (at least the metaphysical part) when the biological systems start working, the debate over the point at which a future human becomes biologically “alive” seems moot.

    Just my thoughts on the matter.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  5. #185
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Question Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    We aren’t. And as there is no way to prove when it actually occurs, we probably never will. Until a way of measuring those metaphysical aspects is discovered.

    I think almost everyone would agree that the biological beginning of any of those would be at some point between the moment when a sperm cell and an egg meet, and whenever the future animal is born.

    Arguments as to the exact point obviously abound.

    But it seems to me that they are actually arguments about the definitions of words. Word definitions of this type are opinions, because no one can prove what the words “life”, “organism(s)”, or “zygote” actually mean, as they were defined by humans in the first place, not some ultimate universal constant, unchangeable by any means.

    We could arbitrarily state that life begins when X biological processes start, or occur, or whatever.
    But with the metaphysical aspect being thrown into the mix, perhaps you are “alive” in the metaphysical sense before you enter the body which you will grow and inhabit? Or perhaps you are only alive 0.5 seconds after being born/removed from the womb? Or when you reach the age of 10? How could one prove or disprove any of this? It is impossible, as of yet.

    IMO, the metaphysical/sentient point is obviously the more important, as that is when a potential human actually becomes…human. And as it would seemingly not matter (at least the metaphysical part) when the biological systems start working, the debate over the point at which a future human becomes biologically “alive” seems moot.

    Just my thoughts on the matter.
    Time is short,.. so let me see if you can get my point without me splaining it for ya,...

    You just said;
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    IMO, the metaphysical/sentient point is obviously the more important, as that is when a potential human actually becomes… human. And as it would seemingly not matter (at least the metaphysical part) when the biological systems start working, the debate over the point at which a future human becomes biologically “alive” seems moot.
    And you said it right after saying;

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    But it seems to me that they are actually arguments about the definitions of words. Word definitions of this type are opinions, because no one can prove what the words “life”, “organism(s)”, or “zygote” actually mean, as they were defined by humans in the first place, not some ultimate universal constant, unchangeable by any means.
    Are you seeing my point, yet?

  6. #186
    User phildozer9121's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Illinois
    Last Seen
    09-18-15 @ 11:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    147

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post

    Thought this was interesting,...

    Why not Artificial Wombs?, by Christine Rosen
    That is quite interesting, but you will notice that you're still needing a womb
    and,

    "The technique, called extrauterine fetal incubation, involved placing the goat fetus in a plastic container of warmed, amniotic-like fluid, where it was supplied with nutrients through a tube inserted in its umbilical cord"

    The fetus STILL can't metabolize its own food. Biologically, it's just not alive
    Haha. Panty Hawk. I would watch that show.

  7. #187
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Thumbs up Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by phildozer9121 View Post
    That is quite interesting, but you will notice that you're still needing a womb
    and,

    "The technique, called extrauterine fetal incubation, involved placing the goat fetus in a plastic container of warmed, amniotic-like fluid, where it was supplied with nutrients through a tube inserted in its umbilical cord"

    The fetus STILL can't metabolize its own food. Biologically, it's just not alive
    Please,... for the love of Gawd,... and the potential comedic value alone,... I'm begging you,... PLEASE invite your professor to join this conversation.

    Oh my sides.

  8. #188
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuz Life View Post
    Time is short,.. so let me see if you can get my point without me splaining it for ya,...

    ...stuff...

    Are you seeing my point, yet?
    Nope, I think I missed it.

    Are you saying that humans defined the term metaphysical and/or sentient as well, and thus it could be incorrect, and not correctly applied to the situation?

    Well, obviously.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Thumbs up Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by phildozer9121 View Post
    I don't see why that's necessary

    Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean you have to insult me
    Not an insult,...

    Encouragment.

    A dare, ifyou will....

  10. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Nun-ya-dang Bidness
    Last Seen
    02-19-11 @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    3,981

    Question Re: Is a single celled human zygote an 'organism'?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Nope, I think I missed it.

    Are you saying that humans defined the term metaphysical and/or sentient as well, and thus it could be incorrect, and not correctly applied to the situation?

    Well, obviously.
    No,.. To your point that we are not going to agree on the meaning of words like "life" "zygote" "organism", etc,...

    How is it that you think we are going to suddenly agree on the relevant definition of the word "human?"

Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •